RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,205
Posts: 5,346,460
Members: 24,605
Currently online: 510
Newest member: Disco

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 14 2014, 07:42 PM   #196
martok2112
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness:

10 - Khan!!! - Loved it! I loved that they reversed the scene. I loved that Spock began to figure out why him and Kirk worked well together. I love that he wanted to beat the shit out of Khan for killing his friend.
This. Vulcan vs Augment. I hadn't considered this, even while watching the film. Human vs Augment in hand to hand combat has a predictable outcome. Matching Khan against Spock's superior strength made for a 'hell yeah' moment that I appreciate now even more.

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
I agree with all your points, BillJ, although I confess that I still have a bit of a problem with Uhura giving Spock the business in front of her Captain in the middle of that mission. But I do see your point!
Saldana's Uhura does not respect NuKirk. As NuKirk gets comfortable in his own skin and gels into TOS Kirk, I expect his tolerance for this to diminish. May be in the next film we'll get something like: "Keep any relationship trouble in your quarters. There's no place for it on the bridge."
I can see Kirk eventually admonishing Uhura for that....but I think Uhura respects Kirk. After all, he was a major part of why they're still alive after the Narada incident.

I think what has not fully settled in is the notion that Kirk and Uhura were once classmates, and now are captain and subordinate. They still are kinda in that "classmates/peers" mentality.

As for the awkward timing of Uhura's conversation with Spock during the mission to Q'onoS, I liken it to the final battle in the film version of "Master and Commander"....when Captain Aubrey tells his men to act sloppy and un-navy-like. Kirk indirectly ordered his crew to behave similarly....largely in the form of his orders to Hendorf and the other security officer....similar orders were likely given to the others in the party as well. "We're not Starfleet officers. We're K'normian arms dealers/smugglers.". Uhura was just taking her leeway just a little further than most.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 09:37 PM   #197
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

martok2112 wrote: View Post
Fandom sucks the fun out of everything....that's a large reason why I stopped being a fan of anything.
Going to a fan forum to complain about fandom is like going to a nightclub to complain about dancing.
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 10:13 PM   #198
martok2112
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

Going to a Trek movie to complain about it....same thing.

On the serious side though, really, fandoms do tend to suck the fun out of everything, because if someone just enjoys a movie that a few vocal "fans" wanna complain about, and then start doing the whole "more fan than thou" dance...yeah...just takes the fun out of simply enjoying a movie.

Let's face it....if you didn't like the first JJ Trek movie, and then you go to the second one, expecting more of what you didn't like about the first one...then you're just going simply to have something new to bitch about.

I come here to talk about Trek, in all its forms....I don't let fandom constrain my enjoyment of Trek.

And if someone wants to think I'm a dumbass because I liked Star Trek Into Darkness...that is THEIR psychological problem...not mine.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 10:34 PM   #199
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

BigJake wrote: View Post

... going to a nightclub to complain about dancing.
Nice effect.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 10:37 PM   #200
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post

... going to a nightclub to complain about dancing.
Nice effect.
Is that a lens flare?
__________________
"Hello pants." - Gary Busey
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 01:40 AM   #201
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

M'Sharak wrote:
Nice effect.
Ye Gods, I didn't even notice that.

martok2112 wrote: View Post
I come here to talk about Trek, in all its forms....I don't let fandom constrain my enjoyment of Trek.
Nor should you. Just like it would be pretty silly to go to a nightclub expecting everyone to like the same songs and taking it personally if they don't. Right?

And if someone wants to think I'm a dumbass because I liked Star Trek Into Darkness
Intriguing. Do you believe that your liking something that someone else doesn't like as much as you must mean they think you're stupid?
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen

Last edited by BigJake; June 15 2014 at 02:06 AM. Reason: reworded slightly
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 02:37 AM   #202
martok2112
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

BigJake wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote:
Nice effect.
Ye Gods, I didn't even notice that.
Ohhh.....yousa maken da' bombad lens flare!

BigJake wrote:
martok2112 wrote: View Post
I come here to talk about Trek, in all its forms....I don't let fandom constrain my enjoyment of Trek.
Nor should you. Just like it would be pretty silly to go to a nightclub expecting everyone to like the same songs and taking it personally if they don't. Right?
Exactalioso. And considering that I work in a club as a singer (thank GOD I don't have to sing Justin Bieber, One Direction, or any of that pissy-pants boy band crap...LOL), it is even moreso. Granted, most people that come into any of the music clubs in New Orleans generally expect to hear the same six songs over and over (Sweet Home Alabama, Sweet Caroline, Sweet Child O' Mine, Summer of '69, Jesse's Girl, and Don't Stop Believin'...LOL). It's like, when folks cross into the threshold of the French Quarter, their musical IQ goes abysmal.

BigJake wrote:
Martok2112 wrote:
And if someone wants to think I'm a dumbass because I liked Star Trek Into Darkness
Intriguing. Do you believe that your liking something that someone else doesn't like as much as you must mean they think you're stupid?
My friend, I have met at least one such person online(hardcore, bred to the bone, dyed in the wool TOS fan/completely anti-JJ Abrams) who indeed judged me a dumbass. And there was no reasoning whatsoever with this guy. We had pretty good discussions at first til this guy started showing his true colors. So, yeah, I tend to get a bit defensive because I know there are plenty more of his ilk out there.

You and I (and many others here) are cool. We have differing opinions, and recognize them as such.

I will say this: If it weren't for fandoms, I would not meet cool folk such as yourself and others on this board, or other boards. I don't despise the folk...I don't despise fans....it's the general fandoms I've turned my back on. (Kinda like an Atheist who doesn't mind people of faith, it's largely the organized religion he/she hates.) (sidenote: I'm not an Atheist, just an Afan. )
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 02:51 AM   #203
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

martok2112 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

I used to be sure that it was Rick Berman that sucked the fun out of Star Trek. Recently, I've become convinced that it is fandom that has sucked the fun out of it.

--------
Definitely convinced that fandom has sucked the fun out of Star Trek.

Fandom sucks the fun out of everything....that's a large reason why I stopped being a fan of anything.


I'd like to say I make my own fun blah de blah but..

I did pretty much abandon the SW fandom because the prequel haters killed it for me. So fucking venomous at every mention of the prequels which at the time were, you know, HALF the franchise. I'm kinda getting back into it though, with all the new stuff coming up.

And I've abandoned the ST:XI forum here for the most part though at one time it was my main forum for posting. Because, haters. Just freaking have a hate thread and a love thread and let me hang out in the love thread and not have to read WHY my love is wrong every other post. Might be an exaggeration, haven't been here in a while

Goodbye, I'm going back to VOY now where we have the lizard babies to remind us about the F word (fun, not frakk).
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 03:22 AM   #204
martok2112
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

teacake wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

I used to be sure that it was Rick Berman that sucked the fun out of Star Trek. Recently, I've become convinced that it is fandom that has sucked the fun out of it.

--------
Definitely convinced that fandom has sucked the fun out of Star Trek.

Fandom sucks the fun out of everything....that's a large reason why I stopped being a fan of anything.


I'd like to say I make my own fun blah de blah but..
Indeed.

teacake wrote:
I did pretty much abandon the SW fandom because the prequel haters killed it for me. So fucking venomous at every mention of the prequels which at the time were, you know, HALF the franchise. I'm kinda getting back into it though, with all the new stuff coming up.
Isn't it insane? I watched a parody one time about hardcore, non-special edition fans of the original trilogy, and one guy sits there with a baby (dressed like Yoda) in his arms, and he says: "Ummm...we do not watch the special editions in this house." as if it were against his religion to do so. Granted, I know it was a parody, but the sad part is, there are actually people out there that are like that.

I enjoyed the prequel trilogy. In fact, Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars movie to date...just barely (like, razor's edge barely) nudging out The Empire Strikes Back. I don't get the hatred for the prequel trilogy either. I used to be a Star Wars fan, but turned my back on it for the very reasons you cited. That's another part of why I've turned my back on fandom in general.

To be blunt: I am a lover of most sci-fi, but a fan of none of it.

Bottom line when it comes to Star Wars: It is/was George Lucas' baby, and if he wanted to alter the original trilogy to make his "definitive" vision, more power to him.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:09 AM   #205
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

teacake wrote: View Post

And I've abandoned the ST:XI forum here for the most part though at one time it was my main forum for posting. Because, haters. Just freaking have a hate thread and a love thread and let me hang out in the love thread and not have to read WHY my love is wrong every other post. Might be an exaggeration, haven't been here in a while
It's pretty mild and friendly here now, compared to the wild & woolly days of 2008, 2009, and the first half of 2010. Also a lot quieter, though part of that's down to the retirement of some of the uncontrollably angry people.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:12 AM   #206
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

By "retirement" you mean the Vengeance fell on them, right?

I'll go have a look then, I do miss this place.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 04:34 AM   #207
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

teacake wrote: View Post
By "retirement" you mean the Vengeance fell on them, right?
Oh, no - the Vengeance hadn't been built yet. More like an accumulation of bad karma, in that it has a way of catching up with one eventually.

teacake wrote: View Post
I'll go have a look then, I do miss this place.
It's not exactly the same as it was, of course; things will change over time.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 11:25 AM   #208
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post

And I've abandoned the ST:XI forum here for the most part though at one time it was my main forum for posting. Because, haters. Just freaking have a hate thread and a love thread and let me hang out in the love thread and not have to read WHY my love is wrong every other post. Might be an exaggeration, haven't been here in a while
It's pretty mild and friendly here now, compared to the wild & woolly days of 2008, 2009, and the first half of 2010. Also a lot quieter, though part of that's down to the retirement of some of the uncontrollably angry people.
It must have been over a year since the last furious Delta Vega thread. White Khan to the rescue!

But I think we did manage to squeeze some fun out of even the most fractious times here.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 11:27 AM   #209
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

I miss my slash buddies.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 02:38 PM   #210
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

BigJake wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post
Fandom sucks the fun out of everything....that's a large reason why I stopped being a fan of anything.
Going to a fan forum to complain about fandom is like going to a nightclub to complain about dancing.
Usually I'm complaining about those idiots just standing on the dancefloor with their drinks in their hands, staring at the girls, never making a move. They are blocking everyone who want to dance.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.