Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 13 2014, 08:40 PM   #181
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

BigJake wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Somewhere along the line the Vulcans went off the rails.
You mean around "Amok Time"?

Pretty much. Though once we hit the film the train's off the rails and over the cliff. Vulcans are now all about ceremony and ritual.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 08:58 PM   #182
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I was always nonplussed by Vulcans having fight-to-the-death rituals, but the other ritual stuff I never minded too much. It's one of those surface contradictions that makes a culture feel actually organic.
Old June 13 2014, 09:03 PM   #183
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Spock in the wilderness (TMP) and He is Risen Spock (STIII) took it too far.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 09:10 PM   #184
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I for one would watch Spock and Uhura bicker a thousand times before watching them sit in "professional" silence pretending to push buttons.

If they'd kept bickering during the Klingon attack or the battle on the surface, yes it would be unprofessional. But they didn't - they were talking while nothing was happening and were all business the moment something came up.
Old June 13 2014, 09:18 PM   #185
BigJake
Rear Admiral

The irrelevant false dichotomy can be a fun genre. I, for instance, would rather watch...

... Kirk and Spock unprofessionally play parchesi than sit around doing paperwork.
... Scotty and Bones unprofessionally slap-fight like twelve year olds than watch them spend a day swabbing the decks together.
... Keenser and Jar-Jar Binks being painfully fed into a running engine than doing anything else at all.

Not particularly useful... but fun!
Old June 13 2014, 09:31 PM   #186
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

But you duck my point that there was nothing unprofessional about Spock and Uhura's convo, since it took place while a fat lot of nothing was happening.
Old June 13 2014, 09:43 PM   #187
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I for one would watch Spock and Uhura bicker a thousand times before watching them sit in "professional" silence pretending to push buttons.
+1
Old June 13 2014, 09:47 PM   #188
BigJake
Rear Admiral

But you duck my point that there was nothing unprofessional about Spock and Uhura's convo, since it took place while a fat lot of nothing was happening.
Assuming such a moment was necessary -- which is questionable in a movie that time-cheats as radically as STID -- there are any number of ways to spend it that don't require the characters to be either a) pushing buttons in silence, or b) bickering about their relationship. I mean, you don't really need it explained to you that those are not the only two options.

Really, of course, the moment isn't so much about their relationship as it is about providing Spock a chance for a little exposition about his character arc, which is about learning to make peace with his grief the way Kirk is learning to deal with real responsibility. The narrative purpose it's serving in the bigger picture is clear enough... which is different from necessarily selling it as a really great character moment for him or Uhura.

The "relationship stuff comes up at awkward times" rationale that was proferred earlier by BillJ kind of bothers me now that I think on it a bit. It's kind of conflating everyday relationship drama with high-stakes professional settings and pretending that it's perfectly normal for women to behave flakily in the latter, which isn't the case.
Old June 13 2014, 09:52 PM   #189
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
+1
I used to be sure that it was Rick Berman that sucked the fun out of Star Trek. Recently, I've become convinced that it is fandom that has sucked the fun out of it.

The "relationship stuff comes up at awkward times" rationale that was proferred earlier by BillJ kind of bothers me now that I think on it a bit. It's kind of conflating everyday relationship drama with high-stakes professional settings and pretending that it's perfectly normal for women to behave flakily in the latter, which isn't the case.
What the fuck are you talking about? Nowhere did I say that she acted "flakily". She was simply someone with something on their mind that needed to be said. Since they were on a mission with low odds of success (per Spock) and may DIE, she figured there might not be another time to say it.

Might want to actually pay attention to the film you're constantly complaining about.

Definitely convinced that fandom has sucked the fun out of Star Trek.
Old June 13 2014, 09:55 PM   #190
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Recently, I've become convinced that it is fandom that has sucked the fun out of it.
Edgy.
Old June 13 2014, 10:38 PM   #191
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post
You forget her presense on the Enterprise is the only reason ADM Marcus ceased his attack.
I thought that's where they were going, except that he didn't cease his attack; he just beamed her aboard and carried on. It's Scotty that saves them, by sabotaging the Vengeance -- which was going to happen with or without her.

Basically nothing at all happens in the script that requires her to be there except the flashing scene. Trek is no stranger to skin, but it is unusual for an ostensibly major character serve no narrative purpose at all outside of that. So I get why that bugs people.
Now, that's not all that happened... I'm not saying her part was shakespeare or anything, but it wasn't just the undies shot either.
Old June 14 2014, 12:13 PM   #192
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

+1
This is some kind of goddam seal of truth.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacake; June 14 2014 at 01:01 PM.
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 01:40 PM   #193
Mario de Monti
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
London's Calling
Khan's theme is my favourite of the nuTrek soundtrack.
Oh come now KingDaniel, don't be shy..

We need to hear it

I know I've listened to this piece a thousand times
An amazing piece of music, I love it. Which reminds me: has anyone heard if a complete soundtrack release is planned for STID, as there was for ST09?
Old June 14 2014, 01:56 PM   #194
austen_pierce
Captain

Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness:

10 - Khan!!! - Loved it! I loved that they reversed the scene. I loved that Spock began to figure out why him and Kirk worked well together. I love that he wanted to beat the shit out of Khan for killing his friend.
This. Vulcan vs Augment. I hadn't considered this, even while watching the film. Human vs Augment in hand to hand combat has a predictable outcome. Matching Khan against Spock's superior strength made for a 'hell yeah' moment that I appreciate now even more.

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
I agree with all your points, BillJ, although I confess that I still have a bit of a problem with Uhura giving Spock the business in front of her Captain in the middle of that mission. But I do see your point!
Saldana's Uhura does not respect NuKirk. As NuKirk gets comfortable in his own skin and gels into TOS Kirk, I expect his tolerance for this to diminish. May be in the next film we'll get something like: "Keep any relationship trouble in your quarters. There's no place for it on the bridge."
Old June 14 2014, 06:34 PM   #195
martok2112
Commander

I used to be sure that it was Rick Berman that sucked the fun out of Star Trek. Recently, I've become convinced that it is fandom that has sucked the fun out of it.

--------
Definitely convinced that fandom has sucked the fun out of Star Trek.

Fandom sucks the fun out of everything....that's a large reason why I stopped being a fan of anything.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote