TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 4 2014, 06:31 PM   #76
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Can a circular bridge have a back? Uhura's at 11 o'clock. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Paul Winfield bought it in TREK II, and I was somewhat bummed. But if you put that in historical context, you had to EXPECT that. He croaked over and over in TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING, DAMNATION ALLEY, THE TERMINATOR, and BLUE CITY, before and after TWOK. Maybe he wanted that in his contract.

Rather like the early career of Bill Paxton, who kicked four film buckets in 1990 alone.

Does Franklyn Seales's assistant to Scotty in TMP count as a character?
Old June 4 2014, 06:33 PM   #77
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

scotpens wrote: View Post
Nichelle's MLK story is like the prize fish someone claims they caught but you never see -- it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
The first time I heard it, I thought the same thing. It very well could be false, but since I don't have any reason to believe that she's a serial liar, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, though I won't defend this story vehemently.

A shame we can't ask him ourselves :/
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 06:36 PM   #78
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

foxhot wrote: View Post
Can a circular bridge have a back? Uhura's at 11 o'clock.
And the bridge isn't even oriented directly forward anyway. It's rotated a bit off the center line.

As for Terrell's death: It's required for at least two reasons: 1) Terrell has a legitimate reason to die - he sacrifices his life (he had to have known that the Ceti eel would kill him) rather than be ordered to kill Kirk. And 2) he's a guest; of course the guest captain, regardless of race, is much more likely to die, because they're not going to kill off a regular. Terrell didn't die because he was black - he died because he wasn't Kirk.
Old June 4 2014, 06:40 PM   #79
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
Can a circular bridge have a back? Uhura's at 11 o'clock.
And the bridge isn't even oriented directly forward anyway. It's rotated a bit off the center line.

As for Terrell's death: It's required for at least two reasons: 1) Terrell has a legitimate reason to die - he sacrifices his life (he had to have known that the Ceti eel would kill him) rather than be ordered to kill Kirk. And 2) he's a guest; of course the guest captain, regardless of race, is much more likely to die, because they're not going to kill off a regular. Terrell didn't die because he was black - he died because he wasn't Kirk.
A fate shared by countless red shirts.

Of course most of them were White, which means.... I have no idea, but I am sure it means something and I am offended by that!

A Night at the Opera
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 06:52 PM   #80
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post

Of course most of them were White, which means.... I have no idea, but I am sure it means something and I am offended by that!
The redshirt death thing just goes to further prove the racism, implying that only white people are worthy of dying for their cause.
Old June 4 2014, 07:15 PM   #81
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

The problem was that we had seen Andrew Probert’s original ............

Bob
Those threads really did blow up into giant crap storms. You'd think there would be room for a differing point of view.
Old June 4 2014, 07:21 PM   #82
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Alrik wrote: View Post

The problem was that we had seen Andrew Probert’s original ............

Bob
Those threads really did blow up into giant crap storms. You'd think there would be room for a differing point of view.
I'm new. To what are you referring? Or is that a question that is against the rules?
Old June 4 2014, 07:22 PM   #83
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Drat, that's kind of too bad about the MLK story. But whatevs.
Old June 4 2014, 07:22 PM   #84
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

AustNerevar wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post

The redshirt death thing just goes to further prove the racism, implying that only white people are worthy of dying for their cause.
What it the person who was wearing the Redshirt was black, female or Asian? Was does that mean?

A Night at the Opera
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 07:27 PM   #85
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

Only one TOS black crewman ever cashed his chips onscreen: Watkins from THAT WHICH SURVIVES. Stardate-wise, he may have officially been the last as well.
Old June 4 2014, 07:46 PM   #86
Alrik
Rear Admiral

AustNerevar wrote: View Post
I'm new. To what are you referring? Or is that a question that is against the rules?
It's okay to ask. Bob outlined what went down a page back. If you want to read through them, here are the links he provided.

... the TNG thread

The Fan Art thread

Bob

BigJake wrote: View Post
Drat, that's kind of too bad about the MLK story. But whatevs.
I don't doubt that there was some kind of communication between Nichelle and MLK regarding her staying with the show. Its just that over the years, every time she tells it, it changes a little. The way she tells it now is very different from the first time I heard her tell it back in the 70's. That's why some are starting to question it.
Old June 4 2014, 08:08 PM   #87
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote: View Post
The OP seems the racist one to me. One should learn to be colour blind when it comes to Star Trek.
I know this wasn't your intent, and that you meant it positively as in everyone should be treated equally (and we should strive for that), so forgive me for using your post as a starting point, but while it makes a nice soundbite, being "color blind" doesn't actually solve anything or address the very real problem of racial inequality we face in the world today. It sweeps uncomfortable issues under the rug by pretending that race (artificial construct though it is) is not a major or even the dominant factor in the continuing interpersonal and institutional inequality and injustice faced by minorities around the world.
Not saying it is. Not really talking about the world today, merely that I saw that opening post and had to laugh at it. Especially the one on Admiral Cartwright being outed as a "villain" at the end of Trek VI (only one of many saboteurs btw) implies the franchise is racist, simply because he's portrayed by an actor who happens to be African-American
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 08:23 PM   #88
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
The OP seems the racist one to me. One should learn to be colour blind when it comes to Star Trek.
So it's just coincidence or just natural biological superiority that 4 out of 5 of the Commanders in Star Trek were Caucasians?

You really can't separate race from Trek given how paramount a subject it is in America and Trek is very much a cultural artifact of America. If there was honest color blindness in Star Trek, there wouldn't be four white guys as Captains in the first place!

Last edited by Hound of UIster; June 4 2014 at 09:33 PM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 08:52 PM   #89
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

Way back in The Original Series episode "Court Martial", Commodore Stone appears as a human of African descent who outranks Kirk.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 08:57 PM   #90
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

There has certainly been a legacy in television in general to usually feature white actors in more prominent, commanding roles than non-white actors. I especially liked 30 Rock's commentary on that in their live episode. Star Trek is not innocent of playing into that trend.

But when you start calling it racist every time a white character gets a promotion or a black character possesses any kind of character flaw, you hard a hard time maintaining credibility. Not every casting decision is a political statement. Race shouldn't be considered in either direction with casting decisions.

And I have a hard time seeing Geordi as a negative stereotype. He's no more subservient in his role than O'Brien in the same position in DS9 but you would never say O'Brien portrays Irishmen as subservient people. Geordi is shown as an extremely competent technical nerd lacking in social skills. If a white character were shown with the exact same personality he would just be seen as a run of the mill nerd.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote