RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,807
Posts: 5,634,571
Members: 25,483
Currently online: 583
Newest member: Hatshepsut

TrekToday headlines

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Takei On StarTalk
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Saldana: No Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 23

TV Alert: Chris Pine
By: T'Bonz on Mar 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 13 2014, 01:17 AM   #211
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: Spock of Ages
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

I'm a graduate of San Jose State. OT, but it doesn't get mentioned all that often.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 03:14 AM   #212
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' on Ligon II...
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I'm a graduate of San Jose State. OT, but it doesn't get mentioned all that often.
I'm going to get a bit off-topic as well but I want to say:

Awesome!

It's a popular school out here in the Bay Area.

I am accepted for the Library Science Master's program for the Fall....but I think I want something a bit more in line with writing or film that is actually practical. (Not too mention, I don't really need a Master's at this moment).
__________________
#BlackLivesMatter/#CrimingWhileWhite/#icantbreathe
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 04:44 AM   #213
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: Spock of Ages
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I'm a graduate of San Jose State. OT, but it doesn't get mentioned all that often.
I'm going to get a bit off-topic as well but I want to say:

Awesome!

It's a popular school out here in the Bay Area.

I am accepted for the Library Science Master's program for the Fall....but I think I want something a bit more in line with writing or film that is actually practical. (Not too mention, I don't really need a Master's at this moment).
The girl I dated while at SJSU was a Library Science major for a while. Started as pre-Vet, then Library Science, but I think her final degree was in Physical Education. She was a bit flighty. I was an Art major! Stuck to it all the way!
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 05:01 AM   #214
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' on Ligon II...
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I'm a graduate of San Jose State. OT, but it doesn't get mentioned all that often.
I'm going to get a bit off-topic as well but I want to say:

Awesome!

It's a popular school out here in the Bay Area.

I am accepted for the Library Science Master's program for the Fall....but I think I want something a bit more in line with writing or film that is actually practical. (Not too mention, I don't really need a Master's at this moment).
The girl I dated while at SJSU was a Library Science major for a while. Started as pre-Vet, then Library Science, but I think her final degree was in Physical Education. She was a bit flighty. I was an Art major! Stuck to it all the way!
Yeah, it seemed like she was trying to figure out which major truly interested her.
__________________
#BlackLivesMatter/#CrimingWhileWhite/#icantbreathe
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 03:01 PM   #215
mos6507
Captain
 
mos6507's Avatar
 
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

scotpens wrote: View Post
It's a writers' trope known as the "Planet of Hats."
Not a fan of that term as it doesn't really nail what this is. The real antecedent of Star Trek is probably Gulliver's Travels. You use entire populations of strange people to illustrate an ideological viewpoint.

It's just like how so many SF novels revolve around a dystopian "what-if". You can anthologize that by having the ship visit one planet or another where the course of development of that species went down one tangent or another.
__________________
Fem Trekz on Facebook
mos6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 01:40 AM   #216
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

It seems not one interviewer ever seems to ask Nichelle at which event or on what date this particular MLK encounter happened.
__________________
* * *
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
—Will Rogers
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 02:27 AM   #217
Push The Button
Fleet Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Maurice wrote: View Post
It seems not one interviewer ever seems to ask Nichelle at which event or on what date this particular MLK encounter happened.
She told the MLK story on an episode of AMC's Comic Book Men earlier this year.

I want the story to be true, because it really is a great story, but I have my doubts.
__________________
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
Leonard Simon Nimoy
1931 - 2015
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 07:45 AM   #218
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

She tells the story in practically every interview I ever run across with her. I've looked and I can't find a single reference to her mentioning it before TMP, though.
__________________
* * *
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
—Will Rogers
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 08:02 AM   #219
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Maurice wrote: View Post
She tells the story in practically every interview I ever run across with her. I've looked and I can't find a single reference to her mentioning it before TMP, though.
Was there a mention of the story in one of the early books about the series? I seem to recall it mentioned in one, perhaps 'The Making of Star Trek' by Stephan Whitfield. As I remember it was a phone call, but not having the books or having read them in decades it could just be a false memory.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 02:58 PM   #220
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

It's not in TMOST.
__________________
* * *
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
—Will Rogers
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 05:26 PM   #221
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Part of the problem with the Reverend King story is that Nickels obviously embellished it through the years, which doesn't automatically mean it didn't happen in it's simplest form.

A short note in the mail telling her to stick with the show. Then it's a personal phone call. Then it's a meeting with King while he is in Los Angeles for some big speech.

However, the fact that the story kept changing with each telling does cast doubt.


Last edited by T'Girl; June 14 2014 at 05:36 PM.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 05:42 AM   #222
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Maurice wrote: View Post
It's not in TMOST.
Thanks, I couldn't be sure if it was something I imagined or read.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 10:47 PM   #223
Sran
Commodore
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Part of the problem with the Reverend King story is that Nickels obviously embellished it through the years, which doesn't automatically mean it didn't happen in it's simplest form.
Her name is Nichols.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 10:56 PM   #224
urbandefault
Fleet Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Lemon Wacky Hello
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

I read it somewhere in the mid 70s, don't know which book.

MLK's niece, Dr. Alveda King, still tells the story that her uncle encouraged Nichelle to stay with the show.
__________________
"GARY BUSEY!" - Gary Busey
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 11:01 PM   #225
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

T'Girl wrote: View Post
A short note in the mail telling her to stick with the show. Then it's a personal phone call. Then it's a meeting with King while he is in Los Angeles for some big speech.

However, the fact that the story kept changing with each telling does cast doubt.
Sort of like the "game of telephone"..

LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.