Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 10 2014, 05:36 PM   #76
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: The Most controversial Question

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
BlastHardcheese wrote: View Post
The Doctor isn't openly straight. Therefore, he shouldn't be openly gay either.
Since I don't want to slog through the rest of this thread, (which mostly seems to exist only to be provocative anyway), I thought I would just repost the portion of BlastHardcheese's post that is basically what I was going to say.
It needs to be said

Every other Doctor after him had his closest relationship with a woman, generally in sexy clothing (Until McCoy was able to become so close with Ace, who was allowed to remain Tom-Boysih. And of course, SarahJane never had to endure "Sexy Outfit" Costuming).

Two's closest, most dear relationship was with Jamie. He was far more important than Victoria, or Zoe to the Doctor. Consider in The Space Pirates, the three of them are all knocked out. The Doctor, then next to him is Zoe, and next to her Jamie. The Doctor wakes up first, and climbs over the still unconscious Zoe, shouting out "Jamie, Jamie". Even with the closest relationships being with the Female Companion (Generally in Sexy Clothing), most Doctors would check the Companion/person, immediately next to them. I think that shows an extreme attraction to Jamie. Wether you view that as Sexual or in awe of his personality, it still, IMHO, shows an Orientation other than Straight, when he ignores both Victoria's and Zoe's Feminine Wiles
I'd probably guess it was more of a father son relationship than anything sexual.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:04 PM   #77
borgboy
Fleet Captain

There's a scene in The Invasion where Jamie is idly stroking the Doctor's chest while they're talking, and the Doctor isn't the least bit bothered by it. Frazer Hines who played Jamie admits that he and Troughton played the Doctor and Jamie as being gay for laughs, so if someone sees a relationship there, it seems like a valid interpretation. Watch for that scene in Invasion, it's really hard to see that and not see the possibility.
While the Doctor's never been explicitly straight, he has had female love interests whose feelings he returned, with Rose and his wife River. He's never had a male love interest in the same way, not openly the way his hetero loves have been, only subtext. I would LOVE for the Doctor to have a same sex romance. There's no reason not to except homophobia and/or heterosexism.
It's more likely we could get a gay companion, one that's really gay and not "future-y omnisexual, attracted to everybody and everything".
I'd love a female Doctor, there's no reason why he couldn't regenerate into a female, and he has mentioned in passing a Time Lord who did change genders. I would want an A list grand dame, an older woman with some gravitas like Maggie Smith, Judi Dench or Helen Mirren.
Old June 16 2014, 04:26 AM   #78
Lance
Commodore

BlastHardcheese wrote: View Post
The Doctor isn't openly straight. Therefore, he shouldn't be openly gay either. The fact that he embraces all life whether it be straight or gay or pansexual is enough.
This. Traditionally the Doctor (certainly in the classic series) was always above any sexual definition whatsoever, despite the obvious conclusions from having a grand-daughter etc. The modern show on the other hand has tended to lean him more towards being straight, which is ironic given the showrunner who made this change is openly gay himself, but in an ideal world the Doctor should be either gender preference neutral or just open to any and all, without being pinned down to any one particular one.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 06:11 PM   #79
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
I'd love a female Doctor, there's no reason why he couldn't regenerate into a female, and he has mentioned in passing a Time Lord who did change genders. I would want an A list grand dame, an older woman with some gravitas like Maggie Smith, Judi Dench or Helen Mirren.
While fabulous actors, I feel like that would limit the amount of action they could participate in. I would be worried that Maggie was going to break a hip or something.

I think Lara Pulver, who played Irene Adler on Sherlock, would be great. OR, also from Sherlock, Amanda Abbington.
Old June 16 2014, 06:42 PM   #80
Starkers
Admiral

Pulver is far too conventionally attractive. I'm not suggesting he should be unattractive, but on the whole even when he is attractive it's an unconventional look (aside from maybe Davison and McGann). Look at Nine, Ten and Eleven. All had their fans, yet not a one of them could be considered a classic leading man.

If they ever do go for a female Doctor I see them going for someone akin to Olivia Colman

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 07:11 PM   #81
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I wouldn't want the first female Doctor to be a traditional "babe", just like the Doctor really should be a square jawed underwear male model.
Old June 16 2014, 08:55 PM   #82
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Pulver is far too conventionally attractive.
Perhaps. But, what I most like about her, is that she portrays wicked smart very well. She just seems SMART.