Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 7 2014, 11:59 AM   #61
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: BLURAY hype

8472 wrote: View Post
Where is your source for the claims that the Star Trek series were all shot on film? And even if that were true, analog film has no digital resolution, so you're wrong, either way. Films will look better on bluray because you can see the film grain with more detail, but not TV series shot on tape. But even something shot on 1080p digital will look better than anything shot on film.
I've just caught up on this thread. I'd normally skip a reply to your post as you've been corrected by several members already. However, it strikes me your assertions are so misinformed they are worthy of consideration as trolling.

If not, please do some easy research as suggested. Cheers.
Old June 7 2014, 01:20 PM   #62
Salinga
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

Best to allow the ignorant remain ignorant. Have a great day!
The troll in 8472 is strong. I suggest ignoring that user; feeding him will only make him more enthusiastic.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 07:07 PM   #63
MacLeod
Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Calling Blu-ray "hype" is at least 5 years behind the times. I have a shelf of 50 HD-DVDs -- way to back the wrong format just because I detest region coding with a passion. I'll probably end up biting the bullet and buying the required tech to watch 4K UHD or whatever it's branded as. I itch to own some classic films in the best format available and that includes the Star Trek movies -- sad first-world consumer that I am.
I loathe region coding as well, but I cheated when it came to DVD my first DVD player, played all regions.

Fortunatly for blu-ray, many discs are region free.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 09:41 PM   #64
Jewel
Ensign

What season of TNG has the best (ie the most extensive) special features? I don't own the DVDs (have seen all of the special features on them from library rentals though) and am interested in getting a season or two of the BluRays. I am a big fan of special features like cast and crew interviews, episode commentaries, visual effects development, etc. I'm mostly interested in Seasons 3-5. Thanks! PS I have looked at the threads in the TNG forum.

DS9forever wrote: View Post
The special features on the TNG and Enterprise Blu-rays have been excellent, well worth the purchases.
Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 11:27 PM   #65
RAMA
Vice Admiral

DVD and 1080p are obsolete.
It's part of nature too
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 11:32 PM   #66
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

RAMA wrote: View Post
No, not at all. Not even remotely.
Old June 8 2014, 12:01 AM   #67
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

How? 1080p hasn't even reached a market saturation point and DVD's are still selling as well. The U.S. broadband infrastructure is still a ways away from being able to handle 4K video in a mass market setting.

EDIT: I'm watching a 1080p stream of "The Last Outpost" from Amazon Prime. With a PS4, hard wired to the modem that gets 50Mbps, it looks nowhere near as good as the Blu-ray's.

Last edited by BillJ; June 8 2014 at 12:19 AM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 07:32 AM   #68
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Jewel wrote: View Post
What season of TNG has the best (ie the most extensive) special features? I don't own the DVDs (have seen all of the special features on them from library rentals though) and am interested in getting a season or two of the BluRays. I am a big fan of special features like cast and crew interviews, episode commentaries, visual effects development, etc. I'm mostly interested in Seasons 3-5. Thanks! PS I have looked at the threads in the TNG forum.
I think it's season 2 that has the 2013 cast reunion about an hour and a half long, great stuff. Season 3 has a great interview of the writing team from season 3 onwards hosted by Seth Macfarland. That's also about an hour and a ahalf long. I haven't got season 4 yet.

The special features for the first three seasons are excellent. An episode or two has commentaries. Blooper reels, etc. Great great stuff.

Do you even know what 1080p is?? HD is just now getting popular. It's hardly obsolete. And DVD probably won't be obsolete for another five to ten years.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 12:19 AM   #69
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Salinga wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Best to allow the ignorant remain ignorant. Have a great day!
The troll in 8472 is strong. I suggest ignoring that user; feeding him will only make him more enthusiastic.
Kind of reminds me of a guy who haunted (probably still haunts) nolanfan.com, who uses his techspeak (a LITTLE knowledge is dangerous, he is proof of that) to explain how digital is 'superior' in rez and quality to any film. You can point to how real experts explain that you can't even capture all the qualities of anamorphic 35mm on an EIGHT-k scan, let alone 4k or 2k, and it just don't register.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 12:57 PM   #70
Echtzeit
Lieutenant

The TNG Blu-Rays are amazing. Can't wait for DS9 to be remastered that way.
Old June 9 2014, 05:55 PM   #71
Campe98
Commodore

I love blu-ray and I think its a great format. However, sales on blu-rays have been described as anemic. Additionally, streaming, while certainly not reaching the levels of DVD or blu-ray are beginning to make some traction.

Personally, for space reasons, monetary reasons (I buy most titles on sale) and for my desire not to buy as many movies, I have cut back on my purchases of physical media considerably. More often than not, unless it's a movie I really, really, really need to see in full HD, I'll buy the streaming version. Hard drive space is cheap and doesn't take nearly the room as another shelf for my blu-rays. Honestly, more often than not, I'll rent a movie from Redbox. Case in point, while I own the entire series of TOS on blu, I have not purchased TNG and while the extras interest me, I'm more likely to purchase them on iTunes if and when they go on sale. But that's just me.
Old June 9 2014, 10:56 PM   #72
MacLeod
Admiral

It depends on were you are though whilst blu-ray sales might have grown in the USA 4.2% in the USA vs 2012, in the UK they grew by 10% vs 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25559821

Of course that doesn't paint the whole picture
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote