To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 3 2014, 01:49 PM   #16
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: BLURAY hype

BillJ wrote: View Post
bbailey861 wrote: View Post

This. There is a big difference from DVD to Blu-ray. That's as far as I'll go, though. I don't see 4K being in my future.
I'm sure 4K will be great. But I'm with you, I'm not sure with my eyesight that I would get much out of it.
That's exactly my reason as well, the eyesight. I was in a Sony Store looking at the 4K TVs. Yes, it was very good, but the difference between that and Blu-ray, IMHO, was negligible. I'm in my 50s now and my eyesight will only continue to get worse as the years fly by.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 02:13 PM   #17
NewHorizon
Captain

JesterFace wrote: View Post
How interested are you of the new format? Honestly, I'm not.
I wouldn't exactly call Bluray a new format. It has been around for something like 10 years now.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 02:23 PM   #18
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Given how good BRs look on 50-60" tvs, I think 4K is only going to be significant if you've got a 75-100" set.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 02:28 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

100" sounds great.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 03:40 PM   #20
bbailey861
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Given how good BRs look on 50-60" tvs, I think 4K is only going to be significant if you've got a 75-100" set.
Good point.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 03:47 PM   #21
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

To actually notice a difference between HD and 4000 you would need a giant TV, if you intend to get one, then by all means. But you may be waiting for a long time for Star Trek to come out on them. And when it does, you may be surprised to see it reveal flaws that you just can't see in standard or high definition. Just like the Hobbit looked awful in 48 FPS because it revealed flaws you can't see in 24 FPS.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 04:54 PM   #22
JesterFace
Lieutenant

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Sometimes they're a little too good, as in being able to see imperfections and mistakes that you never would have noticed during the original first-run broadcast, or the reruns on your old NTSC set.
VERY good point.
JesterFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 05:18 PM   #23
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I don't think it's a very good point. I watched TOS on LaserDisc, DVD and Blu-ray disc.

Frankly, I hardly ever notice the makeup seams on Spock's ears but I'm simply blown away by the clarity and Detail of the TOS images on Blu-ray which look like the show was just filmed yesterday. It's more like you realize you needed new glasses.

Regarding the mistakes: Yes, you can still see that Spock's science station on the bridge is cut off and you can still notice that during brawls you have stunt actors that don't resemble our cast too much.

But this is something I already noticed on LaserDisc or DVD so it's not a big issue.

The one additional thing Blu-ray offers (and 4K is expected to to better, still) is the color fidelity you get.

DVD features data compression and that has always affected color fidelity. Considering TOS' rich texture of vibrant colors, Blu-ray gives us a much better understanding and appreciation of the original colors.

This also applies to TNG-R on Blu-ray. Here the increase in picture quality is dramatic because the DVDs relied entirely on the old masters which rather looked like average VHS than decent DVD quality.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 05:52 PM   #24
feek61
Captain

For me the additional resolution of 4K will bring out new details that were not clear previously . . . something I have spent a life-time pursuing. Each step of the way from watching on TV, Video Tape, DVD and Blu-Ray has really help get the details right. Although most people don't care but its one of the things that helps make reproducing the props and sets nearly as accurate as the originals were. That's something that interests me greatly!
Old June 3 2014, 06:02 PM   #25
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

trevanian wrote: View Post
Yes, for "normal" viewing distances, you need to be starting at around 85"'s for 4K. That's a huge generalisation though, I know some people who watch with their noses right in front of the screen!

Personally, I can't wait. I'll be jumping in when 85"+ 4K screens become financially viable for the "average Joe" as it were.
Old June 3 2014, 06:12 PM   #26
J.T.B.
Commodore

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Sometimes they're a little too good, as in being able to see imperfections and mistakes that you never would have noticed during the original first-run broadcast, or the reruns on your old NTSC set.
Well... The visual information was always there, even if you couldn't always see it. If someone in the '70s or '80s had offered to screen clean 35mm prints for me, I certainly wouldn't have refused on the grounds that I might see something that wasn't meant to be seen! Likewise the BDs. To me, whatever shortcomings are revealed by viewing in higher resolution are more than offset by the richer colors, sharpness and general "clean-ness" of the new presentation.

The question to me is not what the new format is, but how much did they do to restore the originals for transfer to the new format. In the case of the BD, I found that it was enough of an improvement to justify double-dipping the TOS disc set. My wife, who knows little about Star Trek other than reruns 20-30 years ago, came in while I was watching a BD and said "Wow! I had no idea it could look that good!"
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 06:15 PM   #27
TheSubCommander
Captain

Personally, I think if you already have Star Trek TNG on DVD, it's not worth converting to Bluray, unless you are a videophile and HAVE TO HAVE the extras, interviews, bonus features, out takes, cut scenes etc (I don't care about those, personally). The difference IS noticeable for sure. I have all movies and series on DVD, as well as almost all trek DVD collectives, and I have all the movies, plus the first 3 seasons of TNG on BR. The movies are worth it to me because I personally think a movie should look better than a TV series episode. But to me, I don't think I got much out of having TNG on BR. I may finish up the series because I am a completist, but I doubt I will get any other BR of any other series, unless I can find them second-hand, and inexpensively. But right now, I have better things to spend my money on, than $50 a season and repurchase stuff on BR that I already have on DVD.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 06:23 PM   #28
MacLeod
Admiral

I never purchased TNG on DVD, I simply wasn't prepared to pay what they were asking £70(US$120) true cheaper sets became available but by then blu-ray was becomming more main stream so I decided I've waited this long I can wait a while longer.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 06:29 PM   #29
TheSubCommander
Captain

Most of the DVDs I purchased were either at discount stores like Big Lots at 50% price or even less, or second hand at a local second hand record shop, or on Amazon.

I do that for all my DVDs actually. DVDs have such a huge percentage in depreciation that I never buy new, unless I have no choice.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 12:28 AM   #30
trevanian
Rear Admiral

There's another aspect here that hasn't been addressed. One thing that has plagued a lot of BR releases is the misuse/overuse of DNR to smooth out the picture. PATTON is so awful it is unwatchable, with faces looking about as realistic and waXY as that of the 'knight' in SHORE LEAVE. Some TOS feature BRs have this problem to a degree as well.

When you go to 4K, there's going to be even more of a push toward these scrubbed, overly clean images, since people are unfortunately going to be getting used to not having grain in their imagery (note I say grain, not noise.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote