Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 24 2014, 07:13 AM   #31
johnjm22
Lieutenant

Re: Speculations on Star Trek 3?

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Well, I almost didn't see ST:ID in the theater because I despised ST2009(I was eventually dragged into it by friends), and I don't intend to see JJ3.

Because ST2009 sucked and ST:ID sucked more so it's safe to bet JJ3 will suck even more.

I also believe JJ will fuckup Star Wars too.
I think the problems with ST09 and STID have more to do with the scripts than the directing. Orci is terrible.

JJ is a technically skilled director. With Star Wars, he doesn't get to pick the writing team, so it may turn out to be a decent flick after all.

Now that Orci is in full control of ST3, both writing and directing, I can't imagine anything but a disaster.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 07:29 AM   #32
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I do not see any reason for Carol Marcus to be in the next TREK, unless it is to go back in time and restore the Romulan star system with some quasi-GENESIS Torpedo. Thus restoring Vulcan, Spock's ego and standing within the Romulan empire. Now, whether or not Kirk gets Carol pregnant remains to be seen. Personally, I do not see that element being introduced, in "this" universe. However, as far as an actual "bad guy" would go ... I wouldn't hazard a guess.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 08:48 AM   #33
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
something like the garden of eden and a very difficult choice which J.D. Payne and Bob Orci have been talking about.

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 09:05 AM   #34
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
*Kirk (and apparently Chekov) not knowing that the phasers have been channeled through the warp drive.
There's no reason to assume Chekov didn't know. When Kirk ordered the phasers, Decker immediately countermanded. Chekov simply did what he was supposed to do, without giving anybody any lip. I imagine that if Decker hadn't been present, the scene would have played out something like this:
KIRK: Mister Chekov, stand by on phasers.
CHEKOV: Phasers inoperative, arming photon torpedoes.
KIRK: Mister Chekov, fire torpedoes.
Decker acted properly, of course. Under the circumstances, he couldn't simply assume that Chekov would catch Kirk's mistake. But he probably would have.
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 10:33 AM   #35
teacock
Admiral

One thing we know for sure, Alice Eve won't be seen in her underwear again

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:09 PM   #36
ATimson
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
That's a good thing. If it doesn't serve the plot, it doesn't belong - and it definitely didn't serve the plot.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:27 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

johnjm22 wrote: View Post

I think the problems with ST09 and STID have more to do with the scripts than the directing. Orci is terrible.

JJ is a technically skilled director. With Star Wars, he doesn't get to pick the writing team, so it may turn out to be a decent flick after all.

Now that Orci is in full control of ST3, both writing and directing, I can't imagine anything but a disaster.
I was watching a behind-the-scenes documentary on Ferris Bueller's Day Off on Biography Channel the other day and there was something they said that really stuck with me: whenever a movie is made, there are three movies actually there (or something to that effect, I don't remember the actual wording).

Hughes wrote the movie. There was a lot of stuff they filmed that wasn't in the script. When they got to the editing room, what had been filmed was darker and it was much more a comedy-drama that came in at two hours and forty-five minutes. They turned it into a straight comedy in the editing room.

I won't judge Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof on what actually made it into the final cut of the film, even though I enjoyed both of them. It would be interesting to see the early screenplay drafts of both films.

So I'll give Orci the opportunity to bring more of his vision to the big screen. I'll be there opening night.
Old June 24 2014, 02:53 PM   #38
2takesfrakes
Commodore

If the Carol Marcus character wants to flaunt Alice Eve's wares to further entice and ensnare James T. Kirk, then that option should be on the table. They could well visit some beach somewhere, and there's Carol wearing a napkin around her hips - that should be ample justification for showing us more of Ms. Eve.

And Kirk and Carol could make out amongst the waves crashing on the rocks and those little burrowing worms in the wet sand and the bottle caps and odd bits of trash buried and strewn all over the beach. And as the music swells, David is conceived and all tradition and propriety is satisfied.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 03:07 PM   #39
Franklin
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I do not see any reason for Carol Marcus to be in the next TREK, unless it is to go back in time and restore the Romulan star system with some quasi-GENESIS Torpedo. Thus restoring Vulcan, Spock's ego and standing within the Romulan empire. Now, whether or not Kirk gets Carol pregnant remains to be seen. Personally, I do not see that element being introduced, in "this" universe. However, as far as an actual "bad guy" would go ... I wouldn't hazard a guess.
Leaving her on the Enterprise at the end of STID certainly created the option of having her figure in the next movie (pun intended). After all, she's part of the five-year mission, now. Given she was prominent in STID and welcomed into the "family" by Kirk at the end, if she's not in the next story, I'd think her absence would at least have to be explained.

I have to admit, though, that if she's in it, I hope they don't spend a lot of time on her and Kirk building a relationship. They already have the Spock and Uhura relationship to work on, and that's fine on its own. The Enterprise is not the Love Boat, after all.

If she's in it, watch Alice Eve not be available, and they have to recast the part -- . It'll be Saavik all over again!
Old June 24 2014, 05:58 PM   #40
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
The Enterprise is not the Love Boat, after all.
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93llove.phtml
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 06:08 PM   #41
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

Ovation wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I'm gonna make two bold predictions for Star Trek 3.

There will be...

1. Running.

2. Explosions.
I'll make some even bolder ones:

1. It will make a lot of money.

2. A small, vocal minority will be vociferous in their hatred/dislike of it.

3. No matter how much money it makes, someone will try to come up with a way to call it an unqualified "failure".

4. People will continue to argue past each other as to whether "success" = "quality".
5. Kirk will hang by his fingertips. A bunch.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
The Black Stig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 06:57 PM   #42
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think that Genesis thing will somehow bring Spock back to life...
Old June 24 2014, 08:14 PM   #43
urbandefault
Captain

Captrek wrote: View Post
Here's the video.
http://donpennington.blogspot.com/20...boat-next.html
Old June 24 2014, 08:23 PM   #44
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

ATimson wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
That's a good thing. If it doesn't serve the plot, it doesn't belong - and it definitely didn't serve the plot.
Actually, it served as character development, for Kirk. And not everything in a movie (or a novel, for that matter) has to be in service to the plot.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 08:31 PM   #45
Franklin
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
Here's the video.
http://donpennington.blogspot.com/20...boat-next.html
I stand corrected. Is it bad to say I actually like the uniforms?