RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,215
Posts: 5,404,995
Members: 24,760
Currently online: 565
Newest member: R.Data

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 29 2014, 09:06 PM   #16
Pasi Nurminen
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: New Westminster, BC
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

I think it was the worst "Star Trek" movie since the last one.
Pasi Nurminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:07 PM   #17
Lucky
Commander
 
Lucky's Avatar
 
Location: Mississippi
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

I still love it as much as I did when I saw it last year. For my money, it is the 4th best Star Trek film.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:18 PM   #18
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

I tried watching it two nights ago. Aside from the excellent opening sequence, I was pretty bored with it and stopped midway. Then I noticed Netflix had DAYS OF THUNDER back on and watched that to get a great laugh. I got more entertainment from watching Tom Cruise and Michael Rooker getting into an absurdly over the top wheelchair race in a hospital than I got from whatever STID's idea of "thirll ride" is during the Klingon sequences.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:22 PM   #19
thumbtack
Commodore
 
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Star Trek Into Darkness is a superb film.
Nevertheless, there is a certain tactical advantage to allowing every enraged nerd with a blog to proclaim it the single greatest failure in motion picture history. Hollywood loves a good comeback, and the "comeback" status of TWOK and TUC made both films seem better than they actually were.

Dennis wrote: View Post
But if the internet is all you have, that's where all your faith is going to go. As pointless as it is, I expect them to continue banging away on their keyboards with as much self-importance as ever. Which does have its entertainment value.
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:23 PM   #20
foxhot
Fleet Captain
 
foxhot's Avatar
 
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

Not perfect, but certainly an improvement on 2009's installment, and my favorite film of 2013. Simon Pegg to me had the best supporting actor locked up since May, though C-Batch was a strong runner-up.
__________________
''Man in red shirt: Scotty, or dead. Woman in red shirt: Uhura, or love interest.''
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:30 PM   #21
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

Getting back to the comments about fans and their way of reacting to their franchise of choice.....

I have a harder and harder time calling myself a fan of anything really. Mostly because I get sick and tired of the looks you get from people. Some fans, who are truly fanatic to a point where it becomes unhealthy, really take the fun out of it sometimes, by argueing over which way the the viewscreen on the original Enterprise would be angled if you would take the dome of the bridge considering where the turbolifttube sits on the model and where the turboliftdoors are on the bridge-set.......

Within every group, there are always extremist, who set a standard by which all members of said group will be judged. And that kinda sucks when you really like to talk about great plots and characters with non-fans, who will very quickly asume you're just another nutjob with overly detailed floorplans to a starship that doesn't exist.

I know this opinion will not gain me any brownie-points, but I'm glad I said it. If you, as a viewer of this movie, can get so incredibly pissed of by the size of the Enterprise that the entire movie is now ruined for you.......
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:37 PM   #22
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

Mage wrote: View Post
Getting back to the comments about fans and their way of reacting to their franchise of choice.....

I have a harder and harder time calling myself a fan of anything really. Mostly because I get sick and tired of the looks you get from people. Some fans, who truly fanatic to a point where it becomes unhealthy, really take the fun out of it sometimes, by argueing over which way the the viewscreen on the original Enterprise would be angled if you would take the dome of the bridge considering where the turbolifttube sits on the model and where the turboliftdoors are on the bridgeset.......

Within every group, there are always extremist, who set a standard by which all members of said group will be judged. And that kinda sucks when you really like to talk about great plots and characters with non-fans, who will very quickly asume you're just another nutjob with overly detailed floorplans to a starship that doesn't exist.
I don't know, I think there's room for all types of fans across the spectrum of casual to obsessed. As long as a fan doesn't go out of their way to piss on another's parade as it were - live and let live.

I do feel some fans have literally lost the ability to just plain "enjoy" though - as they become more and more bogged down in meaningless minutiae.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:41 PM   #23
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

YEA!!! BOX OFFICE GROSSING!!! FRESH TOMATOMETER!!!

I think these discussions would be infinitely more interesting if we didn't have to have so many posters bring up box office receipts, tomatometers, the fan polls that ranked STID as the worst ever (it isn't, as bad as it tried to be ), ect. It gets so utterly boring when that's all fans of this film bring to the table. Fresh tomatometers and huge box office results aren't gonna convince me that ATTACK OF THE CLONES isn't a bad film.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:45 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Fresh tomatometers and huge box office results aren't gonna convince me that ATTACK OF THE CLONES isn't a bad film.
I doubt anything said here is going to change anyone's mind, regardless of what side they're on.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:56 PM   #25
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
YEA!!! BOX OFFICE GROSSING!!! FRESH TOMATOMETER!!!

I think these discussions would be infinitely more interesting if we didn't have to have so many posters bring up box office receipts, tomatometers, the fan polls that ranked STID as the worst ever (it isn't, as bad as it tried to be ), ect. It gets so utterly boring when that's all fans of this film bring to the table. Fresh tomatometers and huge box office results aren't gonna convince me that ATTACK OF THE CLONES isn't a bad film.
Um, even by Rotten Tomatoes site standards, AoTC DOES come across as a bad film:

Attack of the Clones: Critics: 67% / General Audience: 60%
source:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star...the_clones_3d/

STiD: Critics: 87% / General Audiance: 90%
source:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star...into_darkness/

Just saying...
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 10:12 PM   #26
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

Noname Given wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
YEA!!! BOX OFFICE GROSSING!!! FRESH TOMATOMETER!!!

I think these discussions would be infinitely more interesting if we didn't have to have so many posters bring up box office receipts, tomatometers, the fan polls that ranked STID as the worst ever (it isn't, as bad as it tried to be ), ect. It gets so utterly boring when that's all fans of this film bring to the table. Fresh tomatometers and huge box office results aren't gonna convince me that ATTACK OF THE CLONES isn't a bad film.
Um, even by Rotten Tomatoes site standards, AoTC DOES come across as a bad film:

Attack of the Clones: Critics: 67% / General Audience: 60%
source:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star...the_clones_3d/

STiD: Critics: 87% / General Audiance: 90%
source:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star...into_darkness/

Just saying...
The results say "fresh". My main point is that bringing up box office results and tomatometers are becoming such a cliche in these forums, even you resort to it by measuring CLONES and STID, missing the point I was trying to make!

BillJ wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Fresh tomatometers and huge box office results aren't gonna convince me that ATTACK OF THE CLONES isn't a bad film.
I doubt anything said here is going to change anyone's mind, regardless of what side they're on.
You'd be surprised. I know someone who thought GOLDENEYE was an awful film and had reasons that were perfectly valid, but one poster laid out his own perspective that was a very unique take on the flick, so unique that it gave that someone a new perspective on how to view the film and from then on he started to like it and eventually love it because of how well the film holds up just from viewing it from a different perspective. This was at a James Bond forum where box office results and tomatometers were rarely ever brought up when debating over the quality of a film.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:17 AM   #27
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I tried watching it two nights ago. Aside from the excellent opening sequence, I was pretty bored with it and stopped midway. Then I noticed Netflix had DAYS OF THUNDER back on and watched that to get a great laugh. I got more entertainment from watching Tom Cruise and Michael Rooker getting into an absurdly over the top wheelchair race in a hospital than I got from whatever STID's idea of "thirll ride" is during the Klingon sequences.
Yeah, that stuff in the Klingon scenes had me wondering if the Klingon version of Ewoks were about to jump out from behind the buildings.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:39 AM   #28
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

BillJ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
And I don't think that what we as fans consider some of the best Trek episodes, will work well for a movie.
One day, Paramount will make my big screen treatment of "The Omega Glory"!
And I will hunt you down, screaming "E Plebnista!" all the way.

As for myself, I still love Into Darkness, and it's frequently switching places with ST09 as my favorite Star Trek film.
__________________
I don't like getting into arguments with people for two basic reasons:
1) I don't stay angry very long.
2) I'm usually quick to apologize if I feel I was wrong.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:47 AM   #29
Balrog
Commodore
 
Balrog's Avatar
 
Location: Balrog
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

Loved STID when it came out. Love it still. Looking forward to the next film directed by Orci. And I'm a fan of TOS old-timer!
__________________
Anybody got some peppermint?
Balrog was Lloyd Dobler
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 02:14 AM   #30
martok2112
Commander
 
Re: One Year Later: Star Trek Into Darkness

Hadoken!!!!!!!

Howdy, Balrog. (I used to love the Street Fighter games myself...always played as Chun Li, God love her leggy goodness. )
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.