Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 14 2014, 09:41 AM   #76
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

Re: Why women dosen't display their Ranks ?

BillJ wrote: View Post

This is obviously a male gingerbread man since he has rank insignia on both his sleeves and pants. The bowtie and buttons are non-regulation.
Old June 14 2014, 06:33 PM   #77
J.T.B.
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
McCoy's short sleeve tunic lacks rank insignia.
True, though it seems clear that was more like medical scrubs than a normal duty uniform. And when TOS went to the big screen, even that was addressed with the shoulder marks that could be worn on short-sleeved shirts. Like I said, it's a minor thing, I just think it would be more realistic to provide for rank insignia on uniforms that can't display the standard cuff stripes. I'm not sure why that's controversial, but OK.

Timo wrote: View Post
In nuMovies, though, the red-gold-blue thing seems to be reserved solely for the crews of starships while on assignment. Nobody down on Earth will be caught dead wearing those in public. Suddenly, the bright colors become the analogue to the coverall color coding of aircraft carrier deck teams, and whatever is indicated by the color (the jury is still out on that, in all the timelines and spinoffs) is far more important than rank or identity. Plus, aboard a starship, everybody knows everybody anyway (although in TOS it was a bit easier than in nuMovies, considering the crew size difference!).
But if that were the case, they wouldn't need rank insignia on the long-sleeved uniforms, either.

I wouldn't compare the shipboard uniforms to the flight deck clothing, which is generally restricted to carrier air departments and air wings, but to the USN's blue underway coveralls of today, or the wash khakis and utilities/dungarees of earlier times, which were worn across all departments. And all of which provided for rank insignia.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 06:59 PM   #78
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
a) Memory Alpha lists Mike Okuda as the person making Chapel a brevet ensign, in a game that came out 1998.

b) There have been nursing schools in the United States since the late 1800s . By the 1930s the Yale School of Nursing was offering Masters Degrees in Nursing. I imagine most of what the folks in charge of Trek thought of Nurses came from encountering them while in military service in WWII.

Chapel is mentioned to be a student of Korby's in WALGMO. Korby's last message was five years before the events of the episode and Chapel signed up for service aboard a starship hoping find him. So I'd guess Chapels been out there looking for him for those five years. What it doesn't say is if Chapel was in Starfleet prior to Korby's last message. Could be she was in the Science Division as bio researcher. I hope she didn't Kim it and stay an Ensign for years.

c) Where does it say she was promoted to Lieutenant? Pretty sure she just shows up with a Lieutenants stripe. Lt jg is a dashed stripe, so she was a full Lieutenant in TAS.

d) Noel is a Doctor, at best she'd have to be a Lt jg like Bashir and sport the dashes. Anne Mulhall was a Lt. Commander working as an Astrobiologist. She could have answered to McCoy (Lt. Commander) or Spock (Commander). As a redshirt she might have answered to Scotty (Lt. Commander) though lord knows why.
Thanks for the assist. It's odd that they thought Chapel would be qualified enough to be a CMO in TMP (from the novelisation). I thought it took 4 years to qualify as a junior doctor and 3 years of supervision to be able to practice medicine on your own? That would mean a) that McCoy was wrong to call her Nurse Chapel or b) Starfleet has so few doctors that they make a third year medical student a CMO? Neither seems likely. They really should have just made her a Phd biologist with some medical training IMO to give her a niche of her own.

I have no idea why Mulhall was in red either.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 05:48 PM   #79
drt
Commander

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
And to add insult to injury, Kirk had no idea who she was, even though there were maybe a half-dozen LtCommanders on board. Although, I suppopse we could make the arguement that Kirk may have known about Mulhall, but having not yet met her expected his new astrobiologist to be in blue.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 08:44 AM   #80
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
And to add insult to injury, Kirk had no idea who she was, even though there were maybe a half-dozen LtCommanders on board. Although, I suppopse we could make the arguement that Kirk may have known about Mulhall, but having not yet met her expected his new astrobiologist to be in blue.
She was never seen again so clearly the implication is that they had an affair and she left the ship.

Actually, I always felt that the lack of a biologist in TOS left a gap in the crew that McCoy, who is meant to be an old country doctor was forced to fill. Chapel could have served that purpose too or Mulhall.

I've been doing a TMP era comic on Youtube and I used Chapel as the more xeno-biology & research based doctor and I even gave Mulhall a cameo using images of Pulaski plonked on a TMP body. I will concede that the regulars lose quite a bit of 'air time' if you use situation appropriate guest characters too often. I did her department as orange for science but maybe I should have done it green for life science? Meh, I'm happy leaving green as medical only I think.

I'm a bit slapdash though as it can be a pain to keep cloning in and out rank stripes when you have to borrow bodies. In one image I had to put Rand's head on Ilia's body which involves rank, colour, and department. Yeesh.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote