Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 30 2014, 01:21 AM   #31
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: How to get the younger generation interested in TOS?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Fans who started on the Abrams movies will likely never attain such unpleasant levels of elitism as some of the "old guard" around here. And that's definitely a good thing.
Thankfully.
Old May 30 2014, 01:58 AM   #32
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Conversely, some of us old timers think Star Trek has long suffered from a rather overinflated reputation and given too much approbation for work it hasn't actually done and thus are happy to see movies which are actually "fun" and well made. Classic Trek is full of clunkers, from "Patterns of Force" to "Turnabout Intruder" and pretending it doesn't isn't going to change the fact that discerning audiences of any age are going to see those for what they are.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 02:09 AM   #33
martok2112
Captain

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post
I have no problem with you personally, but statements like yours are the reason I no longer view fandom with a favorable eye.
Not taking it personally, no worries.

martok2112 wrote: View Post
But one's enjoyment of a particular form of Star Trek over another has absolutely nothing to do with generational problems. That's simply a fanboyish hang up, plain and simple.

If folks find enjoyment in TOS as a result of first being exposed to the Abrams movies, win win for Star Trek. The Original Series now has a bunch of new, enthralled viewers who are realizing what they've missed/not given a damn about for years.
Well, it really is a generational thing, in that what's being offered now "ain't your father's Star Trek". Now of course, there are sensible people of all ages who want something more than explosions and space monsters. And this is not really the forum for criticizing the movies, but I will say that those who think movies like those Abrams produces are the height of Trek are not going to "get" what makes TOS so good.

Koenig really nails it here at around 4:25 when he says that huge battles scenes and space monsters do not a Trek film make.

btw, the whole interview is fascinating. It's available in 5 parts on youtube, linked below.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

It really gets fiery when Ellison shows up. Curiously, Rodenberry had a cold and couldn't make it. Fancy that.
I will be the first to agree that big space battles do not a Trek story make, although I am more into the action oriented elements of Trek than any other criteria.

I think I may have alluded in another thread about how Trek has something for everyone...but, it doesn't always get to present something for everyone in one episode or movie.

I will also admit that, sadly, in order for a Trek movie to really go blockbuster in terms of box-office (not necessarily production levels), it does largely seem to need to be an action (or at least action-laced) film.

Star Trek IV was probably the sole exception to this. It sold itself more as an allegory and comedy, and both were indeed genuine. There was only one shot fired in that movie, and it wasn't even in anger.

Star Trek the Motion Picture (also not an action film, but its opening moments were some of the best in Trek film history) was a financial success, if not a critical and/or fan-favored one. However, I think its reputation has changed over the years. I think it has gotten a lot more favor, especially with the release of the Directors' Edition in 2000 (my favorite version of TMP to date). I loved TMP from the off, and couldn't quite understand some of the ire that had been cast at it. Sorry, I'm rambling.

I can truly understand why some folks liken the latest movies to something more like Star Wars, where there's more phaser fire per minute than probably the TOS and TNG movies combined...LOL! I certainly don't blame them for feeling that way.

Personally, my thought is this: When it comes to the upcoming third movie, it is also my deepest wish that it be more of a movie about exploration and other "loftier" ideals of Star Trek, but if it does turn out to be another action film, then let it be as rousing as the first two. (Personal opinion only. )

I do feel that the deeper stuff that Trek delves into is better suited on television. When a lot of folks go to see a movie, they generally wanna have fun. When I suggested that the Abrams movies are a good way to introduce the uninitiated to Trek, again, it was only in the context that it has opened up a larger world to them. Suddenly, if they take on an interest in the original series, and the others that followed, and their interest holds, then I call that a win-win for Trek, and for those that have newly been attracted to it.

I will try to check out the other links you have kindly provided when I get some more free time. Thank you for posting those.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 04:29 AM   #34
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

As member of the young generation who's "without ball", because yes, I watched TNG before TOS, I claim my rights to teabagging!
Armored Saint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 05:11 AM   #35
Lance
Commodore

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
Start with the reboot and it's sequel, then go to TOS and/or movies II-IV. There are a few members here who started similarly.
I was already a long time Star Trek fan by then, but I must say that the 2009 movie revitalized my interest in TOS to the point where I sat down to watch the entire original series again from start to finish for the first time in like a decade (as opposed to just picking favorite episodes to watch, which is what I had been doing up to that point).

It wouldn't surprise me if a younger generation could be similarly tempted... assuming, of course, that they like the movies in the first place.
My wife's son is 17 and he likes the movies but hates TOS simply because its for old people (I am 36) and its just too old. Its not just Trek as he rejects Twilight Zone and any other older movie including classics such as Its a Wonderful Life, Sorry Wrong Number, and such.
This is really the thing. Either somebody will be receptive to watching older productions or they will not. Ultimately there's not much one can do to "make" somebody want to watch something that they don't want to watch.

On the other hand...

TheMurph wrote: View Post
My son is 5 and he has been watching Star Trek TOS with me since he was 3 or so. He doesn't care for TNG or for the TOS movies, but he likes the TOS episodes and the reboots.

No special way of getting him to watch it other than he came home one day and I was watching it, he sat down and has watched them with me since.
... this is by far the best way I've found to get younger people into these things. But they probably need to be young enough, to be more willing to just sit and watch with you. They might then find that they like it. But I think after they reach a certain age, teenage years, if they haven't already watched a older show by then they might not be willing to even try.

I've gotten very young cousins interested in older shows before, simply by being already watching them when they came around for a visit. They've sat down and watched with me, and seemed to enjoy. Very young people have the ability to overlook the cheapness of something much better than teenagers do. But I have found that black-and-white can still serve as a barrier to them.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 11:16 AM   #36
Metryq
Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
A lot of people don't like stuff from "before my time".
(Watch full-screen for pop-up notes.) I imagine kids today watch TOS with this same feeling—all the technology is old.

Old May 30 2014, 11:57 AM   #37
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Metryq wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
A lot of people don't like stuff from "before my time".
(Watch full-screen for pop-up notes.) I imagine kids today watch TOS with this same feeling—all the technology is old.

Ha. I just watched that the other day.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 05:49 AM   #38
Destructor
Commodore

I guess I have really fond memories of watching the James Bond films with my dad. I didn't really 'get' them at the time, but his joy was infectious and I now associate watching James Bond with those good times.

I am now 37 and my daughter is 20 months old. I certainly have a dream of sitting down with her and watching TOS (and TNG) with her (don't know what age this should be at- 12?) and, y'know, I won't be devastated if she doesn't like it, and she probably won't, but maybe, just maybe, she'll associate TOS with some time spent with her old dad.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 04:54 PM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Destructor wrote: View Post

I am now 37 and my daughter is 20 months old. I certainly have a dream of sitting down with her and watching TOS (and TNG) with her (don't know what age this should be at- 12?) and, y'know, I won't be devastated if she doesn't like it, and she probably won't, but maybe, just maybe, she'll associate TOS with some time spent with her old dad.
My youngest watched "Devil in the Dark" with me at eighteen-months old. He definitely liked it! Took him with me to see Star Trek Into Darkness at six and he loved it!
Old June 6 2014, 05:15 PM   #40
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Fans who started on the Abrams movies will likely never attain such unpleasant levels of elitism as some of the "old guard" around here. And that's definitely a good thing.
Agreed. And these fans hopefully won't be stuck in endless debates about minutiae about what color the uniform is or if the engine room looks like a brewery (or the CERN lab) because they'll just be enjoying the fracking movie(s)/TV shows and getting on with life.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 05:59 PM   #41
Shat Happens
Captain

Good. That way there will not be any kids at the theater.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2014, 09:53 PM   #42
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

There are many fans of New Trek who are older. I think we had an age based poll when ST09 came out and the older generation was well represented in the like and love categories. On the other hand, one the the more vehement critics was in his twenties.

Elitism might be acceptable in certain contexts, but Star Trek isn't on of them. The show's message about that. And it being a originally TV show designed for popular entertainment purposes sure doesn't make it an poster child for elitism, either. Fans who embrace it as a way to set themselves above and apart from the "mundanes" really don't get it.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 08:00 AM   #43
Emperor Norton
Lieutenant Commander

This may inform this discussion somewhat, as it is a different angle:

I will tell you that I do the whole internet RPG (Sim) thing and have for a number of years, and I've run a few of my own games and I have persistently tried to get TOS games going, and it was like pulling teeth. You can get a few people aboard, but not enough (and enough would be like 5). And you could advertise anywhere; I did on various websites and the group site itself. Still nothing. I looked at a number of ways to try to sell it; it's retro, it's a fun and interesting setting, it's the original, etc. Still just the same trickling of interest that wasn't enough.

So I have tried to be a salesman for TOS, and I never found out a way to do it. The most you'd get in response was "I like the Original Series, but I don't love it that much". Most of the activity of the RPG group (which I will not name so as not to advertise) was on Post-Nemesis Star Trek, gray/black uniforms and all. I think, though, that the Star Trek reboot has made the rah-rah fandom shift towards that setting, because the TNG setting doesn't seem to have the same player zest like it used to even a few years ago, and it does seem to be moving towards the "Nu-Trek". I was part of a sub-group of that RPG group that started in the Pike era around 2008 or something, and changed to the Nu-Trek setting not too long after that (and before the 2009 film came out); it did a lot better as the latter than the former. I think on the whole that's what the lively fandom is moving towards. You'll always have the love for the older stuff, but the zest and livelihood will be with the newer stuff. Though it does break my heart a bit, as I really would like to have gotten a proper TOS game going (my avatar, incidentally, is from a semi-successful/semi-failed TOS Klingon game that was the last game I played, captained, and it folded).

So that's my take on it, and I don't know how or if you can sell TOS to the younger generation; it's hard to sell it to even a not-young audience. TNG is the reason for that, and Nu-Trek is the reason for anything taken away from TNG.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 09:03 AM   #44
Ivan Bilic
Cadet

evangelist6589 wrote: View Post
Has anyone had any luck? Most it would appear do not like TOS as they did not grow up with it so I don't blame them. When I was a kid in the 1980's Trek was on TV and I watched it often, and sometimes rented the VHS tapes. I love Trek, but I also grew up with it, an advantage many young people (under 30) did not have. Ideas, suggestions?
It would be hard task to do, since lot of things changed. I wasn't watching TOS when originally aired. However, i watched some of them much later.
Ivan Bilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2014, 12:40 AM   #45
ClassicTrekkie
Lieutenant

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Good. That way there will not be any kids at the theater.
I like how you think good sir! Couldn't have said it better myself
ClassicTrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote