RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 431
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 29 2014, 11:10 AM   #16
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

Re: How to get the younger generation interested in TOS?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Start with the reboot and it's sequel, then go to TOS and/or movies II-IV. There are a few members here who started similarly.
This may be the answer. If the kids did not grow up on TOS, perhaps the only way to interest them is this way.

However kids these days (under 30) in general think that their smart phones, iPads, MP3 Players, and Facebook are the entire universe. Most do not like to think and read books (non fiction type books) and such. Sad.. Some kids like to read Philosophy books but mostly those in college.
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 11:13 AM   #17
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

Lance wrote: View Post
Start with the reboot and it's sequel, then go to TOS and/or movies II-IV. There are a few members here who started similarly.
I was already a long time Star Trek fan by then, but I must say that the 2009 movie revitalized my interest in TOS to the point where I sat down to watch the entire original series again from start to finish for the first time in like a decade (as opposed to just picking favorite episodes to watch, which is what I had been doing up to that point).

It wouldn't surprise me if a younger generation could be similarly tempted... assuming, of course, that they like the movies in the first place.

LavianoTS386 wrote: View Post
I think It also helps if you live in Colorado and can legally smoke dope.
I am reliably informed that there are many things in this life to which this is an appropriate solution. Um, by which I obviously mean "moving to Colorado", heh.
My wife's son is 17 and he likes the movies but hates TOS simply because its for old people (I am 36) and its just too old. Its not just Trek as he rejects Twilight Zone and any other older movie including classics such as Its a Wonderful Life, Sorry Wrong Number, and such.
Old May 29 2014, 11:18 AM   #18
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
There's no surefire way to get anyone interested in anything. if you want to try, great. Take Maurice's advice and also probably stick with the TOS-R versions to they don't have the "old creaky effects" excuse to fall back on. If they like it, great. if not, then honestly it doesn't make much difference in the scheme of things. It's not like the show is going to come back with the original cast (unless the deceased are in the Pet Sematary). If interest in the original series dies after 50 years, does it really honestly matter? Will your videos vanish?
Its not only Trek as they reject Twilight Zone and any other old movie as well. I am generally speaking at last about the 17 year old in my house.
Old May 29 2014, 05:22 PM   #19
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

My son is 5 and he has been watching Star Trek TOS with me since he was 3 or so. He doesn't care for TNG or for the TOS movies, but he likes the TOS episodes and the reboots.

No special way of getting him to watch it other than he came home one day and I was watching it, he sat down and has watched them with me since.
Old May 29 2014, 05:33 PM   #20
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Echtzeit wrote: View Post
What drags so many people away from TOS is that a lot of the episodes are complete garbage, and there is no sugar-coating it.
Maybe 3, tops. Out of 70-something, that ain't bad. The average TOS ep is a hell of a lot better than what modern young viewers watch.
I feel sorry for people whose first exposure to trek was something other than TOS. No wonder the young generation has no balls.
Those who started with the Abrams movies are just a lost cause.
Old May 29 2014, 05:42 PM   #21
Ro_Laren
Commodore

TBH, it was hard for me to make myself watch TOS. Shows in the 60's often had a cheesiness to them. Since I didn't grow up in the 60's, it made watching TOS hard. I had to learn to separate any cheesiness from the core of the story. It also helped that when I really sat down to watch the series from beginning to end, I watched the remastered version.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 05:52 PM   #22
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
I feel sorry for people whose first exposure to trek was something other than TOS. No wonder the young generation has no balls.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 07:37 PM   #23
Vandervecken
Commander

What drags so many people away from TOS is that a lot of the episodes are complete garbage, and there is no sugar-coating it.
Maybe 3, tops. Out of 70-something, that ain't bad. The average TOS ep is a hell of a lot better than what modern young viewers watch.

And--good gods!--is any TOS episode worse than TNG's "Rascals"? I'd rather watch "And the Children Shall Lead" than that particular stinker! I'd rather watch "Spock's Brain" any day than Voyager's "Fair Haven." The first 2 seasons of DS9 are more bad than good. Point being, there are just as many horrendous eps in the later series (more, since they have longer runs), but that doesn't make the rest of the eps unwatchable.

You're probably completely right about anyone starting with Abrams Trek. All they know is soulless slam-bang shit with a Trek logo stuck on it.
Old May 29 2014, 08:59 PM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Fans who started on the Abrams movies will likely never attain such unpleasant levels of elitism as some of the "old guard" around here. And that's definitely a good thing.
Old May 29 2014, 09:50 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Fans who started on the Abrams movies will likely never attain such unpleasant levels of elitism as some of the "old guard" around here. And that's definitely a good thing.
+1
Old May 29 2014, 11:43 PM   #26
Vandervecken
Commander

So that's what they're calling taste now? Interesting how language evolves, eh?
Old May 30 2014, 12:25 AM   #27
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

meh. It's hardly insulting to be called elitist. Someone has to maintain standards, even if only in the form of expectations. I expect something called Star Trek to have certain standards of professionalism in its writing, acting, music... general artistry. It has ebbed and flowed as the franchise (how I hate that term) has passed through the hands of real sci-fi writers, respected directors, businessmen, accountants, hacks...
Sadly, those raised on the product vomited forth by the latter categories don't know the difference between art and dreck -- except that they prefer the mother's milk of the latter.
I, for one, would sooner have truck with the elite any day.
Old May 30 2014, 12:28 AM   #28
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Sadly, those raised on the product vomited forth by the latter categories don't know the difference between art and dreck -- except that they prefer the mother's milk of the latter.
That's the broadest brush I've ever seen.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:29 AM   #29
martok2112
Commander

As I lifelong admirer of Star Trek (since I was but a wee laddie of 5 in the early early 70's), I will disagree with your statement, Beaker. (mee-moo?)

I have no problem with you personally, but statements like yours are the reason I no longer view fandom with a favorable eye.

I think we all find problems with the younger generation, just as our parents and grandparents no doubt found problems with ours. Pot, meet kettle.

But one's enjoyment of a particular form of Star Trek over another has absolutely nothing to do with generational problems. That's simply a fanboyish hang up, plain and simple.

If folks find enjoyment in TOS as a result of first being exposed to the Abrams movies, win win for Star Trek. The Original Series now has a bunch of new, enthralled viewers who are realizing what they've missed/not given a damn about for years.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:59 AM   #30
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

martok2112 wrote: View Post
I have no problem with you personally, but statements like yours are the reason I no longer view fandom with a favorable eye.
Not taking it personally, no worries.

martok2112 wrote: View Post
But one's enjoyment of a particular form of Star Trek over another has absolutely nothing to do with generational problems. That's simply a fanboyish hang up, plain and simple.

If folks find enjoyment in TOS as a result of first being exposed to the Abrams movies, win win for Star Trek. The Original Series now has a bunch of new, enthralled viewers who are realizing what they've missed/not given a damn about for years.
Well, it really is a generational thing, in that what's being offered now "ain't your father's Star Trek". Now of course, there are sensible people of all ages who want something more than explosions and space monsters. And this is not really the forum for criticizing the movies, but I will say that those who think movies like those Abrams produces are the height of Trek are not going to "get" what makes TOS so good.

Koenig really nails it here at around 4:25 when he says that huge battles scenes and space monsters do not a Trek film make.

btw, the whole interview is fascinating. It's available in 5 parts on youtube, linked below.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

It really gets fiery when Ellison shows up. Curiously, Rodenberry had a cold and couldn't make it. Fancy that.

Last edited by A beaker full of death; May 30 2014 at 01:11 AM.
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote