Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old May 27 2014, 06:02 PM   #16
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 3...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I have my reservations about the Mirror Universe story. That said a podcast I listened to some time back featuring James Kerwin, Eps. 3's director, suggested that the story might focus entirely on the MU and not involve another instance of crossing over. It suggested picking up on the idea of what the MU Kirk and company faced when they got back to their own universe. Now I have nothing solid other than what I got from the interview. That and the claim that the STC folks want to keep tie-ins to other series and films tenuous and vague, based on the assumption that in 1969 none of those other things existed yet so in fairness they shouldn't be mentioned outright in an STC episode.

For now I'm just hoping.
I have hopes too, but the story of Mirror-Kirk's return has been done again and again in the various tie-in media.
Old May 27 2014, 10:42 PM   #17
northstar
Lieutenant

A mirror episode? Ugh - never been a fan of those, even in the original. And this is probably another bottle show. Time to do something new...
northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 12:08 AM   #18
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I'm not a fan of the mirror universe, but so far STC has a really good track record for producing quality shows... granted, that's only two shows... so I strongly encourage people to hold their fire and see what there is to see.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 11:10 AM   #19
lurok
Commodore

I get the dislike for MU episodes (and the DS9 ones are a mixed bag)...but I wouldn't mind seeing another TOS one. And curious if they could cleverly link this one to In A Mirror Darkly. The one technical drawback to fan MU episodes I can see is that in the series they worked best after a few seasons once the actors had a chance to get under the skin of their parts and audience grown to love them, so that the character-switch is more palpable and fun. After two eps of STC seems a tad...ambitious . But best of luck
Old May 28 2014, 01:05 PM   #20
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

While I enjoy Mirror, Mirror" and even "In a Mirror Darkly," I've never understood the fascination with going back to the Mirror Universe again and again. Really, how many variations on that story can we do?
Old May 28 2014, 01:15 PM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

In fairness STC is two for two so far in my opinion. Based on that Episode 3 should be decent.

What concerns me is the apparent tendency (by fan productions) to revisit what was done before rather than forging something new in true spirit of the original series. Revisiting the Mirror Universe is something the spinoff series did. It's not something TOS likely would have done. They got away with revisiting Apollo because it was a story of redemption. "Lolani" was a fleshing out of a kernel of an idea. But what is the real point of returning to the MU of the TOS era? That's what we're waiting to see.

So far I give STC full marks for execution and creativity and engaging me (and many others) with their production. It's actually for that very reason that I'm wary--because I'm interested and give a damn. If I wasn't at all interested then I wouldn't be talking about it.
Old May 28 2014, 10:56 PM   #22
jojolimited
Lieutenant

Wil Wheaton got his own show on SciFi that started last night (I didn't watch it). I think he's old enough now to do a great story about how his character changed since TNG. Maybe play up the whole Marty Sue issue.
jojolimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 11:11 PM   #23
Warped9
Admiral

Wesley Crusher in the TOS era? Please, no.
Old May 28 2014, 11:47 PM   #24
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Wesley Crusher, Savior of The Universe? Sounds good, when does it start filming?
Old May 28 2014, 11:54 PM   #25
feek61
Captain

A couple of weeks ago. It aired a night or two ago at 10 PM on syfy
Old June 1 2014, 12:40 PM   #26
feek61
Captain

The third STC Episode debuts in 2 weeks! Here are a few teaser screen caps from the episode.

Last edited by feek61; June 1 2014 at 02:38 PM.
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 01:18 PM   #27
Warped9
Admiral

^^ That looks pretty decent. Whatever my concerns I am curious as hell, which is something I haven't felt about Trek for a very long time.
Old June 1 2014, 01:28 PM   #28
Danlav05
Commander

I wonder if it's a Prime/Mirror Universe crossover or another 'In A Mirror Darkly'?

Either way this looks like a fun episode!
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 02:09 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
I wonder if it's a Prime/Mirror Universe crossover or another 'In A Mirror Darkly'?

From what I understand STC says they want to stay as close as possible to TOS and that this is a sequel to "Mirror, Mirror." In all good faith they can't make direct references (like name dropping) to MU episodes from other shows simply because those shows did not yet exist in 1966-69.

So technically (if they went this route) they could reference an Empress in the MU Empire's past, but they couldn't reference her actual name. Neither could they make references to Bajorans and such as well as a ship displaced from another timeline or universe. None of those things had been conceived of yet in 1967.

Note in "Lolani" there appears to be an oblique reference to events from ENT (spoken by Spock), but there's nothing specific in it. This appears to be STC's approach to continuity references and it's an approach that works for me because it maintains the illusion of TOS being its own thing.

In TOS, beyond "The Cage," we never got to see another women in a command position in Starfleet. But there's nothing throughout the series the specifically establishes a woman cannot command in Starfleet. So STC had a wide open door to show us a woman as a Starfleet Commodore, something that could have been shown in TOS but wasn't. And it's not impossible that TOS might have gotten around to showing us a woman in a command position if (by some stretch) TOS had had a fourth season.
Old June 1 2014, 05:34 PM   #30
Danlav05
Commander

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Danlav05 wrote: View Post

From what I understand STC says they want to stay as close as possible to TOS and that this is a sequel to "Mirror, Mirror." In all good faith they can't make direct references (like name dropping) to MU episodes from other shows simply because those shows did not yet exist in 1966-69.

So technically (if they went this route) they could reference an Empress in the MU Empire's past, but they couldn't reference her actual name. Neither could they make references to Bajorans and such as well as a ship displaced from another timeline or universe. None of those things had been conceived of yet in 1967.

Note in "Lolani" there appears to be an oblique reference to events from ENT (spoken by Spock), but there's nothing specific in it. This appears to be STC's approach to continuity references and it's an approach that works for me because it maintains the illusion of TOS being its own thing.

In TOS, beyond "The Cage," we never got to see another women in a command position in Starfleet. But there's nothing throughout the series the specifically establishes a woman cannot command in Starfleet. So STC had a wide open door to show us a woman as a Starfleet Commodore, something that could have been shown in TOS but wasn't. And it's not impossible that TOS might have gotten around to showing us a woman in a command position if (by some stretch) TOS had had a fourth season.
It's interesting where Phase II are opposite and reference the Movie/TNG/Enterprise era stuff regularly in terms of continuity.

What I meant was, sorry, is this a Prime Universe ep that slips back behind the Mirror or is this a fully-Mirror Universe show with no Prime Universe whatsoever, as In A Mirror Darkly was a 'bottle show'?
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote