USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 26 2014, 04:00 AM   #1
evangelist6589
Lieutenant

Other series like Trek & Twilight Zone

I love TOS and Twilight Zone Original series. I will watch each episode dozens of times. A few weak episode in each series, but not many. I really dislike the newer Trek and newer Twilight Zone series and never caught on as I seem attached to the originals. Do you know of any other series like Trek and Twilight Zone from that period I would enjoy? Thanks...

PS- Its rough and very difficult getting the younger generation to watch Trek and Twilight Zone as they find it boring and dull. Anyone had any luck getting people under 30 into these series?
evangelist6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 04:17 AM   #2
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Other series like Trek & Twilight Zone

I've never seen much of them, as they seem to be less common in syndication, but TZ had at least a couple of rivals back in the day:

The Outer Limits
One Step Beyond
Old May 26 2014, 04:26 AM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The original Outer Limits, for sure.

As for later series along the lines of Star Trek . . . maybe Farscape?
Old May 26 2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

I discovered this British series a few years back. Most surviving episodes (and bits and pieces of "lost" ones) are on Youtube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Unknown

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I think "Raumpatrouille Orion" would do nicely, but unfortunately it still requires an English dubbing or at least subtitles.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Mario de Monti
Captain

Yes, it really is a pity "Raumpatrouille" remains reserved for German speaking audiences. I´m pretty sure many TOS fans would enjoy it. Hopefully they´ll release a subtitled edition someday.

Mario
Old May 26 2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Definitely The Outer Limits and One Step Beyond. OSB deals more with the paranormal than science fiction, though one episode had the host experimenting with hallucinogenics or something, sort of documentary style.

A show I first saw in 1959, which got me interested in science fiction at 8, was Men Into Space. It was more near future, and stories were set usually no farther than the moon if I remember right. They tried to present a realistic approach to space travel based on what was known at the time. It's probably pretty dull by today's standards, I've not seen it in over 50 years.

Then of course if you stand watching marionettes, there's Gerry Anderson's shows like Supercar, Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, and Captain Scarlet.

ETA:
And if you want something really baffling, there's always Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner.
Old May 26 2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

Other than what's been mentioned, the only dramatic SF show from '60s US prime-time that I can think of was The Invaders, about a man trying to expose the alien invaders hiding among us. It wasn't particularly like Trek, though, aside from having some of the same FX creators.

I'm going to make an odd recommendation: Space: 1999, one of Gerry Anderson's live-action shows. It's kind of a bizarre concept and often quite silly -- the Moon is blown out of Earth orbit and somehow drifts millions of light-years through space and encounters new planets on an almost weekly basis -- but in the first season it almost kinda works in a way, because there was an overall sense that space was a bizarre and incomprehensible realm that challenged our assumptions about reality. It was more a mythic journey in the vein of The Odyssey than a grounded science fiction show, and if you could buy into the trippy, surreal quality, it almost worked. (Maybe it could fall into the "like The Twilight Zone" category as much as the "like Trek" category.) Moreover, there are a couple of things it did even better than TOS: its supporting ensemble cast was better developed, and its technology design and visual effects pretty much left TOS in the dust.

The second season, however, was under new management -- Fred Freiberger, who also produced TOS's third season -- and it was retooled to be more "American" and action-oriented, losing that surreal and philosophical quality in favor of much the same kind of random weirdness you saw in TOS season 3, like aliens happening to have whatever assortment of magic powers was convenient for the plot (teleportation being the msot common by far). It also dumped several of the supporting characters in favor of new ones, including a beautiful alien shapeshifter with a Spock-like intellect. The Freiberger connection does give it a very TOS-like flavor, but mainly like the third season.

Anderson also did an earlier live-action drama called UFO, about a team fighting off an ongoing alien invasion (more overt than the one in The Invaders, but I've never seen it. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't have the entire series.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Melakon
Vice Admiral

UFO's top secret SHADO (Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation) used a film studio as its cover. One of the stranger episodes was the lead character hallucinating that SHADO was just a film set, and we get to see the actual sets as they looked from beyond the false walls.
Old May 26 2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
ETA: And if you want something really baffling, there's always Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner.
Thanks for mentioning it, shame on me I forgot.

IMHO, most of the stories have Twilight Zone characteristics, so it's closer to TZ than ST.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 05:56 PM   #11
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Also in line with the general if not the specific topic, evangelist6589, if you've never seen the classic 1956 film Forbidden Planet, I'd highly recommend it...TOS's illegitimate father to be sure.
Old May 26 2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Mario de Monti
Captain

Definitely! Some of the (still spectacular) visuals and terminology will seem very familiar to TOS fans, as well as having an intelligent story and the general "feel". And even the Enterprise´s trademark "1701" is taken directly from this classic SF movie. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn´t seen it yet.

Mario
Old May 26 2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Sliders(1995-2000) was a series that explored 'what if...' parallel Earths with many different societies and timelines.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Definitely! Some of the (still spectacular) visuals and terminology will seem very familiar to TOS fans, as well as having an intelligent story and the general "feel". And even the Enterprise´s trademark "1701" is taken directly from this classic SF movie. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn´t seen it yet.
Or it's a coincidence.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

It's a coincidence. Matt Jefferies chose "1701" because he thought it registered better with the eye than other numbers when glimpsed briefly or in low resolution.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote