Star Trek Mega Bloks
By: T'Bonz on Oct 8

Quinto To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Oct 8

Shatner Twits Salmond
By: T'Bonz on Oct 7

Star Trek Beyond Poster
By: T'Bonz on Oct 7

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Evolution
Outstanding 1 12.50%
Above Average 1 12.50%
Average 2 25.00%
Below Average 3 37.50%
Poor 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 24 2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Rear Admiral
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
VOY: String Theory 3: Evolution by H. Jarman Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Voyager: String Theory, Book Three - Evolution by Heather Jarman

A wake of destruction and loss threatens the U.S.S. Voyager ™ as Chakotay assumes command. Grief over Janeway's impending death coupled with anxiety brought on by the disappearance of Paris, Kim, and the Doctor forces the crew to take increasingly dangerous actions in order to assure their own survival.

But Voyager doesn't fight alone: behind the lines, powerful forces have allied to give the starship aid. Toward this end, a familiar nemesis -- the cosmic meddler Q -- sends Paris and Kim on a perilous journey. Elsewhere, the Doctor, trapped in a dimension alien to human understanding, reunites with an old friend to help secure the fates of those he's left behind.

Yet the conflict raging in the Monorhan system is merely a surface manifestation of more serious turmoil; the true struggle is rooted in the universe's very foundation. Standing at the eye of this maelstrom is Voyager, whose crew may hold the fate of all.

My short review from 2006:

A good novel.

Evolution was a tough book to rate and review. But in the end my appreciation of Jarman’s writing skills won against my doubts concerning the overall story not only of this novel, but the whole trilogy.

The trilogy’s overall story arc itself can be called decent with some good will, but I never felt that it was able to carry a trilogy, a real epic feeling was missing. It didn’t help much that the different story parts especially in this one never really connected for me. Separately they all had their share of good moments, the Voyager bound one less then the others, but there never was the moment where all would fit together for me.

Heather Jarman was able to capture the characters successfully with only one exception. Her Chakotay didn’t felt quite right for me, especially his relationship with Tuvok and his indecisiveness in some parts of the novel, i.E. when he’s brooding over the crew roster.

Overall a well written novel with an all in all unimpressive story.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
Location: ...But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes.
Re: VOY: String Theory 3: Evolution by H. Jarman Review Thread (Spoile

The String Theory trilogy is overall very difficult to rate, I agree. By no means can any of it be called bad, but it's not the most steady or comfortable of reads. For what it's worth, my sister decided that this was her least favourite of the three, and I think I agree, which is odd given that Heather Jarman has never written anything I wasn't enthusiastic about. The trilogy as a whole gains points for really trying to sink its teeth into the abandoned mythos of Voyager, but I'm not sure it hangs together that well. The Monorhans are of essential importance in book one, and an afterthought in book three (what happened to Sem being pregnant - I thought that would matter somehow?). The opening novel is possibly the best of the three, but its initial encounter-with-aliens feels like a rehash of Section 31: Shadow mixed with The Nanotech War, though it does soon take a dive into the non-conventional. There's a lot of the underlying (criminally underexplored) mythology of the series explored here: pre- and post-Caretaker Ocampa, the Nacene, the higher dimensional plains and how they work, sapient photonics, Voyager's ability to somehow be fully stocked in the latter seasons - but it doesn't quite have the impact it should. Some of it - like fixing Fury - seems to be thrown in because the situation leaves a sour taste remaining as it is, not because the story really needs it. (Still, blessed is she who can fix Fury, and wretched are they who produced it, so no foul, I suppose).

The String Theory books are fascinating, enjoyable, confusing, awkward, and uncomfortably engaging, and Evolution probably the most so. I'd have to say average, which feels wrong because by no means are these books "average" by any criteria - they are, in a sense, oddballs - but in terms of my enjoyment I'd have to call them such.
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, and the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 12:30 AM   #3

The only thing I really remember about this one, is that I didn't like it very much, so I'm going with average.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I just remember being bored to tears by it. Below average for me.
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 02:46 AM   #5
Fleet Captain

I really don't remember "Evolution", and I remember all 3 books were a chore (at times it felt like I was moving through molasses) to get through. I just found there was a lot of useless padding that could've been ditched.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote