Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 10 2014, 02:25 PM   #106
Starship
Commander

Re: Imagine the Enterprise, over again!

Hi Ricky!
I hope that familly and kids are going well.

About the ship, two things comes to my mind when seeeing the last concept you showed us:

Dedalus Class (take off the ring)
Vengeance (obvious reason)

I still think the saucer needs to be there, not a ring. Itīs an element always present in ST. Of course it donīt have to be so simple as in TOS, and surelly nothing like we see in TNG. Anyway, I know itīs a hard mission to imagine something different but at the same time so similar. I tryied to draw something, but I donīt got myself satisfied with anything...
About the other parts of the ship, they looks good.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 05:20 PM   #107
largo
Fleet Captain

the problem with transporters is that they put you precisely one Scotty unit away from not actually needing spaceships at all. and what fun is that?
Old June 11 2014, 06:10 AM   #108
Warped9
Admiral

Food for thought: http://sploid.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-...-fr-1589001939
Old June 11 2014, 01:31 PM   #109
Christopher
Writer

largo wrote: View Post
the problem with transporters is that they put you precisely one Scotty unit away from not actually needing spaceships at all. and what fun is that?
Not necessarily. Let's say you have interstellar transporters like the subspace transporter from TNG's "Bloodlines" or the "transwarp beaming" from the movies. That's fine if you want to beam from, say, Vulcan to Earth or Andoria to Betazed. But would it be a good idea to use it to beam to some uncharted, distant planet? What if its conditions, or its natives, are hostile? Then you're stuck there with no way out, no ship to protect you or rescue you. So ships would still be useful for exploring strange new worlds.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 02:54 PM   #110
Albertese
Commodore

^^^
SEE: Stargate SG-1.

--Alex
Old June 11 2014, 04:23 PM   #111
largo
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
But would it be a good idea to use it to beam to some uncharted, distant planet? What if its conditions, or its natives, are hostile?
so send a MALP first. environment suit. phasers on stun.
Old June 11 2014, 04:36 PM   #112
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

And eventually, you have the Iconian Empire.
Old June 11 2014, 04:41 PM   #113
Christopher
Writer

largo wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
But would it be a good idea to use it to beam to some uncharted, distant planet? What if its conditions, or its natives, are hostile?
so send a MALP first. environment suit. phasers on stun.
Not very useful if you want to, say, study a gas giant planet or a binary pulsar. And just because you can do something doesn't automatically mean you should. Sure, you could beam a landing party directly to an alien planet, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't still be a good idea to have a ship or base of some kind at close range in the event of transporter interference. How many times have we seen episodes where they had to use shuttles because the transporter was damaged or blocked?

Even on Stargate, they often used FTL ships as an alternative to gate travel, for a variety of different reasons. The technologies complement each other, rather than one completely supplanting the other.

Old June 11 2014, 05:09 PM   #114
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

This is gorgeous, but the orientation of the cockpit makes this another jetliner in space. As Christopher points out, by ignoring acceleration forces, this sort of invalidates it as a serious contender for a realistic configuration.

But ... my God, those are beautiful pictures. I'd love to see hi-res versions. This would make an awesome look for a fresh start with the franchise.
Old June 11 2014, 05:48 PM   #115
Christopher
Writer

Psion wrote: View Post
This is gorgeous, but the orientation of the cockpit makes this another jetliner in space. As Christopher points out, by ignoring acceleration forces, this sort of invalidates it as a serious contender for a realistic configuration.
That's not really what I meant. It wasn't so much a matter of realism as one of creativity, familiar Earthbound design assumptions vs. more novel alternatives for a ship with artificial onboard gravity. As I said, a warp drive could work quite well as a sublight gravity drive, and the people within the warp field would feel no acceleration of any kind. They'd be in free fall inside the ship, so orientation wouldn't matter. When they did undergo conventional thrust, I assume it would be like the space shuttle, where the thrust would push them back into their seats -- which is actually what you want when dealing with high g-forces, because then the force is spread out over the body.

Old June 11 2014, 06:33 PM   #116
sojourner
Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post

But ... my God, those are beautiful pictures. I'd love to see hi-res versions. This would make an awesome look for a fresh start with the franchise.
Mark Rademaker has always been a great ship modeler. He also designed the Aventine.

A quick google search of the IXS Enterprise turned up this flicker collection in hires.
Old June 11 2014, 07:31 PM   #117
Starship
Commander

Ricky, we are talking about ST reimagined, so, take a look:
http://roadwarriorz44.deviantart.com...Ship-425009532
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 08:19 PM   #118
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Starship wrote: View Post
Hi Ricky!
I hope that familly and kids are going well.

About the ship, two things comes to my mind when seeeing the last concept you showed us:

Dedalus Class (take off the ring)
Vengeance (obvious reason)

I still think the saucer needs to be there, not a ring. Itīs an element always present in ST. Of course it donīt have to be so simple as in TOS, and surelly nothing like we see in TNG. Anyway, I know itīs a hard mission to imagine something different but at the same time so similar. I tryied to draw something, but I donīt got myself satisfied with anything...
About the other parts of the ship, they looks good.
Hey, they're doing great. My boy is almost 2 now... he's into everything. He can count to 12, and say most of his ABCs already.

He can also recognize the Enterprise, and the TARDIS any time it shows up on TV.

Not sure we have to have a saucer, though... I think this is a good way to evoke that shape, but have the function be completely different.

Beautiful ship, I'm planning to have similar types of detailing on mine. I really like the paint / finish on it... it'll be a nice departure from Aztec panels for me.

I am re-thinking my Nacelles, though. I might go with something similar to the shapes of this ship.

Starship wrote: View Post
Ricky, we are talking about ST reimagined, so, take a look:
http://roadwarriorz44.deviantart.com...Ship-425009532
Cool, but too conventional still, I think. I really like the impulse engines at the back.
Old June 11 2014, 10:19 PM   #119
STRenegade
Lieutenant Commander

The funny thing is that this article is wrong. That is not NASA's new spaceship. That is a design built by Mark Rademaker at the request of Mr. White, who works for NASA.
Old June 11 2014, 11:07 PM   #120
sojourner
Admiral

gizmodo/io9's reporting is generally dismal when it comes to accuracy on space related articles.