Spock Documentary Close To Funding Goal
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Retro Review: Heroes and Demons
By: Michelle on Jun 27

Spock Die Cut Mouse Pad
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Trek Actors Get A Raise
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old May 21 2014, 11:42 PM   #16
Timelord Victorious
Rear Admiral

Re: Real-world religions on futuristic sci-fi

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Touche.

Besides we have circumstantial evidence about Religon survinvg into the 24th Century.

Picard's Christmas experiance in the Nexus
That is an example of cultural heritage, not practised religion. My family is completely atheistic, yet we celebrate christmas.
We don't celebrate the religious part of it, just the secular aspects. Yet we still call it christmas, because thats part of our cultural heritage.
Same for Picard.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 12:23 AM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I seem to recall some sympathetic Muslim characters in Pitch Dark.
Old May 22 2014, 01:40 AM   #18
alpha_leonis
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Now that you mention it, there was also one in the movie adaptation of "Ender's Game." (I've never read the book.)

And as a tangent, I forget the name of the series by Orson Scott Card that was almost a direct retelling of the Book of Mormon (Card himself is LDS.)
alpha_leonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 02:06 AM   #19
HotRod
Commander

Ashley Williams from Mass Effect is christian and talked often about her faith.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 02:56 AM   #20
Neroon
Mod of balance

alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
I had an interesting conversation with my wife recently after watching a particular episode of "Babylon 5", where Commander Ivanova sits Shiva in memory of her father. To the best of our knowledge, this is nearly the only time in any futuristic Sci-fi where any human character follows any kind of religion that's directly recognizable from our current human practice. The later "Dune" novels also feature a band of travelling Jews, and just like Ivanova, their form of Judaism is entirely recognizable based on modern 21st Century practice.
In addition to the example Jan cited, there was also the recurring character of Brother Theo who was decidedly Christian, Roman Catholic monks in fact, though I don't know their specific order.
Old May 22 2014, 03:13 AM   #21
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
yeah, i think Pitch Black did a good job making his religion seem serious-but-natural.

Neroon wrote: View Post
alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
I had an interesting conversation with my wife recently after watching a particular episode of "Babylon 5", where Commander Ivanova sits Shiva in memory of her father. To the best of our knowledge, this is nearly the only time in any futuristic Sci-fi where any human character follows any kind of religion that's directly recognizable from our current human practice. The later "Dune" novels also feature a band of travelling Jews, and just like Ivanova, their form of Judaism is entirely recognizable based on modern 21st Century practice.
In addition to the example Jan cited, there was also the recurring character of Brother Theo who was decidedly Christian, Roman Catholic monks in fact, though I don't know their specific order.
i definitely think Babylon 5 did a great job of showing a multitude of views, and showing not just religious nuts, but honest good religious people as well.

However, i'm a little annoyed that religious people seem to have to be in a very formal religion, and we don't really see religious lay people .

And for me , personally, it's not about religion, but a relationship with God. But that would be hard to portray if your universe doesn't actually believe there is a real God.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 03:18 AM   #22
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Speaking of B5, didn't Sinclair reference the Jesuits on more than one occasion. I think he went to a Jesuit school.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 03:23 AM   #23
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Speaking of B5, didn't Sinclair reference the Jesuits on more than one occasion. I think he went to a Jesuit school.
I recall the same, though I couldn't tell you the episode. I think it's mentioned once when he helps Garibaldi pull a prank on her at breakfast one morning. Also, Capt Lochley was a Catholic. That was mentioned in Lost Tales, I believe.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 03:31 AM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I recall the same, though I couldn't tell you the episode. I think it's mentioned once when he helps Garibaldi pull a prank on her at breakfast one morning.
Babylon Squared
Old May 22 2014, 03:34 AM   #25
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Given Sinclair's final fate, I have to wonder if his Jesuit upbringing had any influence on Minbari religion. Just imagine a branch of Christianity being one of the roots of an alien faith.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 04:12 AM   #26
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Philip Jose Farmer wrote a series of short stories featuring a character called Father Carmody, who is Catholic. He also wrote a book called Jesus on Mars which features a version of Judaism that accepts Jesus as the Messiah. Night of Light is another Farmer book featuring Catholic characters.

Then there's Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock, about a Jewish man who travels back in time to find Jesus.

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller is set in a Roman Catholic abbey.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 08:25 AM   #27
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

A classic is The Fire Balloons from The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 08:47 AM   #28
Melakon
Admiral

In TOS: Balance of Terror, Angela Martine makes the sign of the cross while grieving at the ship's chapel.
Old May 22 2014, 08:53 AM   #29
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The Seafort saga is about a Christian theocracy and I think also features Muslim characters (been a while since I read them).
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2014, 09:26 AM   #30
Beagleman
Fleet Captain

There were Mormon settlers in Starship Troopers... were.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote