TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 28 2014, 07:02 AM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

Star Trek Continues, Episode 4...

Apparently the STC crew have their script for Episode 4 and should start shooting sometime by the end of the year, or so I understand.

On Facebook they made some sort of vague allusion to the episode "All Our Yesterdays." It might have been a red herring and/or totally meaningless. Or it could be a hint. But until some other tidbits come to light anything we might assume would be just mere speculation.

I do know that I would be disappointed if STC does yet another callback to a previous episode. As much as I enjoyed "Fairest Of Them All" I still believe that it's not something TOS would have done. In that light STC's Mirror Universe story was pure fanfic even if it was fun.

Something like "Lolani" would again be much more in keeping with the kind of stories we could expect to have seen from TOS. So I can only hope we get to see something fresh again.

For now we can only wait and keep our ears open...

Last edited by Warped9; September 28 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2014, 10:22 AM   #2
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Continues, Episode 4...

Personal sensibilities aside, it's all "pure fanfic" y'know.
Old September 28 2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Whether they do a sequel to All Our Yesterdays or something else, I'll definitely look forward to it.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2014, 10:57 AM   #4
OpenMaw
Commander

I do hope they do something original, but even if it is a callback, of all the fan series to do callback episodes, I think STC feels the most genuine.
Old September 28 2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Warped9
Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
No! Really?

It's nice when it's not so fannish.
Old September 28 2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

I'm personally divided on the whole thing: should fan films act like fan films and do fannish stuff, or act like "real" series? There's room for both, but I'd argue if you're aiming for "professional" (as a load of groups seem to do these days) you should steer clear of the fannish. Having said that, ultimately its up to these fan producers what direction they go in, one way or another.

Wibble.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Warped9
Admiral

Captain Jed R. wrote: View Post
I'm personally divided on the whole thing: should fan films act like fan films and do fannish stuff, or act like "real" series? There's room for both, but I'd argue if you're aiming for "professional" (as a load of groups seem to do these days) you should steer clear of the fannish. Having said that, ultimately its up to these fan producers what direction they go in, one way or another.
True, but we still can express our druthers just as we would with series actually broadcast on television or films screened in the theatre.
Old September 28 2014, 02:50 PM   #8
captainkirk
Commander

One thing I'm really glad of, they haven't done a time travel episode yet.
Old September 28 2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Captain Jed R. wrote: View Post
True, but we still can express our druthers just as we would with series actually broadcast on television or films screened in the theatre.
Oh I'm not disputing that in the slightest. As I say, I personally agree that the more professional groups should aim for more professional, less "fannish" ideas (by which I mean that fannish ideas in storytelling tend to go for sequels, overt references, things like that, whereas professional work tends to avoid that pitfall - if it's doing it's job). I was merely stating the obvious: they're going to do what they want, as is their right and prerogative.

In any case, I tend to like films of either approach, provided they're done well, so that should be the first priority for any group's effort.

Wibble.
Old September 28 2014, 03:50 PM   #10
Warped9
Admiral

I'm intrigues by the forthcoming production Axanar that will be telling the story of the conflict only fleetingly referenced in TOS. In my view this is a good approach as it it's not a call out to ground already covered in a previous episode. They're expanding on something only briefly referenced with no other detail given whatsoever.

There are lots of things that can be explored in the TOS universe without going back and rehashing characters and places the series has already been to.

captainkirk wrote: View Post
One thing I'm really glad of, they haven't done a time travel episode yet.
Amen.

Last edited by Warped9; September 28 2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old September 28 2014, 04:09 PM   #11
USS Intrepid
Commodore

No! Really?

None of which changes the fact that all of it is still "pure fanfic."

I agree on the latter point however. Though I imagine definitions of what's fannish may vary. Again, depending on your sensibilities.
Old September 28 2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

No! Really?

None of which changes the fact that all of it is still "pure fanfic."

I agree on the latter point however. Though I imagine definitions of what's fannish may vary. Again, depending on your sensibilities.
There's - possibly - a question of whether something is pure fanfic when it isn't regarded as pure fanfic by those making it: when, for example, they set the bar for themselves to aim for a "professional" standard. But that's ultimately a question of differing perspectives, and the objective truth is it's all just fanfic, the pretensions (for want of a less inflammatory word) of the makers aside.

Wibble.
Old September 28 2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

I consider a lot of the published novels to be basically polished fanfic. A lot of them are thinly veiled fan indulgences and none of it counts as "official." That doesn't take away from the fact there have been some quite interesting stories published some of which would have made decent televised episodes.

For me that's a distinction. STC's Mirror Universe episode was very well done and quite enjoyable, but not for a moment can I see the TOS production staff ever doing a story like that. They had visited the Mirror Universe and then it was done and on to explore other things. "Pilgrim Of Eternity" skirts the line because there was precedent of a character introduced earlier (Harry Mudd) being brought back for another story. TAS also delved into revisiting past episodes for a followup, but your mileage may vary on whether you acknowledge those or not.

"Lolani," however, took a little explored element of TOS with the idea of Orion slave women and explored a wholly new aspect to it. This felt like genuine TOS in subject matter and execution. Given STC's stated intent this is the direction I hope they lean to more often than not.

Last edited by Warped9; September 28 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old September 28 2014, 08:35 PM   #14
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Oh I prefer new stories to repeated callbacks. But I still enjoy both on their own merits.
Old September 28 2014, 09:31 PM   #15
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Hmm. Mariette Hartley is still alive and lovely. It would be nice to see her onscreen again.

STPII is supposed to be doing Joanna McCoy soon, perhaps STC is doing Zar.

They also recently posted a Harry Mudd photo. I thought that might be a clue. I think the chance of an original story is pretty slim.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote