RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,634
Posts: 5,427,564
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 535
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 18 2014, 01:15 PM   #31
Dennis
Commodore
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

I kind of liked SG-1. I liked Anderson.
__________________
"I donít think there is any place in the world where [the Ford Mustang] is not known. To build it right here in Michigan is something to be proud of." - UAW Vice President Jimmy Settles

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 12:39 AM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

Dennis wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
I think it stayed true to its roots. I think Star Trek can, too, after ST:09 III comes out, if it goes back to TV and works to fix the timeline. Then you have a great story, and the potential to explore anything, especially some damn good writing.
How does reinstating the Prime Universe bring Star Trek back to its roots roots or lead to good writing?
It doesn't. They'll never return to the "Prime timeline."

The idea of calling Doctor Who "Star Trek's big brother" is a peculiar one, and can be based on nothing more than the fact that DW is a couple of years older than Star Trek. It's not clear that anyone involved with Trek in the 1960s was even aware of DW's existence.
Exactly. Forbidden Planet was the obvious inspiration for Star Trek, not a British TV show that nobody in America had seen at that point. Remember, this was before PBS reruns and the internet, kids. Doctor Who might as well have been airing on Mars . . . .

And I like to think of Farscape as Trek's wild, black sheep offspring. Assuming Star Trek had sex with Buck Rogers and had a child out of wedlock, that is.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 01:21 AM   #33
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

I consider Futurama the spiritual successor to Star Trek.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 02:35 AM   #34
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

SeaQuest DSV was so obviously Star Trek-under-the-sea that I half consider Nathan Bridger to be a Trek captain.
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen "Take me off" - The Stig
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 03:17 AM   #35
Dennis
Commodore
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And I like to think of Farscape as Trek's wild, black sheep offspring. Assuming Star Trek had sex with Buck Rogers and had a child out of wedlock, that is.
And assuming they were both tripping at the time. Farscape's awesome.

People who find imaginary parallels between Doctor Who and "Assignment: Earth" are looking at the two shows very selectively and in complete isolation from the rest of the world and particularly television at the time the shows were made. The two shows didn't resemble one another any more closely than either one resembled "I Spy" except for both being in the science fiction genre.

For one thing, Doctor Who was not the show in 1968 that it has become. The Doctor had been portrayed eccentrically by two older character actors, and neither would ever be mistaken for the sort of rugged action-adventure lead who dominated American TV at the time and which "Seven" fit to a "T." And let's take the single specific coincidental similarity between the two shows that everyone points to: Seven's pen device and the "sonic screwdriver."

The screwdriver makes its first appearance in DW in the serial "Fury from the Deep" which was first broadcast beginning on March 16, 1968.

Guess when "Assignment: Earth" was first broadcast?

March 29, 1968.

At the time that the Trek episode was being written, shot, and finished, the sonic screwdriver had never been seen (much less become a staple bit of business). Any supposed "influence" was impossible.

A pretty obvious source of inspiration for this kind of thing, in those days, would have been the various miniature gadgets that were all over the place in the James Bond-derived "super-spy" genre of the 1960s - and, in fact, the heros on The Man From U.N.C.L.E., a hugely popular show on NBC, had been using communications devices disguised as pens for several years. If Roddenberry stole the gag, he most likely stole it from them.
__________________
"I donít think there is any place in the world where [the Ford Mustang] is not known. To build it right here in Michigan is something to be proud of." - UAW Vice President Jimmy Settles


Last edited by Dennis; June 20 2014 at 03:36 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 03:43 AM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

Dennis wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And I like to think of Farscape as Trek's wild, black sheep offspring. Assuming Star Trek had sex with Buck Rogers and had a child out of wedlock, that is.
And assuming they were both tripping at the time. Farscape's awesome.

People who find imaginary parallels between Doctor Who and "Assignment: Earth" are looking at the two shows very selectively and in complete isolation from the rest of the world and particularly television at the time the shows were made. The two shows didn't resemble one another any more closely than either one resembled "I Spy" except for both being in the science fiction genre.

For one thing, Doctor Who was not the show in 1968 that it has become. The Doctor had been portrayed eccentrically by two older character actors, and neither would ever be mistaken for the sort of rugged action-adventure lead who dominated American TV at the time and which "Seven" fit to a "T." And let's take the single specific coincidental similarity between the two shows that everyone points to: Seven's pen device and the "sonic screwdriver."

The screwdriver makes its first appearance in DW in the serial "Fury from the Deep" which was first broadcast beginning on March 16, 1968.

Guess when "Assignment: Earth" was first broadcast?

March 29, 1968.

At the time that the Trek episode was being written, shot, and finished, the sonic screwdriver had never been seen (much less become a staple bit of business). Any supposed "influence" was impossible.

A pretty obvious source of inspiration for this kind of thing, in those days, would have been the various miniature gadgets that were all over the place in the James Bond-derived "super-spy" genre of the 1960s - and, in fact, the heros on The Man From U.N.C.L.E., a hugely popular show on NBC, had been using communications devices disguised as pens for several years. If Roddenberry stole the gag, he most likely stole it from them.
Exactly. "Assignment: Earth" owes more to 1960s spy-fi than Doctor Who. Derek Flint in Our Man Flint (1966) also had a multi-purpose gadget disguised as a pen--and that was two years before either the Doctor or Seven.

It's only in hindsight that we can look for accidental parallels between the Doctor and Seven. At the time, there was no connection.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 04:00 AM   #37
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

I've always assumed that the inspiration for Gary Seven was hinted at in the Seven.

Dennis wrote: View Post
James Bond
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 04:01 AM   #38
Dennis
Commodore
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

Now there's a thought.
__________________
"I donít think there is any place in the world where [the Ford Mustang] is not known. To build it right here in Michigan is something to be proud of." - UAW Vice President Jimmy Settles

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 03:40 PM   #39
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I've always assumed that the inspiration for Gary Seven was hinted at in the Seven.

Dennis wrote: View Post
James Bond
I've always thought that there was a heavy dose of The Day The Earth Stood Still in "Assignment: Earth." (The original 1951 movie, of course, not the remake.) Seven looks and acts a lot like Michael Rennie as Klaatu. And they're both emissaries from an advanced alien civilization intent to keeping humanity from destroying itself . . ..

Basically, The Day The Earth Stood Still is to "Assignment: Earth" as Forbidden Planet is to Star Trek.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 03:48 PM   #40
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I've always assumed that the inspiration for Gary Seven was hinted at in the Seven.

Dennis wrote: View Post
James Bond
I've always thought that there was a heavy dose of The Day The Earth Stood Still in "Assignment: Earth." (The original 1951 movie, of course, not the remake.) Seven looks and acts a lot like Michael Rennie as Klaatu. And they're both emissaries from an advanced alien civilization intent to keeping humanity from destroying itself . . ..

Basically, The Day The Earth Stood Still is to "Assignment: Earth" as Forbidden Planet is to Star Trek.
That makes a lot of sense. Of course, one main difference being that he's undercover instead of landing in a flying saucer in front of everybody.* Another is that he has a sexy shape-shifting black cat, instead of a giant silver robot that shoots rays out of its eye.

* - Though, Klaatu does go undercover after he's attacked upon landing.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 06:31 PM   #41
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

Spiritual Successor to Star Trek might be found in the early episodes of Andromeda. The Highguard is Starfleet, Hunt is trying to re-establish the Commonwealth, the Commonwealth being the United Federation of Planets. The Commonwealth fell because of their version of the Prime Directive.

Yes yes yes, the series lost it's way after a time.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 06:50 PM   #42
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Spiritual Successor to Star Trek might be found in the early episodes of Andromeda. The Highguard is Starfleet, Hunt is trying to re-establish the Commonwealth, the Commonwealth being the United Federation of Planets. The Commonwealth fell because of their version of the Prime Directive.

Yes yes yes, the series lost it's way after a time.

No that's the Spiritual Successor to Planet Earth/Genesis II.

More seriously how would it be a "Spiritual Successor" to Star Trek? Does it use the same themes and ideas seen in Trek? At best, if you change the names, it's a sequel to Star Trek.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 03:42 AM   #43
Dennis
Commodore
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

Honestly, Babylon 5 - a show that I don't think a lot of, really - was the spiritual successor to Star Trek. Like Star Trek it was a space opera with ambitions, written for a sophisticated audience that expected something more substantial that just action-adventure, and that had strongly-defined if somewhat stolid characters. The settings and characters were so similar that a casual viewer might well mistake B5 for a Trek series. B5's primary writer had a clear, sharp and generally progressive POV on the world that he meant to express in the stories.
__________________
"I donít think there is any place in the world where [the Ford Mustang] is not known. To build it right here in Michigan is something to be proud of." - UAW Vice President Jimmy Settles


Last edited by Dennis; June 21 2014 at 04:28 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 04:11 AM   #44
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

^I'd have to agree with that.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 08:08 PM   #45
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

I think Stargate Atlantis had the fun of the original
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.