Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 18 2014, 01:15 PM   #31
Dennis
The Man

Re: The Spiritual Successor of Star Trek

I kind of liked SG-1. I liked Anderson.
Old June 20 2014, 12:39 AM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
I think it stayed true to its roots. I think Star Trek can, too, after ST:09 III comes out, if it goes back to TV and works to fix the timeline. Then you have a great story, and the potential to explore anything, especially some damn good writing.
How does reinstating the Prime Universe bring Star Trek back to its roots roots or lead to good writing?
It doesn't. They'll never return to the "Prime timeline."

The idea of calling Doctor Who "Star Trek's big brother" is a peculiar one, and can be based on nothing more than the fact that DW is a couple of years older than Star Trek. It's not clear that anyone involved with Trek in the 1960s was even aware of DW's existence.
Exactly. Forbidden Planet was the obvious inspiration for Star Trek, not a British TV show that nobody in America had seen at that point. Remember, this was before PBS reruns and the internet, kids. Doctor Who might as well have been airing on Mars . . . .

And I like to think of Farscape as Trek's wild, black sheep offspring. Assuming Star Trek had sex with Buck Rogers and had a child out of wedlock, that is.
Old June 20 2014, 01:21 AM   #33
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I consider Futurama the spiritual successor to Star Trek.
Old June 20 2014, 02:35 AM   #34
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

SeaQuest DSV was so obviously Star Trek-under-the-sea that I half consider Nathan Bridger to be a Trek captain.
Old June 20 2014, 03:17 AM   #35
Dennis
The Man

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And I like to think of Farscape as Trek's wild, black sheep offspring. Assuming Star Trek had sex with Buck Rogers and had a child out of wedlock, that is.
And assuming they were both tripping at the time. Farscape's awesome.

People who find imaginary parallels between Doctor Who and "Assignment: Earth" are looking at the two shows very selectively and in complete isolation from the rest of the world and particularly television at the time the shows were made. The two shows didn't resemble one another any more closely than either one resembled "I Spy" except for both being in the science fiction genre.

For one thing, Doctor Who was not the show in 1968 that it has become. The Doctor had been portrayed eccentrically by two older character actors, and neither would ever be mistaken for the sort of rugged action-adventure lead who dominated American TV at the time and which "Seven" fit to a "T." And let's take the single specific coincidental similarity between the two shows that everyone points to: Seven's pen device and the "sonic screwdriver."

The screwdriver makes its first appearance in DW in the serial "Fury from the Deep" which was first broadcast beginning on March 16, 1968.

Guess when "Assignment: Earth" was first broadcast?

March 29, 1968.

At the time that the Trek episode was being written, shot, and finished, the sonic screwdriver had never been seen (much less become a staple bit of business). Any supposed "influence" was impossible.

A pretty obvious source of inspiration for this kind of thing, in those days, would have been the various miniature gadgets that were all over the place in the James Bond-derived "super-spy" genre of the 1960s - and, in fact, the heros on The Man From U.N.C.L.E., a hugely popular show on NBC, had been using communications devices disguised as pens for several years. If Roddenberry stole the gag, he most likely stole it from them.

Last edited by Dennis; June 20 2014 at 03:36 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 03:43 AM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And assuming they were both tripping at the time. Farscape's awesome.

People who find imaginary parallels between Doctor Who and "Assignment: Earth" are looking at the two shows very selectively and in complete isolation from the rest of the world and particularly television at the time the shows were made. The two shows didn't resemble one another any more closely than either one resembled "I Spy" except for both being in the science fiction genre.

For one thing, Doctor Who was not the show in 1968 that it has become. The Doctor had been portrayed eccentrically by two older character actors, and neither would ever be mistaken for the sort of rugged action-adventure lead who dominated American TV at the time and which "Seven" fit to a "T." And let's take the single specific coincidental similarity between the two shows that everyone points to: Seven's pen device and the "sonic screwdriver."

The screwdriver makes its first appearance in DW in the serial "Fury from the Deep" which was first broadcast beginning on March 16, 1968.

Guess when "Assignment: Earth" was first broadcast?

March 29, 1968.

At the time that the Trek episode was being written, shot, and finished, the sonic screwdriver had never been seen (much less become a staple bit of business). Any supposed "influence" was impossible.

A pretty obvious source of inspiration for this kind of thing, in those days, would have been the various miniature gadgets that were all over the place in the James Bond-derived "super-spy" genre of the 1960s - and, in fact, the heros on The Man From U.N.C.L.E., a hugely popular show on NBC, had been using communications devices disguised as pens for several years. If Roddenberry stole the gag, he most likely stole it from them.
Exactly. "Assignment: Earth" owes more to 1960s spy-fi than Doctor Who. Derek Flint in Our Man Flint (1966) also had a multi-purpose gadget disguised as a pen--and that was two years before either the Doctor or Seven.

It's only in hindsight that we can look for accidental parallels between the Doctor and Seven. At the time, there was no connection.
Old June 20 2014, 04:00 AM   #37
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

I've always assumed that the inspiration for Gary Seven was hinted at in the Seven.

James Bond
Old June 20 2014, 04:01 AM   #38
Dennis
The Man

Now there's a thought.
Old June 20 2014, 03:40 PM   #39
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I've always assumed that the inspiration for Gary Seven was hinted at in the Seven.

James Bond
I've always thought that there was a heavy dose of The Day The Earth Stood Still in "Assignment: Earth." (The original 1951 movie, of course, not the remake.) Seven looks and acts a lot like Michael Rennie as Klaatu. And they're both emissaries from an advanced alien civilization intent to keeping humanity from destroying itself . . ..

Basically, The Day The Earth Stood Still is to "Assignment: Earth" as Forbidden Planet is to Star Trek.
Old June 20 2014, 03:48 PM   #40
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

James Bond
I've always thought that there was a heavy dose of The Day The Earth Stood Still in "Assignment: Earth." (The original 1951 movie, of course, not the remake.) Seven looks and acts a lot like Michael Rennie as Klaatu. And they're both emissaries from an advanced alien civilization intent to keeping humanity from destroying itself . . ..

Basically, The Day The Earth Stood Still is to "Assignment: Earth" as Forbidden Planet is to Star Trek.
That makes a lot of sense. Of course, one main difference being that he's undercover instead of landing in a flying saucer in front of everybody.* Another is that he has a sexy shape-shifting black cat, instead of a giant silver robot that shoots rays out of its eye.

* - Though, Klaatu does go undercover after he's attacked upon landing.
Old June 20 2014, 06:31 PM   #41
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Spiritual Successor to Star Trek might be found in the early episodes of Andromeda. The Highguard is Starfleet, Hunt is trying to re-establish the Commonwealth, the Commonwealth being the United Federation of Planets. The Commonwealth fell because of their version of the Prime Directive.

Yes yes yes, the series lost it's way after a time.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 06:50 PM   #42
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Spiritual Successor to Star Trek might be found in the early episodes of Andromeda. The Highguard is Starfleet, Hunt is trying to re-establish the Commonwealth, the Commonwealth being the United Federation of Planets. The Commonwealth fell because of their version of the Prime Directive.

Yes yes yes, the series lost it's way after a time.

No that's the Spiritual Successor to Planet Earth/Genesis II.

More seriously how would it be a "Spiritual Successor" to Star Trek? Does it use the same themes and ideas seen in Trek? At best, if you change the names, it's a sequel to Star Trek.
Old June 21 2014, 03:42 AM   #43
Dennis
The Man

Honestly, Babylon 5 - a show that I don't think a lot of, really - was the spiritual successor to Star Trek. Like Star Trek it was a space opera with ambitions, written for a sophisticated audience that expected something more substantial that just action-adventure, and that had strongly-defined if somewhat stolid characters. The settings and characters were so similar that a casual viewer might well mistake B5 for a Trek series. B5's primary writer had a clear, sharp and generally progressive POV on the world that he meant to express in the stories.

Last edited by Dennis; June 21 2014 at 04:28 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 04:11 AM   #44
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

^I'd have to agree with that.
Old June 21 2014, 08:08 PM   #45
publiusr
Commodore

I think Stargate Atlantis had the fun of the original
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote