Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate One Constant Star.
Outstanding 11 24.44%
Above Average 14 31.11%
Average 15 33.33%
Below Average 1 2.22%
Poor 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30 2014, 08:06 AM   #31
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: LE: One Constant Star by David R. George III Review Thread (Spoile

This was not written to DRG3's normal standards, unfortunately. The ending was kind of abrupt, considering it took place over many months; I'd have liked to see more on the psychological impact of the last chapters and more of Sulu Senior's crew's life on the planet, with less repetition of stuff the reader just found out a few pages back. (A simple 'X outlined the situation for Y' instead of a multi-page recap of the adventure so far, for example. The explanation to Harriman was not needed - just knowing Linojj was on screen would tell us that she explains what's happened.)

The central mystery was never solved - what did happen to the original inhabitants? Also, Tzenkethi were over-hyped. They're in the background but only really have one major scene.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 05:33 PM   #32
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

VDCNI wrote: View Post
...though I mainly enjoyed it I thought there were issues.

One is that it kind of meanders to a conclusion... it doesn't really address the central mystery at the end either.

There's some nice character work in it but in some ways I think George tries to focus on too many characters...

...the blurb massively overstates the involvement of the Tzenkethi and the whole thing hinges on a big coincidence.
I was coming in to post a review and saw you'd already hit most of the points I was planning to.

I really like DRG3, he's one of my favorites. His writing style is so meticulous and introspective, and he so often is aiming for deeper themes or well-constructed endings that completely change the meaning of the plots so far, that I start each of his books already trying to think deeper, to see what message or surprise he's going for. It was a little disappointing for that not to happen this time; I expected with "Odyssey solution" that we'd get some twist that changed what we thought happened in the prologue, but no.

I felt like this was 80% of a great novel, a setup for something really surprising or powerful or transcendent, that just ended up calmly meandering to the obvious ending instead.

I enjoyed the experience of reading it, and loved the characterization and the poetry of the writing, but it just didn't land well.
Old June 2 2014, 07:21 PM   #33
2of1million
Captain

I finally got my copy on PAPER I will read it next.

I don't often get paper books, but I thought I would this time so it can go with the rest of The Lost Era series. It sure looks nice on the shelf! I put it next to Serpents Among The Ruins.

I would get paper books all the time, but I just don't have the space, so it's mostly ebooks for me.
2of1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 07:42 PM   #34
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Location: Presenting my proposed Enforced Continuity Bill to a reluctant Federation government.

Thrawn wrote: View Post
VDCNI wrote: View Post
...though I mainly enjoyed it I thought there were issues.

One is that it kind of meanders to a conclusion... it doesn't really address the central mystery at the end either.

There's some nice character work in it but in some ways I think George tries to focus on too many characters...

...the blurb massively overstates the involvement of the Tzenkethi and the whole thing hinges on a big coincidence.
I was coming in to post a review and saw you'd already hit most of the points I was planning to.

I really like DRG3, he's one of my favorites. His writing style is so meticulous and introspective, and he so often is aiming for deeper themes or well-constructed endings that completely change the meaning of the plots so far, that I start each of his books already trying to think deeper, to see what message or surprise he's going for. It was a little disappointing for that not to happen this time; I expected with "Odyssey solution" that we'd get some twist that changed what we thought happened in the prologue, but no.

I felt like this was 80% of a great novel, a setup for something really surprising or powerful or transcendent, that just ended up calmly meandering to the obvious ending instead.

I enjoyed the experience of reading it, and loved the characterization and the poetry of the writing, but it just didn't land well.
Sorry to compound the error, so to speak, but Thrawn in turn has summed up many of my thoughts on the novel. It was wonderful to see these characters again, to have Sulu and Harriman's story continue (complete with unobtrusive but nicely overt references to Serpents... and The Captain's Daughter), and to gain insight into relatively underexplored crewmen like Linojj and Tenger. The story was well-told and always constructed in terms of character, so it was never anything other than engaging. I had a sense, though, that the matter hadn't quite paid off by the end, that the frame on which all of those subtle emotional drapes were hung wasn't entirely strong enough, leaving the overall shape sagging a bit. The conclusion, I believe, was fully intended to be understated and to skirt around the underwhelming - I seem to have in my head the idea of disturbing dreams dissolving into a calm awakening, or (more obviously) of tired satisfaction in homecoming that offers a chance to rest, but it did indeed leave me thinking something like "Oh. Is that it?". Which would be entirely an unfair reaction, I hasten to add, had it been my strongest, but I choose to think of it as a compliment of sorts - this could have been outstanding; as it is it's simply a strong Trek novel.

Maybe it's simply because an unusual stellar phenomenon doesn't have the same significance as a key political flashpoint or atemporal alien deities, and so that extra iron needed to hold the poetry of it all in place was missing this time? Still, good to see Sulu, Harriman and crew again.

Can I have a sequel to Well of Souls next? Pretty please? I actually think DRGIII would do quite well at that...
Old June 2 2014, 07:45 PM   #35
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I finished it yesterday. I was hoping the E-B would end up in another universe until I remembered that Harriman was the head of the SCE before Scott took it over.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 07:48 PM   #36
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Location: Presenting my proposed Enforced Continuity Bill to a reluctant Federation government.

It was nice, I'll add, to finally have answered the question: what finally happened to Excelsior? I guess a peaceful decommissioning was out of the question.
Old June 2 2014, 10:00 PM   #37
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I think a large part of the problem was that the ending was a foregone conclusion from the moment the Ent-B flew through the portal. Which would then, dramatically, make the climax be the fight with the Tzenkethi, but that fight was very underplayed.

EDIT: I just figured out what this novel felt like. This feels like a novelization of one of those two-part season cliffhanger episodes where the writer wrote the first part without thinking about the rest, like Time's Arrow or Descent, where the setup was amazing but the resolution was totally underwhelming. Add on some extra guest stars, a random return to the status quo for no particular reason, and a prologue tacked on by whoever was novelizing it to try and make the story seem coherent instead of a deus ex machina...

Last edited by Thrawn; June 3 2014 at 03:03 AM.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 10:50 PM   #38
bfollowell
Commander

I've never read any of the Lost Era novels. They're on my list but I just haven't gotten around to them yet. I'd like to read this but am wondering if I should, yet.

I know there have been previous Enterprise-B novels and previous Sulu & Harriman novels. I'm curious if there are any of these that I need to read or if there are any of these that I should read before reading One Constant Star.

Opinions?

Thanks.

- Byron
Old June 4 2014, 12:50 AM   #39
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

So actually: One Constant Star isn't that awesome. You don't want to read previous novels so that you can read this one; you really want to read the previous novel, and then maybe this one if you're in the mood for a distinctly inferior follow-up.

The only previous Enterprise-B novel is Serpents Among The Ruins, and it's spectacular. A classic.
Old June 4 2014, 01:46 AM   #40
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

Thrawn wrote: View Post
So actually: One Constant Star isn't that awesome. You don't want to read previous novels so that you can read this one; you really want to read the previous novel, and then maybe this one if you're in the mood for a distinctly inferior follow-up.

The only previous Enterprise-B novel is Serpents Among The Ruins, and it's spectacular. A classic.
So far half way through it and agree with this assessment. This is the last straw with DRG III. I love most of his work but for some reason the last few years have been pretty bad. Bad enough to make me feel sorry for him. Just not enough to ever buy Trek with his name on it again.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 09:16 PM   #41
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

His 24th century novels are better.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 10:05 PM   #42
JD
Admiral

Technically this is a 24th Century novel. It takes place in 2319.
Old June 5 2014, 11:32 PM   #43
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Okay, 42 posts and still no one has posted a picture of the spines.

C'mon people. What's important to you?
Old June 5 2014, 11:37 PM   #44
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Stevil2001 wrote: View Post
Okay, 42 posts and still no one has posted a picture of the spines.

C'mon people. What's important to you?
Oh, Stevil, it's too horrible to talk about. I caution you that the horrors I am about to describe may cause issues for those with weak constitutions.

The spine... well, it's the same design as the first six Lost Era books, but it...

It...

How to say this?

The band with the year on it is at a different height. The title is horizontal and not vertical, squat and ugly like a stunted gnome.

It's carnage; monstrous carnage on my shelves.
Old June 7 2014, 08:12 PM   #45
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Why no mention of the DTI after two inadvertent time travel incidents?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote