Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 22 2014, 12:02 PM   #16
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Re: Hard Drives

Seagate isn't bad in general, just now and then they make a series of iffy drives, the oldest drive I have is a 1983 Seagate ST-412 10 Megabyte drive coming out of an IBM XT, its still working flawlessly after 31 years.

Sometimes you just happen to get your hands on a one-in-a-million drive, I've got a 1Gb JTS drive which has a very bad reputation but this one is still working fine..
Old May 22 2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

*crosses fingers for Santaman*
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 08:39 PM   #18
Bisz
Rear Admiral

I have four WD external drives, 3x 3 gig and one 2 gig. I had a Seagate once, that model had the flaw where it would never stop spinning... needless to say it went back to Costco right away.
Old May 29 2014, 01:40 AM   #19
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

So far this drive is running like a champ. I'm using it to stream media, and it hasn't missed a step so far.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 08:08 PM   #20
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I usually seem to go for WD, but i just bought a 2tb Toshiba for £45, price being the deciding factor here.

2TB, to think just 20 years ago i was installing a 1.44meg floppy disk onto my massive 20 meg HDD. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:02 AM   #21
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

So far my 2TB Toshiba is running fine as the media drive. The 1TB Samsung is doing great too.

The replacement 1TB Seagate was in fact a reconditioned, so I think I'll use it as an external archive/backup. Still not trusting Seagate enough to make it any kind of full time drive.

At least I'll have my ripp...er...um backed-up DVD's and blu-rays saved in multiple locations.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:44 AM   #22
Dryson
Lieutenant Commander

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
I just bought 2 new large capacity HDD's for my desktop.

1 - Toshiba 2 TB,7200 RPM (DT01ACA200)
1 - Samsung 1TB (HE103UJ)

When I built my "current" computer about 9 years ago, I started with 2 Samsung 500GB drives. That was the biggest at that time.

I'm not certain why I went with Samsung, because Seagate was supposed to be the best there was (emphasis on "was").

Those Samsungs went on and on and never gave me any trouble.

At some point I had amassed a lot of media and replaced #2 with a Seagate 1.5TB.

Then around 2007, when I went to Win7, I decided to replace #1 with a Seagate 1TB. I used to keep apps on drive #2, so as to keep #1 (OS) less used.

Within a few years, both of those drives had failed. I've heard something about Seagate large cap. Barracudas failing due to firmware problems, but that was supposedly on units made before mine were.

After that, I put the 2 Samsung 500GB drives back in and still, not a single problem with either one.

I suppose one question is, are larger capacity drives (1TB+) just that much more prone to failing, or has Seagate become just so much crap?

I've had Fujitsu's in laptops, and those have been OK. I've heard bad things about some other brands (Hitachi Deathstar anyone?).

What brands have you all had? Which ones have been good and which have been bad?
Like a building the larger that the structure gets means there will be more structural failure unless the structure has rigid support.

Maybe the 1TB + HDD need to be built like a skyscraper with each level supporting one above it with secondary and tertiary support to ensure the HDD doesn't go down.

I would suggest a modular system where the 1 TB + HDD would have slots that support HDD could be plugged into to help assist with the functions of the main HDD. That way the weight of the HDD is not placed on the single 1 TB + HDD but is distributed to the other smaller support HDD.
Dryson is offline   Reply With Quote