Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 18 2014, 10:21 PM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Star Trek 3: The Edge of Forever

TrickyDickie wrote: View Post
Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Harlan's lawyers would be delighted at the notion.
OP will probably get sued just for suggesting it
What, me worry?

It's an interesting question though....Who really owns the rights to the original story? At this point, I would think that CBS does. If Harlan had adapted a story he'd written to fit Star Trek and its characters, that would be one thing....but the fact is that right from his first submitted outline it was Star Trek, the starship Enterprise, Kirk, Spock, etc, which are all governed by the studio.

If a film were to be made, once again he could cry foul, but I doubt he would get very far.

Wouldn't it be like the writers of Wrath of Khan trying to claim intellectual property rights to elements of Into Darkness? The studio runs the show and the writers are contracted to the studio. Lots of the old episodes were re-written and elements showed up again in later episodes, etc, that the original writers were not compensated for because once written and submitted the material became part of the studio's property.
Harlan Ellison really gets passionate about City on the Edge of Forever. Back in 2007 he reacted to a rumour about the Guardian being in Trek XI by threatening to sue Abrams. A year earlier he actually did sue Pocket Books over a Trek novel that tied into CotEoF.

Although, after XI was released, Ellison did say he enjoyed the movie and would even like to work with Abrams, so I guess as long as they got in contact with him and sought his permission that would keep him happy.
Old May 18 2014, 10:37 PM   #17
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I wonder if Ellison ever watched Stargate.
Old May 19 2014, 03:43 PM   #18
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

Honestly, I'd much rather see some deep space exploration and klingons and stuff in the next movie. Maybe do use time travel in 5 or 6 or something, but I think that there should actually be some 'star' trekking in 3, especially since it will be the 50th anniversary of the show.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 04:32 PM   #19
YARN
Fleet Captain

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
Honestly, I'd much rather see some deep space exploration and klingons and stuff in the next movie. Maybe do use time travel in 5 or 6 or something, but I think that there should actually be some 'star' trekking in 3, especially since it will be the 50th anniversary of the show.
How about a revenge-driven film with a big black spaceship?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 05:46 PM   #20
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

YARN wrote: View Post
So remaking The Doomsday Machine
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 07:21 PM   #21
Franklin
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
maybe your on to something...not in regard to flat out remaking COTEOF (complete with Edith, 1930s etc) but in relation to timetravel (again) and the possibility of Kirk somehow being given the opportunity to correct things and setting the universe back to how it should've been...(therefore Kirk saving his father, Vulcan etc)

Star Trek: Days of Futures Past
That'll never happen. Like it or not, this Trek timeline is the only one we'll see on film going forward.
It would an incredible cheat if they did, but interesting if Trek hadn't done so many reset button stories, before. However, such a story would fit in with what J.D. Payne told an audience at the LDS Film Festival about thinking of a story where there is great ambiguity between right and wrong:

We're trying to set up a kind of situation where you really could...be a good person of any creed or philosophical background and come down on both sides of how you should respond to this opportunity that the crew has ....
It's sort of the Adam and Eve thing, where should we eat the fruit or not eat the fruit? Well, there are some very compelling reasons why they should and why they shouldn't. So, similar kinds of things here that really give the whole movie and opportunity to sort of play with that....
If they do it, though, I'd like the movie to end one of two ways. Either --
1. In the restored timeline, Robau lived, and a cult of personality arose around him. He has become Lord and Master of the Federation.
Or --
2. The movie ends with the timeline changed back, and Kirk in command of a TOS-style ship, which is on a routine mission in a sector when Spock's sensors come across a 1990s sleeper ship called the "Botany Bay". Sets up the teaser for the fourth movie quite nicely, I'd say.

Link to above quotes here (scroll down the page a bit when you get there):

http://io9.com/first-tantalizing-clu...-tr-1548451901

Last edited by Franklin; May 19 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 08:24 PM   #22
The Keeper
Commodore

The 50th fulfilled for me would be an OS homage comprised of an all new story, similar to the teaser of STID only expanded to feature length.

The original music cues, not someone's barely audible interpretation of them, should be liberally applied wherever applicable.

Finally, the Classic opening/ending credits scenes/theme song bookmarking both ends would round things out nicely. They could skip the intro monologue if they wanted to, its been done to death.
Old May 20 2014, 01:30 PM   #23
YARN
Fleet Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
YARN wrote: View Post
So remaking The Doomsday Machine
But only if they promise us Decker won't be in the film,
PHP Code:
but then have a reveal in the third act that he IS Decker
And he'll need to be super-buff and athletic and hop around with cannon-sized guns.

The planet killer zaps the Romulan homeworld to bits. Turns out Decker secretly herded the planet killer there as part of some under-explained jingoistic conspiracy.

After Kirk does something hasty and insubordinate, he loses his command to Decker, but he gets command back after he convinces Star Fleet command that Decker is a bad guy. Kirk learns valuable lessons about leadership and responsibility (again).
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 03:13 PM   #24
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Two movies in a row promised us that we were finally going out into deep space. Now you want to turn around and spend more time on Earth?
The problem with that is that a writer has to make the stories in outer (deep) space be very interesting, otherwise the audience gets bored and you have the same setup as Star Trek: Insurrection where the Enterprise visits the 'Planet Of The Week'. The writers could adapt the Star Trek game for a story, or they could adapt one of the novels as a movie (Crisis On Centaurus, The Galactic Whirlpool, How Much For Just The Planet) or any other Star Trek novel around.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; May 21 2014 at 12:23 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 07:05 PM   #25
Jeyl
Commodore

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
The problem with that is that a writer has to make the stories in outer (deep) space be very interesting, otherwise the audience gets bored and you have the same setup as Star Trek: Insurrection where the Enterprise visits the 'Planet Of The Week'.
As I recall, the original series technically only had one episode that featured their modern day Earth, and it was an illusion. Unless it's an exact replica of Earth or a time travel story, most of the original series' episodes never deal with their at all. Heck, CBS tried to incorporate Earth into the TV spots for the remastered version of "The Doomsday Machine".

"The ultimate weapon is headed for Earth."

No it wasn't. Now you could argue that if the Enterprise didn't stop it and it continued on it's destructive course to destroy all the solar systems it could, than yes. Earth would be eventually be a target. But the episode didn't fall for that trope. It wanted to tell a story about our characters with stakes that were high, but not cliché.

And is Insurrection really a fair example of a Star Trek story that doesn't feature Earth? Because if there was one thing about the film that was boring it wasn't because they were on an alien planet. It was because the alien planet itself was incredibly boring.

If this new take on Star Trek wants to live up to it's name, it's mission statement, and it's own promise it made at the end of it's last two movies, it's got to be able to tell a story without involving Earth. Other wise, why not just call this "Star Trek: Earth's Defense Force" since both of JJ Abrams' movies deal with stopping a revenge driven bad guy who wants to destroy life on Earth.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 12:18 AM   #26
section9
Commander

The only reason to redo City would be under two circumstances:

1. Harlan writes it, of course, to give the effort street cred that it might not have with the fanboy community under Orci.

2. Have Harlan write it in such a way that the original intent of the stour from 1967 is honored AND the Prime Timeline and the JJ Verse are unified by the Guardian of Forever.

Reduces confusion in the Universes,IMHO, and cleans a lot of things up.
Old May 21 2014, 12:36 AM   #27
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Jeyl wrote:
both of JJ Abrams' movies deal with stopping a revenge driven bad guy who wants to destroy life on Earth.
Unlike Nero Khan wasn't trying to destroy Earth or all life on Earth. He only blew up the Section 31 facility, shot up Daystrom, and tried to have the Vengeance crash into Starfleet HQ.
Old May 21 2014, 03:43 PM   #28
Jeyl
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Unlike Nero Khan wasn't trying to destroy Earth or all life on Earth.
Yes he was.
Khan: Mr. Spock, give me my crew.
Spock: What will you do when you get them?
Khan: Continue the work we were doing before we were banished.
Spock: Which as I understand it involves the mass-genocide of any being you find to be less than superior.
What else could it mean?
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 04:39 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Yes he was.
Spock: Which as I understand it involves the mass-genocide of any being you find to be less than superior.
What else could it mean?
I think Spock is talking the long game there. Wouldn't be much fun for Khan to rule over an entire planet with only seventy-two subjects.
Old May 21 2014, 05:09 PM   #30
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Yes he was.
What else could it mean?
I think Spock is talking the long game there. Wouldn't be much fun for Khan to rule over an entire planet with only seventy-two subjects.
Yeah. Could be. The line threw me for a loop when I first heard it, and I've always had trouble with it since, because in "Space Seed" they said Khan was the most dangerous of the tyrants, but there were also no massacres under his rule, and he attacked only if he was attacked first.

From "Space Seed", it seemed Khan's grand plan was to create another golden era of a unified Earth similar to the height of the Roman Empire, with him as Caesar. He wanted to essentially be worshiped like a god by all his "inferior" subjects. So I'd think, the more "inferior" people, the merrier.

He was never associated with genocide. It's a rather jarring inconsistency for Spock to say that, and I don't know where it could've come from. My guess is the writers thought it would be the best way to convey just how evil Khan was. Still, it was an odd characterization compared to what had been said about him, before.