Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 15 2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Reeborg
Commander

Would you get attachted to...

...your cloned baby (as quickly) seeing him/her at the age of 6 months for the first time as T'Pol&Trip did? Not being a father myself, I find that odd that you can really love a child just because it has your genes!? I rather believe that you need to build a relationship for that. I find the end of Terra Prime overly dramatic/emotional.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 08:43 PM   #2
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Would you get attachted to...

I'm not a father, so I really don't have a credible perspective on this. But I guess we're all different, so our propensity for sentimentality and emotional attachment presumably varies significantly between each of us.

As for the episode, it's a TV show. It's a strong "emotional hook" for the audience - and certainly not rare in mainstream entertainment.
Old May 15 2014, 09:21 PM   #3
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I always liked that scene in the Space:1999 episode Alpha Child, where a new mother shrieks in terror seeing her newborn baby, suddenly a small boy. It seemed like a very realistic reaction...she wouldn't go near him.

And I'm not a parent, either, for what it's worth!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 10:16 PM   #4
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I always liked that scene in the Space:1999 episode Alpha Child, where a new mother shrieks in terror seeing her newborn baby, suddenly a small boy. It seemed like a very realistic reaction...she wouldn't go near him.

I love that Space: 1999 70's trippiness, which many of the epiodes are swathed in! I recently picked up the S1 Blu-ray set for a snip.
Old May 15 2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post

But Troi still loved her child in that TNG episode based on a Phase II script. So I guess it depends on the person. So long as the child isn't being used by aliens to kill everyone so they can steal their bodies to use as meat-puppets.
Old May 15 2014, 10:52 PM   #6
teacock
Admiral

On tv people seem to magically bond with their magic cloned child. I think IRL it would take a considerable amount of processing for some people to get to that point.

I think the T/T baby bond was also about their feelings for each other. Here were their feelings, made manifest in a miracle infant (remember they didn't think at the time that Vulcans and humans could breed). Add in that the infant was in danger and the powerful feelings they had towards her make sense.

They had also met and said goodbyes of a sort to another child of theirs in E2.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 11:23 PM   #7
2takesfrakes
Commodore

There's no doubt about it, "Terra Prime" was emotionally manipulative on many levels, but this is not at all unusual for Hollywood. With the exception of RAIDERS, most of the best Steven Spielberg movies are very manipulative. In some ways, you want to resent it, because you might find yourself suckered into caring, almost against your will. There is also a shorthand involved, in doing so, to get us through the movie faster. But it's charming to see T'Pol not having a terribly difficult time drawing upon her motherly instincts here. And Trip's (mistaken) suspicions of her having excluded him from the conception process, also touches on a lot of things in which it can act as a metaphor. When it's clear what the baby's fate will be and the lights are dim in sickbay, the doctor actually had me choked up, a little bit, there. Understand, I don't care for Phlox, but yeah ... a lot of emotional manipulation going on here. But, hey ... That's Entertainment! What we crave for, inside ....
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 12:41 AM   #8
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade

So if you clone a child, you should automatically feel an emotional attachment. If you a clone is made of yourself, you vaporize it with a phaser without remorse?
Zippo and Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 11:32 AM   #9
teacock
Admiral

OR you fall into an orgy of mutual self experimentation..

That's my plan anyway. When I meet my clone. And I'm pretty sure it's my clone's plan too 'cause, clones.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 17 2014, 01:19 AM   #10
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
OR you fall into an orgy of mutual self experimentation..

That's my plan anyway. When I meet my clone. And I'm pretty sure it's my clone's plan too 'cause, clones.
Not my plan. Me and my clone would be each other's wing-man; go out "trolling" for women.
Old May 19 2014, 06:21 AM   #11
Lucky
Commander

Reeborg wrote: View Post
...your cloned baby (as quickly) seeing him/her at the age of 6 months for the first time as T'Pol&Trip did? Not being a father myself, I find that odd that you can really love a child just because it has your genes!? I rather believe that you need to build a relationship for that. I find the end of Terra Prime overly dramatic/emotional.
I don't find it that odd. If I discovered I had a child out there I didn't know about, I have no doubt I would rapidly come to love him or her. The baby would be a part of me. I'm sure I'd be conflicted about how the baby just suddenly came into my life, but I know I would quickly come to love him/her and grow very attached.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Oh for God's sake yes. I wouldn't hesitate for a second. You don't "build relationships" with children, they are just there. You love them unconditionally.

I LOVED this episode for many reasons, one being we got to see the "motherly" side of T'Pol.
Old May 20 2014, 02:03 PM   #13
Reeborg
Commander

Yanks wrote: View Post
Oh for God's sake yes. I wouldn't hesitate for a second. You don't "build relationships" with children, they are just there. You love them unconditionally.

I LOVED this episode for many reasons, one being we got to see the "motherly" side of T'Pol.
So if you meet your cloned child without knowing it's your DNA you'd still and immediately love it as your own child? Or is it just the "knowing" that it's yours that will make you love it immediately?
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 02:14 PM   #14
teacock
Admiral

Plenty of men have found out they have a kid they never knew about. Some of them will start to bond and love that kid before they even meet them.

Of course it is if you know it's your clone, it's not magic DNA.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 20 2014, 02:22 PM   #15
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Yanks wrote: View Post

So if you meet your cloned child without knowing it's your DNA you'd still and immediately love it as your own child? Or is it just the "knowing" that it's yours that will make you love it immediately?
How is that applicable here? How do you know it's cloned? Doesn't DNA reveal that?

It did in this episode. Remember the "I wasn't pregnant" thing between Trip and T'Pol?