Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 15 2014, 01:17 AM   #1
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

"...and another thing..."...besides what?

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Kirk: Mr. Decker, I'd like to see you in my quarters.
McCoy: Mind if I tag along, Captain. (I love how he asks the question as a statement)

That must've been an awkwardly quiet turbo lift ride that followed! What, though, is exactly the significance of using Kirk's quarters? He could have chewed him out in the turbo lift. Though, if Kirk had said "I'd like to see you in the turbo lift." that would be weird.

I seem to remember Kirk doing the 'I'd like to see you in my quarters' thing before, possibly Amok Time, with Spock?

Anyhow, I'm getting into post drift! My main question: after Decker left Kirk's quarters and conveniently ran into Ilia who just happened to make herself available in the vicinity of Kirk's quarters (unless she was on break, I suppose), the scene returns to Kirk's quarters. McCoy says "And another thing...", Kirk obviously annoyed like McCoy were a fly in the room. McCoy continues "As ship's doctor, I am now discussing the subject of command fitness. ".
"Make your point, Doctor."
"The point, Captain, is that it's you who's competing. "
And on it goes.

What on Earth was McCoy discussing with Kirk at first to get him so annoyed? While we were watching Decker and Ilia stand in front of an orange door and talk, I feel like we missed something. I thought the Starfleet's throat/using this emergency/blind you to critical responsibilities stuff was McCoy's main beef?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 01:31 AM   #2
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Kirk: Mr. Decker, I'd like to see you in my quarters.
McCoy: Mind if I tag along, Captain. (I love how he asks the question as a statement)

That must've been an awkwardly quiet turbo lift ride that followed! What, though, is exactly the significance of using Kirk's quarters? He could have chewed him out in the turbo lift. Though, if Kirk had said "I'd like to see you in the turbo lift." that would be weird.

I seem to remember Kirk doing the 'I'd like to see you in my quarters' thing before, possibly Amok Time, with Spock?

Anyhow, I'm getting into post drift! My main question: after Decker left Kirk's quarters and conveniently ran into Ilia who just happened to make herself available in the vicinity of Kirk's quarters (unless she was on break, I suppose), the scene returns to Kirk's quarters. McCoy says "And another thing...", Kirk obviously annoyed like McCoy were a fly in the room. McCoy continues "As ship's doctor, I am now discussing the subject of command fitness. ".
And on it goes.

What on Earth was McCoy discussing with Kirk at first to get him so annoyed? While we were watching Decker and Ilia stand in front of an orange door and talk, I feel like we missed something. I thought the Starfleet's throat/using this emergency/blind you to critical responsibilities stuff was McCoy's main beef?
He was probably just reiterating what Decker had mentioned previously, about how Kirk hadn't logged any space time in years and how he basically stole the Enterprise from Decker for his own personal reasons. In this instance Kirk really was being a dick and both Decker and McCoy were well within their rights to be pissed at him.
Old May 15 2014, 01:45 AM   #3
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
...the scene returns to Kirk's quarters. McCoy says "And another thing...", Kirk obviously annoyed like McCoy were a fly in the room. McCoy continues "As ship's doctor, I am now discussing the subject of command fitness. ".
And on it goes.

The specific dialogue you are referring to is only heard in the "Special Longer Version" of the movie. It was cut from the theatrical release and "The Director's Edition".

Neil
Old May 15 2014, 05:53 AM   #4
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

It does seem odd that Kirk uses his quarters for this sort of thing. Did he not have a ready room?
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 06:19 AM   #5
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
It does seem odd that Kirk uses his quarters for this sort of thing. Did he not have a ready room?
I've wondered if it's some old tradition/procedure on sailing vessels or something. On the series, there were others who were brought to the Captain's quarters. Offhand I recall Harry Mudd and that pilot Christopher. Must have been more of a first season thing, though I don't trust my memory that much.

Come to think of it, in that very episode Harry Mudd, the women, and even the miners met Kirk in his quarters!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:42 PM   #6
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I do like it, though, when Bones leaves and we see Kirk through the glass doors as they close -- COOL!!!
Old May 15 2014, 03:15 PM   #7
CaptPapa
Commander

Actually, not odd; as noted by others, he used his quarters several times for this kind of thing. And no, he did not have a ready room - that was a TNG addition.

ME
Old May 15 2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Lance
Fleet Captain

Theoretically, on old school naval vessels if the captain wanted a word of quiet discipline he might pull you into his cabin (usually located near to the bridge) for a chat. Although strictly speaking such matters as crew discipline would usually be handled by subordinates anyway.

The 'ready room' seen from TNG onwards is essentially closer to this concept than the idea of the captain's quarters being on a lower deck. Although I think the movie First Contact was the only time we ever saw one with an actual bunk?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Dennis
The Man

Yep, no "Ready Room" prior to TNG. Also no "Away Teams," just landing/boarding parties.
Old May 16 2014, 12:12 AM   #10
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I do like it, though, when Bones leaves and we see Kirk through the glass doors as they close -- COOL!!!
Yes, at that point Kirk is unenlightened.
Old May 16 2014, 06:34 AM   #11
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

We did get a 'Captain's office' in TMP, when Kirk and Bones have their conversation with Spock. Admittedly, it was never identified as such, but a desk can be seen in the last little room the trio didn't quite get to before sitting down to chat.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 08:57 AM   #12
ZapBrannigan
Captain

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
We did get a 'Captain's office' in TMP, when Kirk and Bones have their conversation with Spock. Admittedly, it was never identified as such, but a desk can be seen in the last little room the trio didn't quite get to before sitting down to chat.

I thought that was the Officers Lounge, with the big windows facing aft.

In TMP, as in TOS, the outer room of Kirk's cabin doubled as his office. What Kirk really needed was a little room with a cot adjacent to the Bridge, where he could get some Z's but still be two steps away in case of emergency.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Nightowl1701
Commander

"He may be right, Jim. As I seem to recall, you were put in overall charge of the starship refit program. And considering this particular ship was the guinea pig, I'd have thought you'd be devouring every blueprint and schematic the engineers coughed up. If anybody up there should've known about that whole phaser warp engine thing that almost got us all killed just now besides Decker and Scott, it was you. Or were you even reading the paperwork that crossed your shiny new office desk before you signed it? And another thing..."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I wonder what happened to that conference room that had in TOS, that would have been a better place to have a conversation like that. Although knowing Kirk...
Kirk: Ensign, I need to see you in my quarters.
Ensign: I'm a guy, sir.
Kirk: Very well, the conference room then.
Old May 16 2014, 09:44 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I thought his quarters were divided in half (by the clear door), half of which is a ready room and the other half is where he actually lives.