RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,166
Posts: 5,344,649
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 609
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 15 2014, 01:17 AM   #1
LMFAOschwarz
Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
"...and another thing..."...besides what?

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Kirk: Mr. Decker, I'd like to see you in my quarters.
McCoy: Mind if I tag along, Captain. (I love how he asks the question as a statement)

That must've been an awkwardly quiet turbo lift ride that followed! What, though, is exactly the significance of using Kirk's quarters? He could have chewed him out in the turbo lift. Though, if Kirk had said "I'd like to see you in the turbo lift." that would be weird.

I seem to remember Kirk doing the 'I'd like to see you in my quarters' thing before, possibly Amok Time, with Spock?

Anyhow, I'm getting into post drift! My main question: after Decker left Kirk's quarters and conveniently ran into Ilia who just happened to make herself available in the vicinity of Kirk's quarters (unless she was on break, I suppose), the scene returns to Kirk's quarters. McCoy says "And another thing...", Kirk obviously annoyed like McCoy were a fly in the room. McCoy continues "As ship's doctor, I am now discussing the subject of command fitness. ".
"Make your point, Doctor."
"The point, Captain, is that it's you who's competing. "
And on it goes.

What on Earth was McCoy discussing with Kirk at first to get him so annoyed? While we were watching Decker and Ilia stand in front of an orange door and talk, I feel like we missed something. I thought the Starfleet's throat/using this emergency/blind you to critical responsibilities stuff was McCoy's main beef?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 01:31 AM   #2
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Kirk: Mr. Decker, I'd like to see you in my quarters.
McCoy: Mind if I tag along, Captain. (I love how he asks the question as a statement)

That must've been an awkwardly quiet turbo lift ride that followed! What, though, is exactly the significance of using Kirk's quarters? He could have chewed him out in the turbo lift. Though, if Kirk had said "I'd like to see you in the turbo lift." that would be weird.

I seem to remember Kirk doing the 'I'd like to see you in my quarters' thing before, possibly Amok Time, with Spock?

Anyhow, I'm getting into post drift! My main question: after Decker left Kirk's quarters and conveniently ran into Ilia who just happened to make herself available in the vicinity of Kirk's quarters (unless she was on break, I suppose), the scene returns to Kirk's quarters. McCoy says "And another thing...", Kirk obviously annoyed like McCoy were a fly in the room. McCoy continues "As ship's doctor, I am now discussing the subject of command fitness. ".
"Make your point, Doctor."
"The point, Captain, is that it's you who's competing. "
And on it goes.

What on Earth was McCoy discussing with Kirk at first to get him so annoyed? While we were watching Decker and Ilia stand in front of an orange door and talk, I feel like we missed something. I thought the Starfleet's throat/using this emergency/blind you to critical responsibilities stuff was McCoy's main beef?
He was probably just reiterating what Decker had mentioned previously, about how Kirk hadn't logged any space time in years and how he basically stole the Enterprise from Decker for his own personal reasons. In this instance Kirk really was being a dick and both Decker and McCoy were well within their rights to be pissed at him.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 01:45 AM   #3
Indysolo
Fleet Captain
 
Indysolo's Avatar
 
Location: Sunny California
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
...the scene returns to Kirk's quarters. McCoy says "And another thing...", Kirk obviously annoyed like McCoy were a fly in the room. McCoy continues "As ship's doctor, I am now discussing the subject of command fitness. ".
"Make your point, Doctor."
"The point, Captain, is that it's you who's competing. "
And on it goes.

What on Earth was McCoy discussing with Kirk at first to get him so annoyed? While we were watching Decker and Ilia stand in front of an orange door and talk, I feel like we missed something. I thought the Starfleet's throat/using this emergency/blind you to critical responsibilities stuff was McCoy's main beef?
The specific dialogue you are referring to is only heard in the "Special Longer Version" of the movie. It was cut from the theatrical release and "The Director's Edition".

Neil
__________________
"Garret Wang's costume was so 'West Hollywood', I offered to be best man at his wedding."
-Walter Koenig on Garret Wang's Of Gods and Men costume
Indysolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 05:53 AM   #4
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain
 
AgentCoop's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

It does seem odd that Kirk uses his quarters for this sort of thing. Did he not have a ready room?
__________________
Two penguins were walking across an iceberg.
One penguin turned to the second penguin and said
"You look like you're wearing a tuxedo."
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 06:19 AM   #5
LMFAOschwarz
Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
It does seem odd that Kirk uses his quarters for this sort of thing. Did he not have a ready room?
I've wondered if it's some old tradition/procedure on sailing vessels or something. On the series, there were others who were brought to the Captain's quarters. Offhand I recall Harry Mudd and that pilot Christopher. Must have been more of a first season thing, though I don't trust my memory that much.

Come to think of it, in that very episode Harry Mudd, the women, and even the miners met Kirk in his quarters!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:42 PM   #6
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

I do like it, though, when Bones leaves and we see Kirk through the glass doors as they close -- COOL!!!
__________________
― It Takes Two.™
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 03:15 PM   #7
CaptPapa
Commander
 
Location: I really do not know . . .
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
It does seem odd that Kirk uses his quarters for this sort of thing. Did he not have a ready room?

Actually, not odd; as noted by others, he used his quarters several times for this kind of thing. And no, he did not have a ready room - that was a TNG addition.

ME
__________________
ME, what did I do?
CaptPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

Theoretically, on old school naval vessels if the captain wanted a word of quiet discipline he might pull you into his cabin (usually located near to the bridge) for a chat. Although strictly speaking such matters as crew discipline would usually be handled by subordinates anyway.

The 'ready room' seen from TNG onwards is essentially closer to this concept than the idea of the captain's quarters being on a lower deck. Although I think the movie First Contact was the only time we ever saw one with an actual bunk?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Dennis
The Man
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Location: Leading a charmed life
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

Yep, no "Ready Room" prior to TNG. Also no "Away Teams," just landing/boarding parties.
__________________
Yes, I'm an American. Yes, we're crazy. Tell a friend.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 12:12 AM   #10
Indysolo
Fleet Captain
 
Indysolo's Avatar
 
Location: Sunny California
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I do like it, though, when Bones leaves and we see Kirk through the glass doors as they close -- COOL!!!
Yes, at that point Kirk is unenlightened.
__________________
"Garret Wang's costume was so 'West Hollywood', I offered to be best man at his wedding."
-Walter Koenig on Garret Wang's Of Gods and Men costume
Indysolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 06:34 AM   #11
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain
 
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

We did get a 'Captain's office' in TMP, when Kirk and Bones have their conversation with Spock. Admittedly, it was never identified as such, but a desk can be seen in the last little room the trio didn't quite get to before sitting down to chat.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 08:57 AM   #12
ZapBrannigan
Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
We did get a 'Captain's office' in TMP, when Kirk and Bones have their conversation with Spock. Admittedly, it was never identified as such, but a desk can be seen in the last little room the trio didn't quite get to before sitting down to chat.

I thought that was the Officers Lounge, with the big windows facing aft.

In TMP, as in TOS, the outer room of Kirk's cabin doubled as his office. What Kirk really needed was a little room with a cot adjacent to the Bridge, where he could get some Z's but still be two steps away in case of emergency.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

"He may be right, Jim. As I seem to recall, you were put in overall charge of the starship refit program. And considering this particular ship was the guinea pig, I'd have thought you'd be devouring every blueprint and schematic the engineers coughed up. If anybody up there should've known about that whole phaser warp engine thing that almost got us all killed just now besides Decker and Scott, it was you. Or were you even reading the paperwork that crossed your shiny new office desk before you signed it? And another thing..."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Kirby
Rear Admiral
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Location: Alt: 5280
View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

I wonder what happened to that conference room that had in TOS, that would have been a better place to have a conversation like that. Although knowing Kirk...
Kirk: Ensign, I need to see you in my quarters.
Ensign: I'm a guy, sir.
Kirk: Very well, the conference room then.
__________________
Henderson!!!!
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 09:44 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: "...and another thing..."...besides what?

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
It does seem odd that Kirk uses his quarters for this sort of thing. Did he not have a ready room?
I thought his quarters were divided in half (by the clear door), half of which is a ready room and the other half is where he actually lives.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.