IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 24 2014, 08:05 AM   #46
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Deputy PM says Russia aims to end ISS participation in 2020

Actually, SpaceX has had a pretty good track record. They're even starting to get their flight rate up this year.
Old May 24 2014, 03:29 PM   #47
Yminale
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Actually, SpaceX has had a pretty good track record. They're even starting to get their flight rate up this year.
That happened at Tesla (minus the battery problems). Funny how things work out when Elon Musk isn't running things.
Old May 24 2014, 04:05 PM   #48
sojourner
Admiral

Considering Tesla didn't start getting it's act together until Musk took direct control, I'm gonna have to call you on that. And the fact that Musk is "running things" at SpaceX currently.
Old May 26 2014, 07:01 AM   #49
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Considering Tesla didn't start getting it's act together until Musk took direct control, I'm gonna have to call you on that. And the fact that Musk is "running things" at SpaceX currently.
Elon Musk hasn't run day to day operations for either corporations since 2008. Right now he's nothing more than a glorified spokesperson and fundraiser.
Old May 26 2014, 11:47 PM   #50
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
Elon Musk hasn't run day to day operations for either corporations since 2008. Right now he's nothing more than a glorified spokesperson and fundraiser.
I (and the facts beg to differ) please see the following

http://www.spacex.com/about/leadership

As CEO and Chief Designer, Elon Musk oversees development of rockets and spacecraft for missions to Earth orbit and ultimately to other planets. The SpaceX Falcon 1 was the first privately developed liquid-fueled rocket to reach orbit. In 2008, SpaceX won a NASA contract to use its Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft to commercially provide the cargo transport function of the space shuttle, which was retired in 2011. In 2010, SpaceX became the first commercial company to successfully recover a spacecraft from Earth orbit with its Dragon spacecraft. And in 2012, SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft became the first commercial vehicle to successfully attach to the International Space Station and return cargo to Earth.
Prior to SpaceX, Elon cofounded PayPal, the world's leading Internet payment system, and served as the company's Chairman and CEO. Before PayPal, Elon cofounded Zip2, a provider of Internet software to the media industry.
He has a Bachelor of Science in physics from the University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Arts in business from the Wharton School.
please back up your assertions with actual facts please..
Old May 27 2014, 10:57 PM   #51
sojourner
Admiral

Yep, ditto for Tesla:
http://www.teslamotors.com/executives

Elon Musk is the CEO and Product Architect of Tesla Motors and the CEO/CTO of Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX).
At Tesla, Elon has overseen product development and design from the beginning, including the all-electric Tesla Roadster, Model S and Model X. Transitioning to a sustainable energy economy, in which electric vehicles play a pivotal role, has been one of his central interests for almost two decades, stemming from his time as a physics student working on ultracapacitors in Silicon Valley.
At SpaceX, Elon is the chief designer, overseeing development of rockets and spacecraft for missions to Earth orbit and ultimately to other planets. In 2008, SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft won the NASA contract to provide a commercial replacement for the cargo transport function of the Space Shuttle, which retired in 2011. The SpaceX Falcon 1 was the first privately developed liquid fuel rocket to reach orbit. In 2010, SpaceX became the first commercial company to successfully recover a spacecraft from Earth orbit with its Dragon spacecraft. In 2012, SpaceX became the first commercial company to dock with the International Space Station and return cargo to Earth with the Dragon.
In addition, Elon is the non-executive chairman and principal shareholder of SolarCity, which he helped create. SolarCity is now the leading provider of solar power systems in the United States.
Old May 28 2014, 11:05 PM   #52
Dryson
Lieutenant Commander

Don't worry we have private space firms such as Stratolaunch to help keep the ISS going.

The real question is should we consider those here in America who are obviously applauding the Russian ploy to be traitors and siding with an enemy that is causing domestic terrorism by trying to shut down the ISS?

I think so. They'll be seeing more than four lights that much is certain.
Dryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 02:29 AM   #53
sojourner
Admiral

Then we'll also have to round up everyone at NASA that actively worked with Russia. "siding with the enemy" and all.
Old May 29 2014, 04:59 PM   #54
Dukhat
Commodore

Dryson wrote: View Post
Don't worry we have private space firms such as Stratolaunch to help keep the ISS going.

The real question is should we consider those here in America who are obviously applauding the Russian ploy to be traitors and siding with an enemy that is causing domestic terrorism by trying to shut down the ISS?

I think so. They'll be seeing more than four lights that much is certain.
I'm assuming you're joking about the "traitors" comment. With that said, the ISS has been a colossal waste of money and resources. For its pricetag we could have built thousands of robotic space probes and explored every nook and cranny of our solar system. Good riddance.

IMHO, the only reason why a space station should exist is to be a waypoint/construction/docking facility for an interplanetary manned spacecraft.

Last edited by Dukhat; May 29 2014 at 05:25 PM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 09:23 PM   #55
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
I'm assuming you're joking about the "traitors" comment. With that said, the ISS has been a colossal waste of money and resources. For its pricetag we could have built thousands of robotic space probes and explored every nook and cranny of our solar system. Good riddance.

IMHO, the only reason why a space station should exist is to be a waypoint/construction/docking facility for an interplanetary manned spacecraft.
It hasn't been totally useless:

Top 10 Things ISS has helped with

No. 10: Astronauts are now able to stave off much of the bone loss that has historically accompanied long periods of weightless during spaceflight. Proper diet, including adequate amounts of vitamin D, and exercise are the solution. Resistive exercise, like that afforded by weight lifting on the Earth, is a recent addition and is now helping to prevent a similar terrestrial ailment, osteoporosis.
No. 9: Understanding the metabolic processes that lead to osteoporosis and developing the medications and therapies for prevention.

No. 8: Using optical instruments on the space station to assess water quality in the world’s coastal bays.

No. 7: Manipulating nanoparticles with electrical fields through the self assembly of colloids. Paint and milk are examples of liquids with particles called colloids.

No. 6: Combustion research that is revealing more efficient ways of fuel consumption.

No. 5: Studies that reveal increased virulence of bacteria in space. The findings point to possible vaccines, perhaps one to combat salmonella, which is responsible for 15,000 hospitalizations and 400 deaths annually.

No. 4: Activities that inspire and instruct students about the values of science, technology, engineering and math, or the STEM fields. Space station crews and other activities have involved 63 million of the world’s students so far.

No. 3: Studies of dark matter using the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer, an external observatory that was installed by space shuttle astronauts in 2011. Much of the universe is made of dark matter, a substance that scientists are just beginning to understand.

No. 2: Improvements in robotics accomplished with the station’s Canadian built robot arms that are leading to improvements in brain surgery techniques.

No. 1: Microgravity micro-encapsulation. The term is a mouthful, but it means using the weightless environment to develop drugs that can attack specific tumors with chemotherapy. Medical trials are under way.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:18 AM   #56
Dukhat
Commodore

^All of which could have been done far cheaper by other means. There was once an idea to recycle the shuttle's external fuel tank upon orbit and convert it into a makeshift space station instead of just letting it burn up on reentry. Unless there was a logical reason why this wouldn't have been feasible, we could have had literally over a hundred mini space stations built from already existing materials in which to perform the above experiments. Even if they only lasted six months, those hundred stations in total would still have been cheaper to produce than the ISS, because they were already being produced anyway.
Old May 30 2014, 12:23 AM   #57
sojourner
Admiral

It wasn't feasible.
Old May 30 2014, 12:39 AM   #58
Metryq
Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Astronauts are now able to stave off much of the bone loss that has historically accompanied long periods of weightless during spaceflight
...by adding big pockets in space suits to hold purring cats.
Old May 30 2014, 02:14 AM   #59
Dukhat
Commodore

It wasn't feasible.
Ok, but why?
Old May 30 2014, 01:37 PM   #60
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
^All of which could have been done far cheaper by other means. There was once an idea to recycle the shuttle's external fuel tank upon orbit and convert it into a makeshift space station instead of just letting it burn up on reentry. Unless there was a logical reason why this wouldn't have been feasible, we could have had literally over a hundred mini space stations built from already existing materials in which to perform the above experiments. Even if they only lasted six months, those hundred stations in total would still have been cheaper to produce than the ISS, because they were already being produced anyway.
IMO the big loss with the ISS was the lack of international cooperation in using the station to assemble at the station a spacecraft a jointly funded manned mission to Mars. If all of the nations involved in the ISS would help pay for a mission to Mars, American taxpayers and the US Congress would be far more likely to fund the project at considerably less expense.

Such a project would have been humanities first attempt to work together to explore the stars.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote