Star Trek: Renegades Los Angeles Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Shatner Show Coming To Australia
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Wigs

Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 3 2014, 04:37 AM   #151
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

Re: Should "Star Trek IV" have introduced a different NCC-1701-A?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Or assigned to a brand-new USS Yorktown (in VOY's "Flashback," Tuvok's father was said to be aboard a Yorktown at the time of Star Trek VI). Maybe that Yorktown was an Excelsior-class ship.
I always got the impression that the Enterprise-B was the first Excelsior class ship produced after the prototype. But that's just my speculation. Honestly, I'd prefer that the Enterprise-A wasn't the Yorktown (but was an older ship that was renamed), and that Tuvok's dad was serving on the Yorktown we see in STIV.
Old June 3 2014, 08:40 PM   #152
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

I still think it was the last Connie produced and was almost completed but then not finished due to the Excelsior. It was rushed to be finished and given to Kirk and company at the end of The Voyage Home.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 08:48 PM   #153
dswynne1
Lieutenant Commander

Leto_II wrote: View Post
Also, now that I'm remembering, we do hear the Ambassador-class referred to in dialogue way back in TNG's first season (in the episode "Conspiracy"), but no model was as then yet built (despite seeing debris onscreen after the USS Horatio's destruction).
Was the Enterprise-C an Ambassador-class?
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 09:39 PM   #154
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

dswynne1 wrote: View Post
Leto_II wrote: View Post
Also, now that I'm remembering, we do hear the Ambassador-class referred to in dialogue way back in TNG's first season (in the episode "Conspiracy"), but no model was as then yet built (despite seeing debris onscreen after the USS Horatio's destruction).
Was the Enterprise-C an Ambassador-class?
Yup.
Old June 4 2014, 12:06 AM   #155
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
I still think it was the last Connie produced and was almost completed but then not finished due to the Excelsior. It was rushed to be finished and given to Kirk and company at the end of The Voyage Home.
But that doesn't explain why it was decommissioned only after six years.
Old June 4 2014, 12:13 AM   #156
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
I was thinking that if it was rushed into service and the Excelsior class was now the new standard and after all the damage from Chang it wasn't worth repairing and putting her back in service. It is also possible that there was more time between TFF and TUC. We did see another bridge upgrade. So it might have been more than 6 years.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 12:49 AM   #157
Chemahkuu
Admiral

There's the problem of Uhura receiving a subspace transmission ordering them home (ship and crew) to be decommissioned...too soon after the battle for Starfleet to even know what condition the Enterprise was in.

The matter was discussed, approved, the signal sent, and it arrived shortly after the battle.

Starfleet was already going to mothball the A regardless. The Excelsior class was just the way Starfleet wanted to go, and with the new era of peace, shedding the old wartime motif to the fleet (ie getting rid of the Constitution class that did most of the fighting) was probably high on their list of priorities after Khitomer.
Old June 4 2014, 12:57 AM   #158
austen_pierce
Captain

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
There's the problem of Uhura receiving a subspace transmission ordering them home (ship and crew) to be decommissioned...too soon after the battle for Starfleet to even know what condition the Enterprise was in.

The matter was discussed, approved, the signal sent, and it arrived shortly after the battle.

Starfleet was already going to mothball the A regardless. The Excelsior class was just the way Starfleet wanted to go, and with the new era of peace, shedding the old wartime motif to the fleet (ie getting rid of the Constitution class that did most of the fighting) was probably high on their list of priorities after Khitomer.

But: (from IMDB)
"Captain's Log, stardate 9529.1. This is the final cruise of the Starship Enterprise under my command. This ship and her history will shortly become the care of another crew. To them and their posterity will we commit our future. They will continue the voyages we have begun, and journey to all the undiscovered countries, boldly going where no man... where no *one* has gone before."

Implying that ENT-A is not to be decommissioned, but turned over to new hands. I know this is supposed to be a metaphorical baton passing to TNG, but in-universe, I have to assume this means ENT-A will live on. Uhura's earlier statement about being decommissioned, appears to have been countermanded by this point (we don't know how long after the battle this log is actually recorded). Perhaps Kirk showed that there's life in the Connie after all. ENT-A did after all beat Chang's cloaked BOP, while all Excelsior did was take torpedo hits. YMMV.

Last edited by austen_pierce; June 4 2014 at 02:44 AM.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:07 AM   #159
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Implying that ENT-A is not to be decommissioned, but turned over to new hands. I know this is supposed to be a metaphorical baton passing to TNG, but in-universe, I have to assume this means ENT-A will live on.
For how long? Just the span of time before they christened the Ent-B? How long was that? I think Kirk was just being overly dramatic.

Uhura's earlier statement about being decommissioned, appears to have been countermanded by this point.
How can Kirk countermand a Starfleet order?

Last edited by Dukhat; June 4 2014 at 01:28 AM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 01:19 AM   #160
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

Because, "only Nixon could go to China."
Old June 4 2014, 02:49 AM   #161
austen_pierce
Captain

Implying that ENT-A is not to be decommissioned, but turned over to new hands. I know this is supposed to be a metaphorical baton passing to TNG, but in-universe, I have to assume this means ENT-A will live on.
For how long? Just the span of time before they christened the Ent-B? How long was that? I think Kirk was just being overly dramatic.

Uhura's earlier statement about being decommissioned, appears to have been countermanded by this point.
How can Kirk countermand a Starfleet order?

I always had the impression that a lot of time passed between TUC and GEN. Yes, some of this is influenced by Shatner's novels, particularly the non-canon Ashes of Eden, which detailed ENT-A's final fate. But even there, the ship was in mothballs, so...

To the latter, I only meant that Starfleet changed their mind. I know I'm out on a limb, and a thin one at that.
Old June 4 2014, 02:58 AM   #162
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Didn't Gen say Harriman was the first person since Kirk to command an Enterprise?
Old June 4 2014, 04:17 AM   #163
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Didn't Gen say Harriman was the first person since Kirk to command an Enterprise?
Yeah, I think so. Also, I think its suppose to take place only a year or so after TUC.
Old June 4 2014, 12:25 PM   #164
austen_pierce
Captain

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Damn. Yes it does. One of the reporters says something like 'this is the first Enterprise in XX years without James T Kirk in command How do you feel about that?"

So much for my theory.

I'd also forgotten that Yorktown appears earlier in TVH. Any chance the whale probe damage is responsible for the problems the ship has in TFF, assuming Y becomes E-A?
Old June 4 2014, 05:59 PM   #165
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

I'd also forgotten that Yorktown appears earlier in TVH. Any chance the whale probe damage is responsible for the problems the ship has in TFF, assuming Y becomes E-A?
I would think that if the Yorktown suffered damage from the Whale Probe to the extent of the ship having all the troubles it did in STV, that Starfleet would never have green-lit its launch at the end of STIV.