Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 16 2014, 09:17 AM   #46
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: So I started watching "Babylon 5" for the first time.

Also been doing a bit of a Farscape re-watch as well. Just towards the end of S1 of that show
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 10:42 AM   #47
JuanBolio
Admiral

Two words of foreshadow, my friend -

"Londo's penises".

Yup.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 01:52 PM   #48
Tulin
Vice Admiral

And Narn "breen".

Every race has their version.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 05:46 PM   #49
Marsden
Captain

Spoo
Old May 16 2014, 05:53 PM   #50
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
Finished season one...1st ep of season two,,,So they finally explain what happened to Sinclair at the end of the war, and why the Minbari surrendered. now though Sincliar is Gone, (all the eps. I ever saw in the 90's were with this "new" guy) I am curious, was this part of the planned arc? or did the guy who played Sinclair not want to continue after the first season?, also, it would appear Delleen (sp) is about to hatch. Curious about this skitchy guy who "helped" londo by wiping out a narn base, is this the "enemy the humans and mimbari must unite against"? the plot thickens....
From memory no it wasn't part of the planned arc, but JMS who created the show and wrote most of the episodes had trapdoors for the characters so if an actor wanted to leave he could still tell the story. I could answer your question about they guy, but to avoid spoilers you'll just have to wait to find out.
One version of the story, which makes total sense to me (though not sure if it's now proven not true, since we've been told now of O'Hare's illness), was that JMS came to realize that there was simply too much Arc for only a single character, and he had to introduce Sheridan at some point, anyways (though it might have been later, had Michael O'Hare not left the show after S1), because there was no way Sinclair could be used for everything he had in mind for the Lead.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 08:22 PM   #51
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

^IIRC JMS's original plan was actually for ten years with the first five years about the rise of the Shadows and the second half with a timeskip in between about Sinclair and Delenn fighting the Shadows and their Centauri pawns in the future briefly alluded to in Babylon Squared.

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
Finished season one...1st ep of season two,,,So they finally explain what happened to Sinclair at the end of the war, and why the Minbari surrendered. now though Sincliar is Gone, (all the eps. I ever saw in the 90's were with this "new" guy) I am curious, was this part of the planned arc? or did the guy who played Sinclair not want to continue after the first season?,
It was a mutual parting apparently Michael O'Hare the actor had a very unfortunate history of mental illness and drug abuse.
Old May 16 2014, 09:11 PM   #52
Jan
Commodore

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
It was a mutual parting apparently Michael O'Hare the actor had a very unfortunate history of mental illness and drug abuse.

There was *no* drug abuse involved. For the full story as told by JMS at the B5 20th anniversary celebration in Phoenix last year, here's an audio file of the entire panel. https://soundcloud.com/janmschroeder/pcc-promise-panel

Start at about 26:30 for JMS discussing Rick Biggs, Andreas Katsulas, Jeff Conaway (it's he who had addiction issues) and Michael O'Hare.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 09:34 PM   #53
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Just the mental illness, no drug problem.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 11:43 PM   #54
Tulin
Vice Admiral

I've never heard anything about a TEN YEAR series.

I VERY clearly recall JMS relaying the story about execs offering the actors a standard six year contract and JMS's gleeful retort that they would only need FIVE year contacts, as there was no story after year five.

So confident was he that that would be it.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 12:18 AM   #55
Jan
Commodore

There was an outline that JMS wrote between the Pilot and the first season which was published in Volume 15 of the B5 script books and it specified two series. Many things were the same as what we got but the biggest difference (aside from the change in commanders) was that B4 was taken into the future and was a base when the Minbari conflict re-ignites. The second series would have been called "Babylon Prime". No telling when he jettisoned much of that story but very likely O'Hare's illness was part of it.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 12:37 AM   #56
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Ummm...Guys, it's probably my fault for taking us into this tangent, but, let's not forget this a First Time Watch Thread, with the OP barely into Season 2, so, we should be careful what we reveal.

There's a Sentence or two (Maybe even 3?) in the posts since my last reply, that I would Spoiler, if they were my posts

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 01:36 AM   #57
Tribble puncher
Commander

I'm halfway through season 2...stuff be gettin real now yo...some sinister things going on at earth, but those ships that attacked the Narn colony, damn that was a heartbreaker, Londo is not on my like list right now, and poor Capt. Sheridan, just got there and he's being thrown into the Intergalactic Woodchipper. The part about having to "Rent" their quarters was hilarious. I love the detail of this show, I can see where Mass Effect got alot of it's inspiration from. I'm really liking this shor alot better than DS9, and I am a fan of DS9.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 04:28 AM   #58
diankra
Commodore

As people have said, TP, the Shakespearean sub-title for B5 would be 'The tragedy of Londo Mollari.' His mistakes, weaknesses and regrets are the story.
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 04:37 AM   #59
MacLeod
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Ummm...Guys, it's probably my fault for taking us into this tangent, but, let's not forget this a First Time Watch Thread, with the OP barely into Season 2, so, we should be careful what we reveal.

There's a Sentence or two (Maybe even 3?) in the posts since my last reply, that I would Spoiler, if they were my posts
Agreed there are some lines that are boarding on being spoilerish.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 07:06 PM   #60
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

diankra wrote: View Post
As people have said, TP, the Shakespearean sub-title for B5 would be 'The tragedy of Londo Mollari.' His mistakes, weaknesses and regrets are the story.
You know, I STILL don't see that. I've been hearing how "Babylon 5 is really the story of Londo Mollari" for years now, and I just can't see it. I finished a re-watch of my B5 (and Crusade) DVD sets two weeks ago, and this time, mindful of that, I was watching for it, but I didn't see it. Babylon 5 is as much about Sinclair and Sheridan (and everybody else) as it is about Londo.

JMS said that he wanted Babylon 5 to do for science fiction what Hill Street Blues did for cop shows, and as far as that goes, yes, I see that comparison, but the whole "Babylon 5 is really Londo's story" just escapes me. It seems to me to be more about the esemble as a whole than any one character in particular.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote