RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 437
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 9 2014, 06:03 PM   #301
Forbin
Admiral

Re: So I started watching "Babylon 5" for the first time.

NM
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 08:38 PM   #302
JoeD80
Captain

Reverend wrote: View Post
Come to think of it, Lennier could fly when he was pretty much fresh out of the monestary, so clearly this is considered a required skill. Odd though in a way. You'd think it'd be something mostly left up to the worker and warrior castes.
Certainly part of the warrior/religious rift. The warriors didn't believe in the shadow threat so the religious caste had to start the work on the White Stars.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 10:56 PM   #303
Technobuilder
Commodore

Marsden wrote: View Post
I agree, she was the worst actress in the whole five years, plus movies and Crusade! Vanna White bad. Reading off of the script the first time seeing it bad.
I don't recall which girl you're referring to or the character in question. Little help?
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 12:24 AM   #304
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
I think they're referring to Alisa Beldon, the telepath girl Ivanova tried to save from the PsiCorp, while Talia tried to recruit her.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 06:19 AM   #305
Technobuilder
Commodore

shivkala wrote: View Post
^
I think they're referring to Alisa Beldon, the telepath girl Ivanova tried to save from the PsiCorp, while Talia tried to recruit her.
Ah... Now I remember her. Thanks
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Old June 10 2014, 12:27 PM   #306
Jan
Commodore

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
^
Oh, I dunno. I think that the actress who played Lianna Kemmer in 'Survivors' was much worse.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 08:03 PM   #307
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
^
Oh, I dunno. I think that the actress who played Lianna Kemmer in 'Survivors' was much worse.

Jan
Credit where it's due; at least she *tried* to act the part!

The only way I can conceive that other girl made it past the casting director is if she was the niece of some studio exec or something. It wasn't as if she just didn't engage with the material either, she's bad in other stuff too.

Last edited by Reverend; June 10 2014 at 08:18 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 10:53 PM   #308
shivkala
Rear Admiral

B5 did have the philosophy of "No Cute Kids, No Cute Robots. Ever!". Alisa Beldon might have been the exception that proved that rule.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old June 11 2014, 01:36 AM   #309
Reverend
Rear Admiral

To be fair I'm pretty sure that rule was only meant to apply to the main cast, not guest characters. Also, she wasn't exactly a kid and there were two or three other appearances of teenagers and at least two actual children over the course of the show. Most of which were OK.

As for robots...does the rebooted Harlan Ellison AI count? If not then I think there was an intention at some point to do a sequel to 'Devil with a Glass Hand', with that character showing up on the station, still on his mission. Not sure how serious JMS ever was about that though. It could have just been him teasing Ellison.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 01:52 AM   #310
stonester1
Rear Admiral

I always love it when new fans discover Bab5. I saw the pilot originally when it had the Stewart Copeland soundtrack and they tried to make Delen's voice sound more androgynous. I knew from the jump a much bigger, more wondrous universe lay in wait there and hoped beyond hope we would get to see more.

It was awhile before the series kicked off, but lordy, it was a ride.

And yes, check out Crusade, the films, even The Lost Tales and Legend of the Rangers. If you are a REALLY big fan of that 'verse, you will find they all add something to it. Odds are, they will offer something that will also appeal to you.

Decide for yourself.
Old June 12 2014, 03:33 AM   #311
shivkala
Rear Admiral

And remember...you will never be as cool as a Ranger riding in a convertible with a Minbari on a cellphone:
Old June 13 2014, 03:15 AM   #312
jclark14
Ensign

!!

Yes, that *is* cool....
jclark14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2014, 09:39 AM   #313
Technobuilder
Commodore

"We live for The One, we drive for The One."
Old June 13 2014, 10:08 AM   #314
Gov Kodos
Admiral

And remember...you will never be as cool as a Ranger riding in a convertible with a Minbari on a cellphone:
"We live for The One, we drive for The One."
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 01:18 PM   #315
Technobuilder
Commodore

Tip your waitstaff.