Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 30 2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Madkoifish
Lieutenant

View Madkoifish's Twitter Profile
-= The Project =-

This project is to update and refresh some old models I started to convert to Mental ray and move to a new max version. After finding a lot of errors that would require a lot of rebuilding I decided to just redo the ships. I also plan to align a few other older models to the same design style as well and also finish a few others off.

First some images of the old versions.

Plan is to include the variants as well as make a few more.

The WIP as it sits now

Madkoifish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: -= The Project =-

Awesome Designs
Old August 30 2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Nice work. Can't wait to see more.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Albertese
Commodore

Yeah, I really like those.

--Alex
Old August 30 2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

Hey-a Madkoifish I've seen your work on the inter-webs before.

I'm liking the WIP's. If you are using mental ray, are you using the "mia shaders" or are you using the standard one's?

Also if you want any advice on Mental Ray, let me know. It was the main render I normally used for the last 2.5 years along with V-Ray. So any questions don't be afraid to shoot them over.
Cjohnson1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 01:38 AM   #6
Madkoifish
Lieutenant

If you mean arch design yeah I am. I think mia was the old designation until 2008/9?, I forget. Been on MR for Id say the last 5years or so as the lethe here was one of the LAST scanline projects I did. I was sick and tired of faking everything and dealing with layer upon layer of foolery to get fake effects. I have noticed scanline has improved some as it will bounce light with the right settings in 2013, but it is still to yuck for me and it appears it is still single threaded and does not make use of the 64bit ram address. Not to mention rendering out in it does not match up to anything I do on MR nor can I render those ships in MR without it looking like shaved zitty dog butt.

ATM I am using a add on (render optimizer by leao and hartman) for MR to push extras you often have to script into mental ray to get the features. It is mostly cause I can get the look I want without the huge render times as I hate waiting for renders. 5min+ taxes my patience. With it I get a few ao errors but renders of 8min are about 4~5 min with it. has options for importation irradaince, AO global, and FG cheats or fixes. A mess of things for architectural crap that is not useful for space crap. ATM most of my renders are a bit flat as there is no real environ map or anything for the ship besides itself to play with. I often have a fake gradient in my backgroundswitcher/chrome ball but it was lost somewhere and I have been too lazy to restore it.

anyhow I will post my set up at some point when I get to editing all the menus and maybe we can compare notes or something. I am always aiming for that bounced light thing the sublte highlights and all that surfacing crap. I do have to admit my TMP hull effect is going wrong atm due to using the above mentioned add on. It dulls lum mats but highlights those pearl effects. Something I have to tune once I finish the model.

Last edited by Madkoifish; August 31 2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old August 31 2014, 04:32 AM   #7
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Great work!!! I really love the ships and how well they are thought out.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2014, 03:05 AM   #8
Madkoifish
Lieutenant

UPDATE, those nipple things. As I render this I am thinking of moving elsewhere as I am a bit sick of nacelles right now. I might go drastic and move to that marklin class project, but likely I will just go work on something else on this model. Like maybe the shuttle bay.

Old September 1 2014, 07:31 AM   #9
Madkoifish
Lieutenant

Shuttle bay

Roughed out cargo bay. Even an airlock leading to the exterior. I do not plan to model anything past this receiving room. It is only big enough for a single shuttle so they would have to be stowed in the aft bay or a lower deck, no long term storage here.

I will be adding upper obs rooms and some sort of interior control room solution. I have yet to decide what type of markings to use on the floor and walls. The exterior I will be adding railings and grips for that hatchway. And no that shuttle dopes not belong with this era, I just have not tos or pretos shuttles modeled up. Guess I will have to correct that as I have more TOS like ships than anything as complete models.

Do not expect anything fancy here as I really have no plans to ever use a shuttle bay on these models but dunno bad habit of modeling these sort of crap into my models.

Last edited by Madkoifish; September 1 2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old September 4 2014, 01:02 AM   #10
1701TPA
Lieutenant

Outstanding design work
... as always : )
1701TPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2014, 05:10 AM   #11
Madkoifish
Lieutenant

Bit of a side track

Old September 5 2014, 10:42 AM   #12
Madkoifish
Lieutenant

Bits moved about and some stuff added and a lot pulled off and redone. oops. heh
Old September 5 2014, 12:28 PM   #13
drt
Commander

I like your fusion of original and Kelvin nacelles. Very cool.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2014, 07:11 PM   #14
Madkoifish
Lieutenant

Thanks

Old September 5 2014, 10:10 PM   #15
JES
Captain

Madkoifish, I've been a HUGE fan of your work, even since I first saw them, and has been a large inspiration for me to one day get into 3D modeling one of these days, and to post my sketches and drawings in the meantime. It is a huge shame that it appears that a large portion of your past work seems to have disappeared, because everything that you do is fantastic. Not only your modeling skills, but also your attention to detail, is truly remarkable.

So you can imagine my surprise and excitement when I saw your username as the poster for this thread.
Once again, all of your work is fantastic, and every image and render eye candy.

I've had a bit of a conversation with myself however, and have decided that Acheron and Phlegethon DEFINITELY do not look like they belong to the Potamos class like the Lethe. Yes, they share the same components, but then, so do the Longbow, Constitution, and Decatur, but make them the same class, that most certainly does not, and they have a more similar configuration than the Lethe, Acheron, and Phlegethon (the latter of which looks more like a Surya or Miranda class Frigate-albeit that the nacelles are above instead).
You can come up with the class names if you want, or just assume that the Acheron and Phlegethon are one-offs. For now, that is what I've pretty much have done.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing more of your work here, and as a fellow artist and designer, I welcome you heartily to TrekBBS!
JES is offline   Reply With Quote