To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 13 2014, 01:01 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Missed opportunities to revisit old characters

alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Why would it have been T'Pau, though? T'Pau wasn't a high priestess, she was a matriarch in Spock's clan and, judging from the dialogue, a prominent figure in Vulcan politics. T'Lar was more of a spiritual leader or mystic. You wouldn't expect Bill Clinton to perform an exorcism.
But that was the point of her character, IIRC. Kirk and McCoy didn't expect T'Pau to officiate at the Pon Farr, either, but she did.
They didn't expect her because of her political importance. Being important is not the same thing as being qualified to perform an extremely advanced telepathic procedure.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 07:16 AM   #17
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Grant wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Not a character from the original show, but I definitely think TUC would have been more shocking if Valeris had actually been Saavik.
Wow, where did you come up with that idea?
I don't think RoJoHen came up with it... it was one of the early ideas for TUC. There's some write-up about it at Memory Alpha here. (Although I'm really glad they didn't go with that Kirk-Saavik baby idea. )
Old May 13 2014, 08:06 AM   #18
HIjol
Captain

^Why would it have been T'Pau, though? T'Pau wasn't a high priestess, she was a matriarch in Spock's clan and, judging from the dialogue, a prominent figure in Vulcan politics. T'Lar was more of a spiritual leader or mystic. You wouldn't expect Bill Clinton to perform an exorcism.

I would pay Large Latinum to watch Bill Clinton perform an exorcism...

I think it would have been cool for them to try to get Lloyd back...maybe he would say ghobe', but one never knows...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 05:09 PM   #19
Grant
Fleet Captain

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
Borjis wrote: View Post
I always thought that McCoy should have been trying to get to Genesis by hiring Mudd to take him there instead of the stupid big-eared alien.

His only purpose was to talk backwards ala' Yoda.

"Genesis allowed in NOT!"

Get it? hardy har har.
That scene always cracks me up, but would've also been great to have Roger back in the role of Mudd.
It would have been a poignant sendoff for both character and actor as well, as he died later that year.
Actually Carmel died in 1986, but he had only been doing voice-over work since 1982. TSFS shot in late 1983.

I don't know if there was a reason he didn't do any on-screen work after 1982---perhaps his weight got out of control or other health matters.

Even if he couldn't have done onscreen work it might have been a laugh if just as McCoy sits down with the alien his communicator beeps and Harry's voice comes on and says,

"Dr. McCoy do you still need to hire a ship?" and McCoy replies

"Too late Mudd, I've found another pilot."

It's funny I can't stand Mudd's Women OR I, Mudd, but I love Harry/Carmel.

Wish he had gotten a send off as he was the ONLY non Starfleet recurring character in live action TOS.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 05:36 PM   #20
Armored Saint
Captain

You wouldn't expect Bill Clinton to perform an exorcism.
Damn!

I always thought that McCoy should have been trying to get to Genesis by hiring Mudd to take him there instead of the stupid big-eared alien.
McCoy used to trust more a big-eared alien than Mudd. :P
Not to mention that it would've gotten repetitive if too many of the movies were built around characters that had past baggage with the leads based on events from TOS. If they'd brought back Kor or Koloth instead of using Kruge, that would've been two movies in a row about Kirk fighting someone who had an old grudge against him. Just as well they didn't, then.
I also supposed it would too hermetic with people not so familiar with TOS. TWOK was about aging Kirk and co., so it's normal to bring an old adversary, but after that it would have been "Nah, forget that new Star Trek movie, it's again with a villain from an episode I didn't see". Rand or Kyle presence was enough to please the fans without destabilizing the others.

At least Koloth and Kor returned in the first DC comics serie.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2014, 02:55 AM   #21
austen_pierce
Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Most of the good characters I'm thinking of didn't survive their TOS appearances (Roc, Romulan Balance of Terror Commander)

Agree with Female Romulan Commander from The Enterprise Incident
By Roc, do you mean the What are Little Girls Made of android, or something I'm forgetting? If the former, then a bit of plot-pointing could have explained it, though I think the actor was already departed by then.
Yes. I just rewatched that ep the other day and I felt there was room for more character development there.
Old May 14 2014, 04:47 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

The android in "Little Girls" was Ruk.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2014, 12:05 AM   #23
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
Borjis wrote: View Post

That scene always cracks me up, but would've also been great to have Roger back in the role of Mudd.
It would have been a poignant sendoff for both character and actor as well, as he died later that year.
Actually Carmel died in 1986, but he had only been doing voice-over work since 1982. TSFS shot in late 1983.

I don't know if there was a reason he didn't do any on-screen work after 1982---perhaps his weight got out of control or other health matters.

Even if he couldn't have done onscreen work it might have been a laugh if just as McCoy sits down with the alien his communicator beeps and Harry's voice comes on and says,

"Dr. McCoy do you still need to hire a ship?" and McCoy replies

"Too late Mudd, I've found another pilot."

It's funny I can't stand Mudd's Women OR I, Mudd, but I love Harry/Carmel.

Wish he had gotten a send off as he was the ONLY non Starfleet recurring character in live action TOS.
You are correct, sir, I was thinking about the one time I met him at a con. You may be right about weight/health issues. He was such a large man, who carried it well, though he had obviously gained some in the intervening years.

My comment about it being a poignant sendoff stands, though.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 12:22 AM   #24
Marlonius
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wish they could've given Lt. Leslie a cameo like they did with Lt. Kyle in TWoK.
Marlonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 01:34 AM   #25
diankra
Commodore

That's why I was asking, seemed the closest match!

On the whole, I'd sooner leave Ruk alone... far more interesting as the last remnant of some lost alien race, amoral in a sense, but just because 'our' current day concerns are of no interest to him, than turn him into a major character in a major movie where he'd have to be either villain or ally.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 05:14 PM   #26
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

In TWOK, there was (at least initially) some thought of hiring Madlyn Rhue to play Marla McGivers again, but her health problems would have made appearing in the movie difficult to impossible.

HIjol wrote: View Post
You wouldn't expect Bill Clinton to perform an exorcism.
I would pay Large Latinum to watch Bill Clinton perform an exorcism...
If the end result was his wife in the oval office? I think he'd do it.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 07:44 PM   #27
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

In re: bringing back Madlyn Rhue to reprise Marla McGivers;

They called her and offered her the role. She turned it down, citing her health problems as the reason why. At that time, she was embarrassed at how big an impact they had on her mobility, and didn't work as an actress for a long time, until she finally decided to accept it, and move on to taking the roles she could play with her disability. Rumor has it they offered to write Marla's death scene so she wouldn't have to move around, but she still said no.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 07:56 PM   #28
trevanian
Rear Admiral

His only purpose was to talk backwards ala' Yoda.

"Genesis allowed in NOT!"

Get it? hardy har har.
The actor Nimoy hired was terrific (maybe the only thing I like about his 'direction' for SFS), and works better for me than Mudd would have.

I always ALWAYS thought it should have been Kor in TFF. Even the name suggests it, plus you'd figure the Shat would still be high on hiring Canadians.

I've often wondered if that was the idea of the original writers on TUC,where they wanted Kirk & McCoy to run into various characters in prison that they knew from the series.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 08:00 PM   #29
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Not a character from the original show, but I definitely think TUC would have been more shocking if Valeris had actually been Saavik.
Wow, where did you come up with that idea?
I don't think RoJoHen came up with it... it was one of the early ideas for TUC. There's some write-up about it at Memory Alpha here. (Although I'm really glad they didn't go with that Kirk-Saavik baby idea. )
The Kirk Saavik baby idea is rough, but is it any worse than the Spock Saavik one that Bennett tried to get in and Nimoy aborted?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 02:52 AM   #30
austen_pierce
Captain

Rats