MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 11 2014, 12:20 AM   #16
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: Did Roddenberry Really Write "The Cage"?

Does anybody know what Sam Peeples was up to during the time when CAGE was first being outlined/drafted? His IMDB,which shows him immensely prolific in 60-61 and showrunning in 62, is oddly thin for the next couple of years (NO credits for 1963, though some of that time was probably spent writing a 1964 feature, but I can't imagine ADVANCE TO THE REAR took all that long to write ... and nothing else for 64 besides that movie.)

Art Wallace and Paul Schneider both worked on THE LIEUTENANT, GR obviously liked them both, and the A:E association with Wallace indicates some kind of connection, plus the guy had SF credits on both sides of TOS, dating back to Tom Corbett and ahead to Planet of the Apes & SPACE 1999.

I've read that TMOST outline for THE CAGE but never seen a script. Is there anything personalized or unique about it in the way it is written that would point in some direction other than GR? Then again, any particular like that might be obliterated via GR's rewrite, so I guess it is pointless to go that way with this.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 12:49 AM   #17
albion432
Lieutenant

trevanian wrote: View Post
Does anybody know what Sam Peeples was up to during the time when CAGE was first being outlined/drafted?
Well, according to These Are The Voyages Vol.1 pg 35, as of May, 1964 he was helping Roddenberry flesh out his Star Trek concept.
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 12:50 AM   #18
albion432
Lieutenant

Harvey wrote: View Post
Possible, of course, but highly unlikely. What shred of evidence exists to support Solow's assertion?
I've done some digging, and I can't seem to find anything to support Solow on this.
albion432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 01:44 AM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

Peeples' IMDB profile is pretty bare from 1973 to 1977, too, but I don't think he wrote Star Wars.

The whole idea doesn't wash. Why would a professional writer work without credit or compensation? And why would he stay quiet about it except in conversation to a studio executive?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:35 AM   #20
CrazyMatt
Commander

The whole idea makes no sense.
Old May 11 2014, 03:12 AM   #21
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

In his May 27, 1965 first draft of WNMHGB Peeples refers to Spock as red-hued as in Roddenberry's original notes for the Trek characters. Surely, if Peeples had written THE CAGE (or even seen it), he would have known that the red-hued Martian of the early material had evolved into a rather sallow fellow.

I would think...

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm

Last edited by Sir Rhosis; May 11 2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: date
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:32 AM   #22
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Peeples' IMDB profile is pretty bare from 1973 to 1977, too, but I don't think he wrote Star Wars.

The whole idea doesn't wash. Why would a professional writer work without credit or compensation? And why would he stay quiet about it except in conversation to a studio executive?
I'm going off memory here, but in some book like STAR TREK INTERVIEWS (or the unauthorized Ed Gross interview book) didn't Peeples mention contributing a bunch of big ideas without asking for credit? That's not the same as doing a draft, but this whole Solo thing does have me wondering. There is nothing to gain by making up a phantom screenwriter (at last we shall reveal ourselves to the trekkies!), it isn't like the royalties are going to get redistributed, any more than David Gerrold is going to get REAL money as cocreator that he maybe should have gotten for TNG.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:59 AM   #23
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Ghost writing was nothing new in the 1960ies. Personally, I'd trust Solo's recollection way more than Gene Roddenberry's as Roddenberry LOVED to claim others contribution as 'his' as time went on. Again Solo came across as very credible in the video interview.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 04:18 PM   #24
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

I think the problem is that the script is too good. A lot of Roddenberry's writing up to them was (by his own admission) churn and burn stuff for second-rate series like "Highway Patrol". (As Truman Capote said "That's not writing, that's typing!) However "Paladin" was and is much more highly regarded. I think it's easy to suspect that someone you dislike personally and professionally might have cheated to turn out a script that I think everyone agrees was quite good. I think it's more reasonable to think that Roddenberry spent extra time and effort on a pet project and was able to produce something other than time-filling dreck. I also agree that he seems to have been in his element as a re-writer. I think a lot of the problems with the third season would have been avoided if he and the original re-write team had been in place.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:20 PM   #25
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
I was just watching the Archive of American Television interview with Herbert F. Solow who was Desliu's "executive in charge of production" for Star Trek and several other shows.

In it, he is discussing the original Trek pilot, "The Cage," and he says that he has his doubts that Roddenberry actually wrote it. He said he suspects that the majority of it was written by another writer, now deceased, who is a friend of Solow's and who had said things in the past that might indicate that, but would never come out and say it.

So what do you all think? Did Roddenberry actually write "The Cage"? If not, any ideas on who this writer is that Solow says actually did most of the work?
of course.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:50 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
I think the problem is that the script is too good. A lot of Roddenberry's writing up to them was (by his own admission) churn and burn stuff for second-rate series like "Highway Patrol". (As Truman Capote said "That's not writing, that's typing!) However "Paladin" was and is much more highly regarded. I think it's easy to suspect that someone you dislike personally and professionally might have cheated to turn out a script that I think everyone agrees was quite good. I think it's more reasonable to think that Roddenberry spent extra time and effort on a pet project and was able to produce something other than time-filling dreck.
That sounds reasonable, if a little harshly phrased. Sometimes a writer can do much better on a personally inspiring project than on everyday bill-paying work. For instance, most of Glen A. Larson's body of work is extremely schlocky, but his pilot script for Battlestar Galactica and some of his other episodes for same are pretty imaginative and relatively good, at least by his very low standards. Which is not to suggest that Roddenberry's typical level was anywhere near as low as Larson's, though -- just to give an example of a passion project that transcended the writer's normal level.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 06:16 PM   #27
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Weekly shows are extremely hungry beasts and have to be fed on time. People who can grind out usable scripts under that kind of pressure are quite valuable. I"m sure there aren't many of them and the subset of those who can turn out consistently high-quality work under those conditions is smaller still. All that said I don't see any reason other than personal animus to support the theory that Roddenberry didn't write the script. As far as the harshness of the phrasing, I"m not of the opinion that Roddenberry was a talentless hack that some people have, I was just trying to reflect on the mindset of someone who does think that and why they might think that he didn't write it. Script writing is hard and anyone who can do it at whatever level on a weekly basis, is I think worthy of a certain amount of respect regardless of whether their work reaches somebody's else's idea of quality.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 05:10 AM   #28
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
That sounds reasonable, if a little harshly phrased. Sometimes a writer can do much better on a personally inspiring project than on everyday bill-paying work. For instance, most of Glen A. Larson's body of work is extremely schlocky, but his pilot script for Battlestar Galactica and some of his other episodes for same are pretty imaginative and relatively good, at least by his very low standards. Which is not to suggest that Roddenberry's typical level was anywhere near as low as Larson's, though -- just to give an example of a passion project that transcended the writer's normal level.

Speaking of harsh, "...his very low standards"?! Glen Larson is a lot better than you give him credit for. His writing for the pilot movies of Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers was arguably better than GR's script for "The Cage." Some episodes that followed were caca, but it wasn't about Larson having low standards; it was more that series TV can be a fast-paced sausage factory where the time to write things exquisitely just doesn't exist.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 05:16 AM   #29
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Roddenberry knew his comfort zone
... and dared not deviate from it.
Old May 12 2014, 01:43 PM   #30
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

For 50 years Roddenberry was the uncontested author of The Cage. One exec with a failing memory, no documentation and an ax to grind "has suspicions?"

Pass.

Next.

Last edited by ssosmcin; May 12 2014 at 01:59 PM.
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote