TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 13 2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Jax
Admiral

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Honestly I can't see how any team can win this other than Brazil. Not necessarily because they are the best team (although they very well might be), but because it would be a national tragedy if they don't. And if everything else fails, the refs will help them.

Otherwise, I don't really care. I'm conflicted on whether I want Spain to win again - on one hand I don't like their style, on the other hand they are a historically great team imo, and winning yet again would emphasise that status that I think they deserve.

Germany winning would suck, but luckily I don't see that as likely anyway. Belgium would be fun, or maybe someone like Colombia.
Looking at the odds I'm tempted to put a little bit of money on Bosnia. How amazing would that be?
My money is on Brazil despite this side lacking flair of previous winners but home advantage and seeing how they picked Spain apart last summer not too mention unlike Barcelona they know how to play Neymar = Victory IMO. I dislike Spain as they went from a sharp attacking hammer in Euro 2008 to a BORING BORING pass around causing defences n fans to fall into coma's before they scored. The fall of Bayern and Barca this season (2 for Barca) prove their style of football is easily defeated by true attack minded teams.

Belgium having a good run would be nice as would Ghana again like 4 years ago.
Old May 18 2014, 10:50 AM   #17
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

It's been rather comical to see / hear the football ignorant elements of the media here - in other words, most of the media here - claim that we're in the "group of death". Frankly, I'd imagine only professionalism and courtesy would prevent the other countries in our group from regarding their games against us as a gimme. Hell, Spain could probably field their third- or fourth-string side and win in a canter. It was good to see us abandon the infatuation with Dutch managers but we went backwards under Osieck, and the new generation of players has been pretty underwhelming. Tim Cahill might still be good for a goal or two but I'm not sure where any other goals are going to come from.

To say I'm not optimistic about our chances of even drawing a game is putting it mildly. Hopefully we won't be as incredibly abysmal as we were in South Africa but I can't help but think bettering that "effort" is the best we can hope for. I suppose we could hope our opponents take us lightly and stuff up but that's getting into the realms of silliness.

I'd like to see Brazil win the thing but the pressure and expectation of playing at home will take some dealing with. I'm looking forward to seeing some good football, and after all the dramas in the leadup I also hope it's a successful and incident-free event.
Old May 18 2014, 10:10 PM   #18
Jax
Admiral

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
It's been rather comical to see / hear the football ignorant elements of the media here - in other words, most of the media here - claim that we're in the "group of death". Frankly, I'd imagine only professionalism and courtesy would prevent the other countries in our group from regarding their games against us as a gimme. Hell, Spain could probably field their third- or fourth-string side and win in a canter. It was good to see us abandon the infatuation with Dutch managers but we went backwards under Osieck, and the new generation of players has been pretty underwhelming. Tim Cahill might still be good for a goal or two but I'm not sure where any other goals are going to come from.
Its a bastard of a group for the Aussie team especially with recent form to go on so I probably see 3 one sided defeats looking likely. I remember loving watching the team in 2006 when Tim Cahill was in his peak and Gus always like to play attacking football. Pity 2014 is looking like it could be worse than the mix tournament that was 2010 was for you.

On a side note I would love to see the Aussie team play ENG at Wembley, been too long and we have a Sven Goran era 3-1 defeat to avenge
Old May 19 2014, 10:05 AM   #19
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

I reckon even your lot of serial underachievers could beat us now.

The so-called "golden generation" was at their peak in 2006 and I'm not at all bitter all these years later about that craptacular penalty decision in the secound round game against Italy. Not even a little bit.
Old May 19 2014, 06:14 PM   #20
Jax
Admiral

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
I'm not at all bitter all these years later about that craptacular penalty decision in the secound round game against Italy. Not even a little bit.
Don't remind me of that shit...To make it worse Italy went on to win the fucking World Cup
Old May 20 2014, 04:58 PM   #21
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Jax wrote: View Post
Don't remind me of that shit...To make it worse Italy went on to win the fucking World Cup
Don't tell me about this finale

I don't know what France can do this year. That's the problem with them : they can do very well or they can do complete shit (that's what they usually do far from Europe).

At least they have a good looking kit this year, it's already something

No favorite this year, not even Brazil. I would be very entertained if they lose at home like in 1950
Old May 20 2014, 05:04 PM   #22
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Haha, the headbutt. I remember that game very well. Italy had such an asshole squad that year, it was hilarious they won, especially when they crushed Germany's idiotic fucking "Sommermärchen" dreams.

Old May 20 2014, 05:19 PM   #23
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Germany deserved it for everything they've done to football

If Rumenigge can find a way to strangle himself with a pretzel...
Old May 20 2014, 08:41 PM   #24
Jax
Admiral

Speaking of the Germans would love to know from someone who lives in Germany what they think of their team and the current lack of decent strikers. I remember the days of the Klinsman and Biehroff + Klose has a good goal record though alot of them came from AWFUL opponents and inflates his record. Germany seem to over produce players in all positions bar strikers.

Last edited by Jax; May 21 2014 at 01:22 AM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 12:05 AM   #25
Jax
Admiral

Suarez has gone under the knife for knee surgery so looks like he will miss their warm up games and go into the WC not at 100%. Bad for the World Cup but good news for ENG
Old May 25 2014, 05:41 PM   #26
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I know the United States isn't the most exciting of teams, but no comments on the fact that Landon Donovan will not be going?
Old May 25 2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Skywalker
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I know the United States isn't the most exciting of teams, but no comments on the fact that Landon Donovan will not be going?
I'm kind of bummed about it, since he's meant so much to U.S. soccer for a long time now, but to be honest what I have seen of him in recent appearances he does seem to have lost a step or two. I'm glad that Klinsmann isn't putting people on the roster just because of what they've done in the past.

Realistically, though, I don't expect the U.S. to get past the group stage this time. Germany and Portugal? Ugh. And Ghana's no slouch, either.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2014, 06:07 PM   #28
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, they got a really hard group. Although putting Donovan on the roster would probably insulate Klinsmann a little bit. They easily could lose with Donovan, but if they lose now, the question would be "how would they have done with Donovan playing."
Old May 25 2014, 06:14 PM   #29
Skywalker
Admiral

Maybe. But if he did put Donovan on the roster and they still lost, then you'd have people questioning that decision and wondering if Klinsmann should have given that roster spot to someone who might have contributed more. I think Klinsmann's kind of in a tough spot either way.

Although if that scenario did happen, there probably wouldn't be as many of those questions as there will be about how Donovan's presence might have helped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 08:34 PM   #30
EmoBorg
Captain

The official 2014 World Cup song.

We Are One (Ole Ola) [The Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Song]

Shakira released her own 2014 World Cup song.

Shakira - La La La (Brazil 2014) ft. Carlinhos Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySo7-zkprNo
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote