Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 28 2014, 02:33 AM   #16
Dryson
Lieutenant

Re: Interesting Ideas on FTL Travel

8472 wrote: View Post
Some theoretical physicists say that FTL travel could be done through wormholes, which would basically fold space. They also say they would require the energy of entire stars. I don't really believe in matter as we know it going FTL other than that way. So basically warp drives are just a nice story. And even in ST, warp drives require anti-matter, which is kind of silly.

Then again, cavemen probably made fun of a caveman talking about flying.
Your right, some cavemen probably did make fun of those early cavemen who said that we were not birds and would never fly. If those cavemen listened to other cavemen you know where we would be? We would still be cavemen.

I think that FTL is possible because in a Universe the defining gravitational factors that define light speed are a sun and a blackhole. Outside the influence of these solar objects a particle could travel faster than the speed of light because there would not be any gravity to create a pull on the craft thus creating more mass and the expenditure of more energy.

The process of FTL resides somewhere in the Higgs-Boson where the particle is thought to assist in the process of adding Higgs-Boson to particles passing through it where each particle then interacts with gravity thus giving the particle its atomic mass.

If the Higgs Process could be created artificially where it could remove the mass adding particles then when a ship travels close to the speed of light and faster the particles would not retain any mass allowing the ship to travel faster than the speed of light. When the ship was needed to be slowed down the Higgs would be slowly added back to the particles to give the particle mass thus slowing the ship.
Dryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 02:58 AM   #17
Metryq
Captain

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old May 28 2014, 07:24 PM   #18
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Dryson wrote: View Post
I think that FTL is possible because in a Universe the defining gravitational factors that define light speed are a sun and a blackhole. Outside the influence of these solar objects a particle could travel faster than the speed of light because there would not be any gravity to create a pull on the craft thus creating more mass and the expenditure of more energy.
I don't know where I got the idea that this forum was supposed to be about science.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 08:16 PM   #19
Metryq
Captain

scotthm wrote: View Post
I don't know where I got the idea that this forum was supposed to be about science.
Yeah, what he said.

Old June 1 2014, 09:18 PM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

The best bet is to build very large worldships--moving Bernal Spheres and hope for the best. Slower than light--but that is no issue.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 12:54 AM   #21
Dryson
Lieutenant

Metryq wrote: View Post
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Semantics and nothing more.

If you take away the obvious which in this case is that a Sun and Blackhole both produce gravity that effects the velocity of light speed and actually creates mass then when both have been countered and there is no gravity then faster than the speed of light is possible.
Old June 7 2014, 01:10 AM   #22
Metryq
Captain

Semantics and nothing more.
Speaking of which, you cannot even form a coherent sentence, let alone crack the secrets of nature by slapping together random bits of pop science. Light travels faster than the speed of light away from gravity?

Old August 3 2014, 09:50 PM   #23
Dryson
Lieutenant

Quantum Vacuum Virtual Plasma Thruster

Have you ever wondered what a Quantum Vacuum Virtual Plasma thruster is? You might have, and not even realized it. The engine, seen above, is considered a bit of an anomaly. Previously laughed-off as science fiction nonsense, the actual engine has been built by two separate teams, and verified by NASA as legitimately usable.

The engine was initially scoffed at, with top minds saying it violated all known theories of propulsion. The entire scheme violates Newton’s Laws of Motion — which for the jet propulsion crowd — mean an accelerant must fuel a rocket. This engine uses no fuel, and can even be powered by solar energy.
So how does this engine accomplish combustion without fuel? Microwaves bouncing off one another in a controlled environment. The microwaves are generated by electricity, which can be created any way we know how, even via the sun (or a potato). The absence of fuel means the thruster can, in theory, work forever so long as the hardware doesn’t break down.
The engine was first tested by a team of Chinese scientists in 2009, who found it to work. Originally imagined by Roger Shawyer, this EmDrive was recently built by an American scientist named Guido Fetta. Working with NASA, Fetta showed the engine was capable of producing thrust.
While the engine NASA tested doesn’t produce enough thrust to power a rocket to the moon and back, it is much more important. This engine — which works, and has been proven by two separate teams who did not work together — can produce a nearly infinite amount of energy and thrust. Those times you wondered how the crew of the Enterprise got around, pouncing on warp speeds as they saw fit?

http://www.slashgear.com/this-nasa-p...ever-01339521/

Inside of the sun there is a process at work that creates the speed of light velocity if that same process could be duplicated to even provide half the speed of light velocity life would begin to look pretty good for humanity.
Old August 3 2014, 10:10 PM   #24
sojourner
Admiral

Inside of the sun there is a process at work that creates the speed of light velocity
No.
Old August 3 2014, 10:18 PM   #25
Dryson
Lieutenant

Quantum Vacuum Virtual Plasma Thruster

Have you ever wondered what a Quantum Vacuum Virtual Plasma thruster is? You might have, and not even realized it. The engine, seen above, is considered a bit of an anomaly. Previously laughed-off as science fiction nonsense, the actual engine has been built by two separate teams, and verified by NASA as legitimately usable.

The engine was initially scoffed at, with top minds saying it violated all known theories of propulsion. The entire scheme violates Newton’s Laws of Motion — which for the jet propulsion crowd — mean an accelerant must fuel a rocket. This engine uses no fuel, and can even be powered by solar energy.
So how does this engine accomplish combustion without fuel? Microwaves bouncing off one another in a controlled environment. The microwaves are generated by electricity, which can be created any way we know how, even via the sun (or a potato). The absence of fuel means the thruster can, in theory, work forever so long as the hardware doesn’t break down.
The engine was first tested by a team of Chinese scientists in 2009, who found it to work. Originally imagined by Roger Shawyer, this EmDrive was recently built by an American scientist named Guido Fetta. Working with NASA, Fetta showed the engine was capable of producing thrust.
While the engine NASA tested doesn’t produce enough thrust to power a rocket to the moon and back, it is much more important. This engine — which works, and has been proven by two separate teams who did not work together — can produce a nearly infinite amount of energy and thrust. Those times you wondered how the crew of the Enterprise got around, pouncing on warp speeds as they saw fit?

http://www.slashgear.com/this-nasa-p...ever-01339521/

Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thruster Wiki -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum...lasma_thruster

The now electrically charged plasma is then exposed to a crossed electric and magnetic field, inducing a force on the particles of the plasma in the E×B direction, which is orthogonal to the applied fields.

Perhaps the electric and magnetic field grid need to be moved in manner of direction along an axis similar to how the layers of the sun move along an axis of direction.

When a body is at rest, the body being the electric and magnetic field grid, it is only consuming energy. But just like a human body at rest the body still consumes energy while the at rest sections do not produce any other type of energy which a body in motion fully does. Consuming energy at all levels while releasing energy at various levels while in motion but consuming more energy that is released while at rest. So perhaps if the electric and magnetic field grid were made to work and based off of the consumption of energy they consume the grid might actually release more energy because of the interaction of two equally at work bodies in motion.

If you take the palm of your hand and move it back forth in a circular and counter circular motion on the other palm you can feel the heat being generated as your body is using energy. If you do the same motion with both palms you generate more heat while using a lesser amount of energy.

Inside of the sun there is a process at work that creates the speed of light velocity if that same process could be duplicated to even provide half the speed of light velocity life would begin to look pretty good for humanity.

...no one cares what a Cartoon Avatar has to say...
Old August 4 2014, 12:54 AM   #26
Metryq
Captain

...no one cares what a Cartoon Avatar has to say...
Now there's a compelling scientific argument that trumps all evidence.

This allegedly "reactionless" thruster is highly controversial. Like the "Casimir force," the effects of this drive are so nebulous that scientists are not even sure what they are measuring—if they are measuring anything at all. An EE I know would call this "the tailwind spec." Thus, calling this a breakthrough in space propulsion is counting chickens before the eggs are even laid. If funding can be found, something may come of the research, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The cover-up must be a conspiracy by Big Oil to keep everyone here on Earth. /s
Old August 8 2014, 09:58 PM   #27
publiusr
Commodore

A better idea, from a poster here:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2014/08/elo...ble-human.html

"I really think that if you have that 10 gigawatt-year (thermal) reactor, it would make more sense to "take the hit" and turn it to electricity, then using a high-amperage ion accelerator, accelerate caesium or barium or some other I / II column heavy ion down the track, and out the end. Using superconducting microwave resonators (Q > 10⁹), the exhaust Isp could be well over 1,000,000. Quite easily, in fact."

"Now this wouldn't result in much quantitative thrust, but it would result in a lot of kinetic energy and momentum transfer over years of service. Thousands of times more thrust than even nuclear fired reactions such as you've been imagining."

"A sesame-seed's worth of radium, placed on a pinhead, mounted a few inches between a lead plate and an aluminum foil wire grid (quite airy), all three mounted on a block of teflon or glass, with the lead isolated, but the grill electrically attached to the pin, will do the following. The radium will emit a powerful flux of alpha particles."

"The lead plate will temporarily absorb the ones flying its way. They will charge the lead plate positive. With conservation of charge, the radium + grid becomes quite negative. Over time, the lead plate will become so positive that it will deflect the alpha particles flying its way. "

"They'll generally be deflected toward the negative charged grill. Thus, viewed well outside the system, there is a net flux of high-speed alphas heading almost entirely away from the lead plate. Most of the kinetic energy of the spontaneous fission of the radium is converted to kinetic energy without heat loss."

"The amount of thrust is very small, of course. But the efficiency is very high, and the stored fission energy of the radium is maximally utilized. This same reaction can occur for any radionuclide species that emits charged particles. However, ones that generate the heaviest particles will give the best energy-to-monentum transfer."

I think that's the "fission fragment" method, or something like it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission-fragment_rocket

That's great over a long haul, but it is best to kick it out of Earth Moon with a big high energy cryogenic upper stage, to get the best use away from our gravity well.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2014, 07:21 PM   #28
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

sojourner wrote: View Post

Inside of the sun there is a process at work that creates the speed of light velocity
No.
Yup, QI even covered this with stating how mind boggling long it takes for photons created in the suns interior to make it to the outer surface, the Sun works incredibly slowly.
Old August 10 2014, 08:31 PM   #29
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

scotthm wrote: View Post
The only interesting "scientific ideas" that can come out of this thread, or indeed this forum lately, might be new entries to be included in DSM-6.
Old August 11 2014, 08:38 PM   #30
Tim Walker
Lieutenant Commander

Atomic Rocket has a review of FTL drives. Unforetunatedly, I am having trouble posting the link.
Tim Walker is offline   Reply With Quote