Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 9 2014, 04:58 PM   #31
Sketcher
Commander

Re: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

I could see Tommy being in the movie, but in more of a supporting capacity. Think Rhodes in Iron Man 1, where his future as a hero is hinted at, but he's still just a normal guy that happens to help out the superhero.
Sketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 05:34 PM   #32
RoJoHen
Awesome

Sketcher wrote: View Post
I could see Tommy being in the movie, but in more of a supporting capacity. Think Rhodes in Iron Man 1, where his future as a hero is hinted at, but he's still just a normal guy that happens to help out the superhero.
This is what I was thinking. You can definitely introduce Tommy as a supporting character without diving into the Green Ranger story. I think it would be a weird plot for the first movie. You have to bring the team together first!

Then, like Marvel movies, maybe you could have a post-credits scene with Tommy being confronted by Rita to hint at the Green Ranger plot for the sequel.

Movie #1 should be Rita and Goldar.

Last edited by RoJoHen; May 9 2014 at 08:42 PM.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 06:35 PM   #33
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
This is what I was thinking. You can definitely introduce Tommy as a supporting character
Plus it avoids the whole "Oh noes, the guy we just met and have known for like a few days or weeks is the evil ranger! betrayal angst" thing that happened on the show.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 07:30 PM   #34
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
This is what I was thinking. You can definitely introduce Tommy as a supporting character without diving into the Green Ranger story. I think it would be a weird plot for the first movie. You have to bring the team together first!

Then, like Marvel movies, maybe you could have a post-credits scene with Tommy bring confronted by Rita to hint at the Green Ranger plot for the sequel.

Movie #1 should be Rita and Goldar.
That's fine with me. In fact, I agree with it completely. My understanding of what Takeru is saying suggests he would not agree.

Rita, Goldar, and Putties are sufficient, combined with everything else, for a two hour movie.
Old May 9 2014, 10:12 PM   #35
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

If we're going down the road of gritty, more grown-up reboot, we could bring back seven monsters, retool them into frightening grotesqueries, and have them represent the seven deadly sins.

Reboot Pudgy Pig = Gluttony

...for example. After all, Rita's monsters were originally based on myths and legends, hence why there was a Frankenstein, a Sphinx, and a Minotaur.

*crickets*
Old May 13 2014, 12:09 AM   #36
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I can't see a villain named Rita Repulsa, let alone one who whines and is so shrill (if they keep those aspects) going over well. She was a silly joke then, would be more so now.

I remember vividly when they brought Lord Zedd in. He was truly scary. Truly a villain. He made Rita look as silly as she was. Dare I say he was the best villain on any season. Having him from the get-go for the baddie is just a no brainer. Zedd has the potential to be a Darth Vader type bad guy who despite being bad is popular.

As to the green ranger level of involvement, Saban knows full well how popular he was. I doubt they'll forgo his involvement for much of any reason. He's a big draw.

I just hope they go with the right tone. IE, the tone of most Marvel films. I don't think a dark PR film, something like the TDK films in tone, would ever work. But doing the tone of most Marvel films - Avengers for prime example - is spot on. It's something adults can enjoy as well as most kids.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 01:34 AM   #37
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Rita, Goldar, and Putties are sufficient, combined with everything else, for a two hour movie.
Scorpina had better in the movie or they'll be hell to pay. They can leave out Squat and Baboo though.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 02:23 AM   #38
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Ooh, forgot about Scorpina. Yeah, she's great. I would love to see her. Alternatively, though, she first appeared in Green with Evil, iirc, so I could see her being a villain in the second movie, though (my theory being that Tommy needs to become good before the movie ends and team up to defeat something else).
Old May 13 2014, 08:31 AM   #39
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Frontier wrote: View Post
I can't see a villain named Rita Repulsa, let alone one who whines and is so shrill (if they keep those aspects) going over well. She was a silly joke then, would be more so now.

I remember vividly when they brought Lord Zedd in. He was truly scary. Truly a villain. He made Rita look as silly as she was. Dare I say he was the best villain on any season. Having him from the get-go for the baddie is just a no brainer. Zedd has the potential to be a Darth Vader type bad guy who despite being bad is popular.
The problem with Zeed is underneath his sinister appearance, he never got close to beating the rangers. Season 1 Rita had more near successes than Season 2 Zedd. After a while (season 2) Zedd devolved in to the same pitfalls as Rita did.

While by herself Rita had more near successes and formed better plans than Zedd. Rita's monster's nearly beating Rangers:
From Season 1
Minotaur - "Teamwork"
Sphinx - "A Pressing Engagement"
Terror Toad - "Power Ranger Punks"
Knasty Knight - "Happy Birthday Zack"
Green With Evil 5 parter
Frankenstein - "Life's a Masquerade"
Mutitus - "Island of Illusion"
Lokar - "Island of Illusion" + "Doomsday"
Cyclops - "Green Candle"
Hatchasaurus and Cardiatron "Birds of a feather"
Dramole - Return of and Old Friend"
Cyclopsis - "Doomsday"
Commander Crayfish and the Mutant Rangers - "Mighty Morphin Mutants"

In season 2
It was Rita's plan to trap the rangers in the abandoned mansion with a fraction of their powers and pursued by monsters. It was Rita's plan to bring back the Green Ranger powers to counter the White Ranger by making a clone Tommy. Rita was the architect plot for "Best Man For The Job" which netted her control of the Tigerzord.

In Season 3
Rita set in motion the theft of the Falconzord by recruiting Kat and having her steal the Pink Crane coin. This neutralized the Ninja Megazord from being summoned. It also led to Kimberly nearly dying and having to be hospitalized. From an attack from the Tengas.

While Rita and Zedd were a duo in during the tail end of season 2 and all of season 3. Zedd never showed the same level of efficiency and competency that Rita did; independently or allied.

I think of Zedd's closest attempts to beat the Rangers were when he dealt the killing blow to the Green Ranger powers after a tedious arc, and White Light with the Nimrod monster. With regards to the green ranger powers; Rita had already effectively taken them away in season 1. After White Light Zedd sucked at his job hard. Even Sepentera in the 4 episodes (3 of which as a weapon against the rangers) he was used in season 2 were a waste. Always stepping on Tor and or losing power.

Zedd is all show but no pony.

The best villains in my opinion
Rita - MMPR Season 1
Astronema - In Space Season 6
Trakeena - Lost Galaxy Season 7
Ransik - Timeforce Season 9
Mesogog - Dino Thunder Season 12
Grumm - SPD Season 13
Thrax - Operation Overdrive Season 15 (cheating here but Once a Ranger was too good)
Venjix - RPM Season 17

Criteria to judge are menace to the rangers
Execution of strategy and plans
Generals and supporting characters
Did the villains work thematically in their respective season
How close the big bad came to reaching their goals

Last edited by AllStarEntprise; May 13 2014 at 08:45 AM.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2014, 07:57 PM   #40
Frontier
Vice Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
The problem with Zeed is underneath his sinister appearance, he never got close to beating the rangers. Season 1 Rita had more near successes than Season 2 Zedd. After a while (season 2) Zedd devolved in to the same pitfalls as Rita did.
Yeah but this is a reboot. So... yeah. The fact he didn't beat them before means zip.

Zedd as a blank template makes a better choice than any other villain.

Old May 17 2014, 11:09 PM   #41
Aldo
Admiral

Was the character of Rita that shrill in the original Japanese version of the show?
Old May 19 2014, 04:23 AM   #42
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Yeah but this is a reboot. So... yeah. The fact he didn't beat them before means zip.

Zedd as a blank template makes a better choice than any other villain.
Well as a reboot, Rita would be the clear choice for the villain. Rita had the history with Zordon, including a 2000 year war against him. Also Rita is the one who presumably created the green ranger powers, while Zordon created all the dinozords and dragonzord. An evil witch and her army of monsters vs a good wizard and his 6 champions of justice. The poetry of it writes itself.

Aldo wrote: View Post
Was the character of Rita that shrill in the original Japanese version of the show?
Judge for yourself. I will say that she was equally as goofy as her american counterpart.

If you have any nostalgic feelings about Goldar being a super badass. I suggest caution. What you are about to see, may disturb you. lol

Old May 20 2014, 05:35 AM   #43
Frontier
Vice Admiral

Rita Repulsa is just such a lame name and character, though. This is a reboot, so things can be picked and chosen. Passing over that early stuff is a choice that will likely and hopefully be made. Rita and her minions and whatever else - it's lame. It was lame as a kid, it's still lame now.

Old May 20 2014, 06:30 AM   #44
Aldo
Admiral

I didn't mind Rita as a kid (well, I was a teen, but still), she was different than your average villains. Lord Zedd was much closer to what I'd expect a Power Rangers villain to be like.

The only thing that bothered me as a teen was how Rita's lips didn't match what she was saying...but at that age I didn't really understand that Power Rangers was a re-dubbed version of a Japanese show.
Old May 20 2014, 07:13 AM   #45
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Rita Repulsa is just such a lame name and character, though. This is a reboot, so things can be picked and chosen. Passing over that early stuff is a choice that will likely and hopefully be made. Rita and her minions and whatever else - it's lame. It was lame as a kid, it's still lame now.
Goldar is a given. People recognize and love that gold oaf. Hopefully he's the version from season 1 when he was an actual threat to the rangers and not groveling comic relief he was in season 2 and 3.

Finister you can have. He makes the monsters.

Squatt and Baboo can be dumped.

Scorpina? Yes please