RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,375
Posts: 5,504,252
Members: 25,126
Currently online: 468
Newest member: Ted Dave

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 7 2014, 06:34 PM   #1
patweb
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: California
The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

The re-introduction of the Romulans is wrapped in a sub plot involving three 20th century humans found aboard a spacecraft near The Neutral Zone.

At one point, they awaken Claire Raymond. She states to the crew that she was a homemaker. To which Data replies, A Homemaker? Must be in construction...

Which got me to thinking. In every case of family aboard The Enterprise, both parents worked for Star Fleet. I can't think of any exceptions.

Also, everyone works. EVERYONE (hell they even put Wesley to work, lol).

What is most surprising. Data has all the knowledge of Star Fleet, can quote people and places far in the past, but was unknowledgeable of the role of a homemaker.

They also go on about how nobody wants for nothing in the 24th century, and everyone pursues their own goals to make humanity better. But where are the scholars, the artists, the philosophers?
patweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

Words can fall in to and out of fashion, sure Data may have vast amounts of knowledge but that doesn't mean he knows everything. And a word which might have fallen out of use for three-hundred years might not have been loaded into his memory, or the word had become lost to time.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

"Homemaker" is a pretty out-dated term even in our time. It's unlikely it'll survive to a point in the future where everyone is working and doing things to further humanity and even if there's some who choose to stay home to support and raise the children and house it's unlikely they're called a "homemaker."
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Smellincoffee
Commodore
 
Smellincoffee's Avatar
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

The scholars, artists, and philosophers all seem to be flying Starships.

With the technology they have, what 'housework' remains to be done, other than rearing children? There are no dishes to clean, because replicators vaporize them, and they produce the food. I wouldn't be surprised if children were largely raised by the state in 24th-century Earth, with children sent to nurseries and daycares shortly after birth. Parents would spend their days at work and children at school, presumably. I imagine most families consisted of one child, at least on Earth. In that case, "family" doesn't mean much: do it for a generation or two, and there are no cousins nor siblings for many, so the familial experience is just...sleeping in the same house as your parent(s).
__________________
DS9 CapCon #104: Deck the Corridors!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 06:57 PM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
"Homemaker" is a pretty out-dated term even in our time. It's unlikely it'll survive to a point in the future where everyone is working and doing things to further humanity and even if there's some who choose to stay home to support and raise the children and house it's unlikely they're called a "homemaker."
And isn't it largely a USA term, whereother parts of the English speaking world might use the term Housewife/husband?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 07:51 PM   #6
patweb
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: California
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
The scholars, artists, and philosophers all seem to be flying Starships.

With the technology they have, what 'housework' remains to be done, other than rearing children? There are no dishes to clean, because replicators vaporize them, and they produce the food. I wouldn't be surprised if children were largely raised by the state in 24th-century Earth, with children sent to nurseries and daycares shortly after birth. Parents would spend their days at work and children at school, presumably. I imagine most families consisted of one child, at least on Earth. In that case, "family" doesn't mean much: do it for a generation or two, and there are no cousins nor siblings for many, so the familial experience is just...sleeping in the same house as your parent(s).

EXACTLY!!! Rearing your own children is accomplished in Crèche's aboard ship. Both parents work... therefore 'homemaker' is redundant.
patweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

Data is notorious for being a poor search engine: he's always spending extra seconds trying to understand a colloquialism. Or perhaps he is an excessively good search engine instead? Perhaps he studies and cross-compares the sixty thousand essays written on the meaning and etymology of "homemaker" and makes his own mental notes before saying "Ah. Intriguing. An old Earth term-"...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

Timo wrote: View Post
Data is notorious for being a poor search engine: he's always spending extra seconds trying to understand a colloquialism. Or perhaps he is an excessively good search engine instead? Perhaps he studies and cross-compares the sixty thousand essays written on the meaning and etymology of "homemaker" and makes his own mental notes before saying "Ah. Intriguing. An old Earth term-"...

Timo Saloniemi
I tend to assume the latter, that Data has a fantastic search engine, and just has too many options from which to choose his response.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 09:35 PM   #9
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

Season 1 loooooved to bash 20th century society, and this episode was no exception. Nothing was spared, even the nuclear family. There are no religions (except silly aliens), there are no politics (except silly aliens), there is no economy (except silly aliens), and humans aren't burdened by silly things like grief, ambition, lust, revenge, and subterfuge. The crew was so naive, even Riker expressed bewilderment at the concept of war in one episode. Roddenberry had his sights set on anything remotely interesting. Instead, the crew came off like children.

The banker guy was written as an asshole, the country singer as a buffoon, but the lady? She comes off as sympathetic. I wonder if they actually intended for her to come off as whiny and useless, contrasting against the 'perfect' 24th century person who does not feel grief when a loved one is gone.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 09:42 PM   #10
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral
 
Merry Christmas's Avatar
 
Location: tantalizing t'girl's techno temenos
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

patweb wrote: View Post
The re-introduction of the Romulans is wrapped in a sub plot involving three 20th century humans ...
if anything, the primary story line was the one concerning the 20th century people aboad the Enterprise, with a minor sub plot involving the Romulans.

Data might have had a easier time with housewife or simply wife, when Picard married Miles and Keiko he referred to Keiko as "wife" at the end of the ceremony (iirc).

So that term does persist.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 10:10 PM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

I don't see any of that as heralding the end of the nuclear family.

(Insert 'Family values...UNDER ATTACK' graphic here)

This idea that having two working parents makes you less attached to your family is ridiculous. It's not the state who raises the children, it's much more likely people from your local community and retired family members.

Will there be fewer children per family? Absolutely. But that's a natural consequence of odds of survival being much higher. Again, nothing to do with FAMILY VALUES UNDER ATTACK.

There was a survey that said mothers who worked were more likely to be open to having more children than mothers who stayed at home. You know why? Because when both parents work the man knows he has to pitch in equally to child-rearing, so the mothers who work know their husbands will be there to help. Having two working parents makes families closer together, not farther, because that way both parents are constantly making sacrifices to help each other and neither is only staying with the other out of financial dependency or social obligation like it was for most of the history of mankind.

If anything the 24th century Star Trek world promotes family values. Families are posted together on starships because they think it's more important for families to be near each other than to keep the children farther away from danger.

Where are the scholars, artists, philosophers? On Earth, of course, being inspired by the beautiful clean air of Beijing, and the beautiful safe streets of Central Africa.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:27 AM   #12
patweb
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: California
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

Another observation from that episode is that STARFLEET's FLAGSHIP has a security officer but ZERO actual security. Anyone can manipulate any device they want without even a simple code. Talk about naïve. Demanding a man off the bridge, how did he get there in the first place? Dumb computer and FIRE WORF.



Also, did anyone ACTUALLY RETIRE from Star Fleet?
patweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:32 AM   #13
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

patweb wrote: View Post
Another observation from that episode is that STARFLEET's FLAGSHIP has a security officer but ZERO actual security. Anyone can manipulate any device they want without even a simple code. Talk about naïve. Demanding a man off the bridge, how did he get there in the first place? Dumb computer and FIRE WORF.
As Picard said, "We're all more than capable of controlling ourselves." They don't need security on devices or access to the bridge or other sensitive areas because it's assumed everyone on the ship is capable of knowing where they should and should not be. There are times when we see security placed (or told to be) in sensitive areas or to watch guests but usually this is when untrusted alien visitors are on the ship.

Picard had little reason to restrict the movements of the 20th/21st century humans. He assumed they could behave. By and large he was right considering 2/3s of the group were more than capable of controlling themselves.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:35 AM   #14
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

patweb wrote: View Post
Another observation from that episode is that STARFLEET's FLAGSHIP has a security officer but ZERO actual security. Anyone can manipulate any device they want without even a simple code. Talk about naïve. Demanding a man off the bridge, how did he get there in the first place? Dumb computer and FIRE WORF.
He had just gotten the job too. Isn't there a probation period or something?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:40 AM   #15
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: The Neutral Zone, end of the Family unit?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
As Picard said, "We're all more than capable of controlling ourselves." They don't need security on devices or access to the bridge or other sensitive areas because it's assumed everyone on the ship is capable of knowing where they should and should not be. There are times when we see security placed (or told to be) in sensitive areas or to watch guests but usually this is when untrusted alien visitors are on the ship.
Again, more Roddenberry utopian bullshit. Malice doesn't exist in the 24th century, at least not with humans.

Previously in Lonely Among Us, engineer Singh turns up dead. They immediately rule out any member of the crew as the culprit. Under what basis? Oh right, humans are incapable of murder in the 24th century. But then there are aliens in Starfleet too, so not only are humans perfect, but so is every other species that joins Starfleet too.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.