RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,545
Posts: 5,513,329
Members: 25,144
Currently online: 487
Newest member: ShadowL

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you shower?
Daily 48 71.64%
5-6 times per week 8 11.94%
3-4 times per week 6 8.96%
1-2 times per week 4 5.97%
Less 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 8 2014, 09:05 AM   #46
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: How often do you shower?

Old houses are only great if you have the money to pay for them. Ancient plumbing, ancient roofing, ancient WIRING (gah).. all of these things are a considerable dent on their charms.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 09:09 AM   #47
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: How often do you shower?

Yeah, I like some old houses superficially but wouldn't go out of my way to actually live in one.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 09:19 AM   #48
rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: How often do you shower?

Good point, indeed, teacake. I love my parents' house (it's about 100 years old which is not *that * old by Bavarian standards) but the wiring is quite a nightmare. Some electric lines go diagonally through the walls!

I currently live in a quite old house (early 19th century I believe) but it has been thoroughly modernized. Only the plumbing could be a little better. Still, just in case, I always check for cables, lines and tubes in the wall before I drill a hole.
On the other hand it's so nice to have a solid brick wall which easily holds heavy citchen cupboards instead of a drywall that gets a hole when you poke a cooking ladle at it.
__________________
a hug a day keeps the psachiatrist away
rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 10:01 AM   #49
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral
 
ElimParra's Avatar
 
Re: How often do you shower?

Once a day ... virtually most of the time. Sometimes during summer, I'll have a second shower.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 10:14 AM   #50
Sleigh Ride
Commodore
 
Sleigh Ride's Avatar
 
Location: A Circle Has No End; HIjol
Re: How often do you shower?

scotpens wrote: View Post
B.J. wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
It's like with the laundry: you don't boil all of it every day but wash it at an appropriate temperature, depending on material and dirtiness. You'd boil underwear and sports wear but wash a blouse at a much lower temperature and have a fine and rarely worn silk suit cleaned only once in a while.
Wait, BOIL your clothes?!? I've seriously never heard of this. Everything has always just gone into the washing machine.
A hundred years ago, before modern detergents, people used to boil bedsheets, towels and underwear to sterilize them. Never heard of anyone doing it in this day and age.

HIjol wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
. . . What's next? How often do you brush your teeth?
Yeah, yeah!!!...the Teeth thread
Then, the Ear Cleaning Thread
Next should be the Nose Hair/Boogies Thread
And we will finish up with the Pit Juice/No Pit Juice Thread...
Don't forget the Toe Jam Thread, the Navel Lint Thread and the Smegma Thread . . .
Oh...oh, that's not right....no....
__________________
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 10:16 AM   #51
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: How often do you shower?

Snot is next.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 11:00 AM   #52
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: How often do you shower?

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
oh dear! *blush* I googled it, using "yakuzi" because I was uncertain about the spelling and got lots of pictures, so I thought it was ok. Seems a lot of people have the same prob as me, judging by the tags

teacake wrote: View Post
Oh yeah that's standard in hotels. I've only ever lived in old houses so haven't had such a thing.
Is it in your country? Over here only very few hotels have them. I guess it'll get more, though, considering that we get more and more old people.
I love old houses! They are so much more comfortable and more solidly built. You don't have your picture frames falling off the wall when your neighbour sneezes Modern buildings have such thin walls that you hear really everything. It's such a nuissance.
And old houses have so much flair -they have a character, are individuals. Modern houses are often like factory made, all the same and all equally nondescript. It's a bit like with people: the older you get the more you develop your own characteristics.
Yeah, I've never had the chance to try one, but they look really relaxing.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 04:24 PM   #53
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral
 
Olive, the Other Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: How often do you shower?

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
. . . And old houses have so much flair -they have a character, are individuals. Modern houses are often like factory made, all the same and all equally nondescript. It's a bit like with people: the older you get the more you develop your own characteristics.
But just like people, old houses are full of creaks and groans and everything's a bit off-kilter!

teacake wrote: View Post
Snot is next.
Wouldn't that be consolidated with the Nose Hair/Boogers Thread?
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”

Last edited by Olive, the Other Reindeer; May 9 2014 at 03:32 AM.
Olive, the Other Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 08:43 PM   #54
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral
 
Spot's Meow's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: How often do you shower?

If it was socially acceptable for me to shower less often, I would. I don't like showering everyday. It just feels wrong to me, like it is wasteful and unnecessary and probably better for my skin if I don't. I didn't learn that anywhere, it's certainly not the way my family thinks, it's just something I've always felt since I was a child.

I also don't like them for practical reasons. I really hate being wet and showers make me very sleepy. So, I can't really take them in the morning or else I will be extra tired at work. The warm water makes me want to crawl right back in bed. I take them in the evenings before bed, but then this is annoying because I hate to go to bed with wet hair, and I don't like using a blow dryer.

Basically the whole process is just annoying and I wish I didn't have to do it every day. My mom used to have to literally drag me to the shower or bath. I have often dreamed about living in a culture that did not believe in such excessive bathing.

Now, I hardly sweat at all. In fact I am usually shivering cold when others are hot. It would have to be nearing 100F degrees before I would start to feel sweaty. I also don't noticeably sweat at night, so I don't really get feeling icky in the morning. Actually when I get up in the morning is when my body feels most refreshed and good.

If I was to do a heavy work out, I would shower afterwards. However I don't do this every day or really that often at all, unfortunately.

As for my hair, I definitely don't wash that everyday. I used to and it would get so dry and gross. So now I wash it every 3 days and it's much better quality.
__________________
Time present and time past
are both perhaps present in time future.
And time future contained in time past.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 10:11 PM   #55
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: How often do you shower?

I'm a bathtub fan and do that every day.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 02:18 PM   #56
Bumbles861
Admiral
 
Bumbles861's Avatar
 
Location: bbailey861 in Kingston, ON
Re: How often do you shower?

Usually twice a day. In the morning and after the gym.
Bumbles861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 02:32 PM   #57
Naira
Rear Admiral
 
Naira's Avatar
 
Location: Greece
Re: How often do you shower?

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
If it was socially acceptable for me to shower less often, I would. I don't like showering everyday. It just feels wrong to me, like it is wasteful and unnecessary and probably better for my skin if I don't. I didn't learn that anywhere, it's certainly not the way my family thinks, it's just something I've always felt since I was a child.

I also don't like them for practical reasons. I really hate being wet and showers make me very sleepy. So, I can't really take them in the morning or else I will be extra tired at work. The warm water makes me want to crawl right back in bed. I take them in the evenings before bed, but then this is annoying because I hate to go to bed with wet hair, and I don't like using a blow dryer.

Basically the whole process is just annoying and I wish I didn't have to do it every day. My mom used to have to literally drag me to the shower or bath. I have often dreamed about living in a culture that did not believe in such excessive bathing.

Now, I hardly sweat at all. In fact I am usually shivering cold when others are hot. It would have to be nearing 100F degrees before I would start to feel sweaty. I also don't noticeably sweat at night, so I don't really get feeling icky in the morning. Actually when I get up in the morning is when my body feels most refreshed and good.

If I was to do a heavy work out, I would shower afterwards. However I don't do this every day or really that often at all, unfortunately.

As for my hair, I definitely don't wash that everyday. I used to and it would get so dry and gross. So now I wash it every 3 days and it's much better quality.
So, since you don't get dirty or sweaty, why do you still take a shower every evening? You mentioned it being "socially acceptable", so is it a matter of what other people will say? It's a bit confusing to me because people in the house already know you are clean and people out of the house cannot tell if you showered or not.

I also hate going to bed with wet hair. It is uncomfortable and my hair is a mess when I wake up.
__________________
TBBS Card | "Don't Panic!"
Naira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 05:01 PM   #58
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral
 
Spot's Meow's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: How often do you shower?

Naira wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
If it was socially acceptable for me to shower less often, I would. I don't like showering everyday. It just feels wrong to me, like it is wasteful and unnecessary and probably better for my skin if I don't. I didn't learn that anywhere, it's certainly not the way my family thinks, it's just something I've always felt since I was a child.

I also don't like them for practical reasons. I really hate being wet and showers make me very sleepy. So, I can't really take them in the morning or else I will be extra tired at work. The warm water makes me want to crawl right back in bed. I take them in the evenings before bed, but then this is annoying because I hate to go to bed with wet hair, and I don't like using a blow dryer.

Basically the whole process is just annoying and I wish I didn't have to do it every day. My mom used to have to literally drag me to the shower or bath. I have often dreamed about living in a culture that did not believe in such excessive bathing.

Now, I hardly sweat at all. In fact I am usually shivering cold when others are hot. It would have to be nearing 100F degrees before I would start to feel sweaty. I also don't noticeably sweat at night, so I don't really get feeling icky in the morning. Actually when I get up in the morning is when my body feels most refreshed and good.

If I was to do a heavy work out, I would shower afterwards. However I don't do this every day or really that often at all, unfortunately.

As for my hair, I definitely don't wash that everyday. I used to and it would get so dry and gross. So now I wash it every 3 days and it's much better quality.
So, since you don't get dirty or sweaty, why do you still take a shower every evening? You mentioned it being "socially acceptable", so is it a matter of what other people will say? It's a bit confusing to me because people in the house already know you are clean and people out of the house cannot tell if you showered or not.

I also hate going to bed with wet hair. It is uncomfortable and my hair is a mess when I wake up.
Basically just because not doing so is such a big taboo in this culture. I mean, just look at some of the comments in this thread about how you are basically a disgusting nasty person if you don't shower every single day. As you might have seen in the PJs thread, I usually skip showering on the weekends because I don't really leave the house anyway. I probably shouldn't care so much about whether it's taboo or not, just do what makes me feel most comfortable.
__________________
Time present and time past
are both perhaps present in time future.
And time future contained in time past.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 11:42 PM   #59
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: How often do you shower?

Americans are kind of obsessed with cleanliness I've noticed. Not that they are cleaner in other ways, just that it seems to loom larger as Very Important than in other countries.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 12:55 AM   #60
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: How often do you shower?

teacake wrote: View Post
Americans are kind of obsessed with cleanliness I've noticed. Not that they are cleaner in other ways, just that it seems to loom larger as Very Important than in other countries.
We don't like to stink.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.