Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 10 2014, 08:43 PM   #31
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Classic Mission: Impossible and 1988 Sequel Series...

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Fair enough, then let's say UNCLE fell into the bad camp camp. The ep that made me stop was the same one that Vaughn quotes when disparaging the season. It involved Africa, a cliche jungle girl, a guy in a gorilla suit, and a scene where Napoleon danced the Watusi with the gorilla in a tree house. Probably the lowest low in the series, IMHO.
No, the real low was the episode where Ilya is riding a stink bomb between his legs, trying to stop it from hitting Las Vegas!
For me, one of the show's low points was "The Hot Number Affair," with guest stars Sonny and Cher. Set in New York's garment district, the plot was something about a secret THRUSH code hidden in the pattern on a dress. Cher played a model and Sonny played a dork.
Old May 11 2014, 01:09 AM   #32
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The TB&TB episode "The Mask of Matches Malone!" had a song that was so laden with sexual innuendoes that Cartoon Network refused to air it.

Ah, love walksout the door when money comes innuendo .

Indeed, it's odd to endorse B:TB&TB and dismiss Batman '66 in the same sentence, although TB&TB is a more affectionate tribute while '66 was more mocking.
It's also the only depiction of Aquaman that was in any way cool.
B:TB&TB wasn't half as camp as Batman '66 was, and was more of an adventure that combined the 50's TB&TB book with elements of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited and a little schmaltz; it didn't go full-hog into parody like Batman '66 did. I'd show that (and The Batman) to any kids I had over anything like Batman '66 (and I'd also include Teen Titans, Green Lantern: TAS and Young Justice, as well as Beware The Batman-heck; I'd show them the Nolanverse Batman movies too.)

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; May 11 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 01:21 AM   #33
M
Vice Admiral

Christopher, I'm pretty sure season 2 is on DVD, if you want to go that route.
It is, but I don't have a lot of discretionary income to throw around, and I'm not sure I'll like season 2 enough to want to own it. If I were getting paid to do my blog reviews, that would be another matter, of course, but since it's just for recreation, I'm not that determined.
Christopher, over the years I have enjoyed reading your insightful reviews of the original show so much, that I would love to support your reviewing of the 1988 revival show. If you are willing to PM me your Pay Pal information, it would be my pleasure to send you the money for the second season.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:16 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

I appreciate the offer very much! Just click my homepage link in my signature and there's a PayPal donation button right at the top.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:47 AM   #35
Forbin
Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post

Ah, love walksout the door when money comes innuendo .

I JUST watched Monkey Business tonight. I heard Groucho deliver that line not an hour ago!

Cosmic.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:49 AM   #36
Forbin
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Fair enough, then let's say UNCLE fell into the bad camp camp. The ep that made me stop was the same one that Vaughn quotes when disparaging the season. It involved Africa, a cliche jungle girl, a guy in a gorilla suit, and a scene where Napoleon danced the Watusi with the gorilla in a tree house. Probably the lowest low in the series, IMHO.
No, the real low was the episode where Ilya is riding a stink bomb between his legs, trying to stop it from hitting Las Vegas!
For me, one of the show's low points was "The Hot Number Affair," with guest stars Sonny and Cher. Set in New York's garment district, the plot was something about a secret THRUSH code hidden in the pattern on a dress. Cher played a model and Sonny played a dork.
Oh God yes. And every time they appeared on screen, "The Beat Goes On" came up in the background. Every. Single. Time.

(and for a second there I swore you typed "New York's Garamet district"!)
Old May 11 2014, 04:05 AM   #37
HIjol
Fleet Captain

wwowiewow wow!!!...I have said it before, and I will say it again, it is really cool to be a part of such an interesting and knowledgeable Board...to all of the above, and more. thank you!...I had forgotten more than I had rememebered about Mish and Five Oh...the one thing that I did remember and that still makes me smile, is that Jack Lord could easily have been James T. Kirk...he wanted a piece, and Roddenberry would not give...wonder how that would have gone...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:05 AM   #38
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I couldn't really see Jack Lord as Captain Kirk, not with the level of control he would have wanted over the show. (Lord became a very hands-on executive producer of Five-O following creator Leonard Freeman's death in 1974.) In particular, I can't see Lord, who was 99% of the time the center of Five-O, willingly allowing story focus to be given to a popular second-billed character like Spock.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:51 AM   #39
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
I couldn't really see Jack Lord as Captain Kirk, not with the level of control he would have wanted over the show. (Lord became a very hands-on executive producer of Five-O following creator Leonard Freeman's death in 1974.) In particular, I can't see Lord, who was 99% of the time the center of Five-O, willingly allowing story focus to be given to a popular second-billed character like Spock.
I've lost a ton of respect for Lord over the years due to that kind of prima donna bullshit behavior he pulled, and this article tells why: Jack Lord, Superstar

It was a great thing he never became Captain Kirk, because the dynamics of TOS would have been disrupted beyond what Shatner did, in addition to all of the crap that was going on production-wise on the show.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; May 11 2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old May 11 2014, 06:24 AM   #40
scotpens
Vice Admiral

. . . (and for a second there I swore you typed "New York's Garamet district"!)
I assume you're referring to this character? Never heard of her before.
Old May 11 2014, 10:17 AM   #41
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

The biggest perpetrator of yellowface was Hawaii 5-0. Marc Leonard as a Japanese spy, Ricardo Montalban as a Japanese crime lord, various Italian-America actors as native Hawaiians. They did hire local Hawaiians, and plenty of Asian actors in secondary roles, but (at least in the first few seasons), they usually cast a non-Asian Hollywood actor to play the Asian lead. And some of the eye makeup was downright laughable.
That's the kind of thing that makes younger people (especially younger people of color) not want to watch shows as old as these, and why many younger people of color (Asians in particular) are pissed off at the industry for not having more diversity on TV. This recent video did a humorous take on it:

This is also why the current series, IMHO, is better.

Christopher, the 3rd season of Man From UNCLE made me stop my rewatch for several months. It's roughly the same dramatic quality as the 60s Batman show. It even had similar music by Nelson Riddle himself! pretty much unbearable. Even Robert Vaughn reviled it in the DVD extras. They tried to pull it back and be serious in season 4, with some reasonable results. But it never had the heart season one had.
You watched that crappy season? I warned Christopher about it myself a while back. When I rented the shows from a local store in Toronto, I only saw seasons 1, 2 and 4; I'd read Jon Heitland's book about the show beforehand, and remembered how crappy that season was (and The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.), and so I acted accordingly. I might download the 3rd season episodes from Bittorrent, but that's it (the only good one is the one about a presidential candidate and his wife probably being a THRUSH agent.)
Old May 11 2014, 02:19 PM   #42
Forbin
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
. . . (and for a second there I swore you typed "New York's Garamet district"!)
I assume you're referring to this character? Never heard of her before.
No, I refer to fellow bboard member and Trek author Margaret Wander Bonano, who posts here under to screen name Garamet.
Old May 11 2014, 08:42 PM   #43
M
Vice Admiral

I appreciate the offer very much! Just click my homepage link in my signature and there's a PayPal donation button right at the top.
Thank you. I just used it. I'm looking forward to more M:I reviews from you. Thanks for the hard work!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 09:03 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Thanks so much!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 02:26 PM   #45
Forbin
Admiral

Watched a Girl From UNCLE yesterday just 'cause the thread reminded me. I'm on the first disk of season 2. I wouldn't say it was as bad as Man got in the 3rd season, but it's definitely in the camp camp. Tolerance depends on how much you like looking at Stephanie Powers in groovy 60s fashions. I can take it.