Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 5 2014, 01:05 AM   #1
Sran
Commodore

Kirk's Daily Schedule

I noticed something in The Undiscovered Country that I've never seen before. When Kirk is in his quarters, you can see part of his schedule on the monitor above his desk. It includes notes about when his bridge shift ends and when he's scheduled to eat meals or having mission briefings. I wish we could see the entire schedule to get a more realistic idea of what a captain's day is like when the ship isn't blowing up around him. Later shots of his quarters don't get close enough to show the rest of his day.

--Sran
Old April 5 2014, 01:10 AM   #2
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Re: Kirk's Daily Schedule

There's probably a whole afternoon block where all he does is review department reports.
Old April 5 2014, 01:15 AM   #3
Sran
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
There's probably a whole afternoon block where all he does is review department reports.
Well, I can sort of make out that part of his bridge shift is devoted to helping Scotty supervise some sort of test for the ship's number-two impulse reactor. But you're probably right. Much of his time is probably spent doing paperwork or coordinating with department heads (Spock, Scott, McCoy, etc.). What I'd be interested to know is if he and Spock spend much time on the bridge together. It would seem the best use of ship's personnel to have the captain and first officer work different shifts unless there's some sort of emergency or other reason both need to be on the bridge.

Both spend a lot of time away from the bridge simultaneously in TUC, and Chekov commands the watch in their absence. He's seen sitting in the command chair when Kirk and Spock enter the bridge as Gorkon's battle cruiser approaches.

--Sran
Old April 5 2014, 02:15 AM   #4
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Another thing I never gave any thought to is that picture of David. I could be wrong, but it seems weird to have a black-and-white photograph of him. Also, are those the only clothes David owned? If one were, say, a sales associate at Best Buy, would it be likely they'd pose for a formal picture in their Best Buy outfit? What we see here is the equivalent of a formal picture of a chef while wearing his white poofy hat.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 02:44 AM   #5
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

David Marcus didn't seem to have much of a personal life, like a lot of Star Trek characters.
Old April 5 2014, 02:53 AM   #6
Lance
Commodore

It is interesting to get this kind of glimpse into what starship life is like when the cameras aren't turned on. The practicalities of starship duty are fascinating to us, but sadly I doubt they could drive a plot, which is why when we see the crew(s) they are often in emergency situations where we don't get to see a lot of this kind of minutia.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 03:04 AM   #7
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Another thing I never gave any thought to is that picture of David. I could be wrong, but it seems weird to have a black-and-white photograph of him. Also, are those the only clothes David owned? If one were, say, a sales associate at Best Buy, would it be likely they'd pose for a formal picture in their Best Buy outfit? What we see here is the equivalent of a formal picture of a chef while wearing his white poofy hat.
Aren't he and the rest of the Genesis Project wearing civilian clothes rather than uniforms? The picture could have been one recently taken by Carol.
Old April 5 2014, 03:17 AM   #8
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I don't know, Nerys, it's a good point. But I go back to what Melakon said about these characters having no personal lives. David and Carol, in this case, are presented as 'science, science, science' all the time...which from the point of view of the story works just fine. But it makes it difficult to envision a scene with Carol with a camera, saying to David "Say cheeeeese!".

But didn't David wear the same darned outfit in movies II and III?
Old April 5 2014, 03:46 AM   #9
Sran
Commodore

I wonder if Kirk took that picture. Given his fondness for antiques, maybe he owned an old-fashioned camera and decided to take a photograph of David.

Melakon wrote: View Post
David Marcus didn't seem to have much of a personal life, like a lot of Star Trek characters.
That we know of. While he comes off somewhat socially awkward, we see only a few brief moments of his life, so it's impossible to know what he was really like on a day-to-day basis. I can well imagine Carol not letting him have much of a social life, but that doesn't mean he didn't have friends or interests beyond his work.

Lance wrote: View Post
It is interesting to get this kind of glimpse into what starship life is like when the cameras aren't turned on. The practicalities of starship duty are fascinating to us, but sadly I doubt they could drive a plot, which is why when we see the crew(s) they are often in emergency situations where we don't get to see a lot of this kind of minutia.
Which is kind of a shame. Minutia doesn't make for great story-telling, as you pointed out. But it would give us as fans the chance to learn about what happens on a ship when nothing else is going on. Not everything in Starfleet has to do with ships or planets blowing up, or with alien entities threatening Earth.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Hardly conclusive since Kirk and his friends did the same thing between III and IV.

--Sran
Old April 5 2014, 04:01 AM   #10
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
I wonder if Kirk took that picture. Given his fondness for antiques, maybe he owned an old-fashioned camera and decided to take a photograph of David.
That's a very good explanation, Sran!

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post
Hardly conclusive since Kirk and his friends did the same thing between III and IV.
Very true, and it may point up a difference between living in their time and ours. If we wear the same clothes for days on end, our friends and co-workers are likely to say "Eww!" However in a time of advanced pattern replications and all that stuff, each days' wearing of the "same" outfit might be more like a brand new outfit each time.

Real life parallel: I once read an article in an early 20th century magazine (called Farmer's Wife, I believe) about grooming tips for young ladies. In it, they recommended that girls wash their hair once at least every two weeks!
Old April 5 2014, 05:56 PM   #11
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

I wonder if there's any time set aside on Kirk's schedule for booty calls.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 07:46 PM   #12
trekshark
Lieutenant Commander

being black and white could be due to kirk's fondness for antiques.
trekshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 10:49 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

Could also be that Carol wanted absolutely nothing to do with Jim after the return to Earth, and had wanted absolutely nothing to do with him before the adventure - so the only way Jim could get a photo of David was to lift one from the visual logs, from the brief time David had been aboard the Enterprise. Hence the clothing, and perhaps the b&w is there to compensate for the poor original colors of the surveillance camera material?

Or then b&w is for mourning.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 02:12 AM   #14
Sran
Commodore

I looked at the screen capture again, and there's a pair of reading glasses on Kirk's desk. Those can't be the time-looped glasses that McCoy gave him because they were left in San Francisco in 1986--presumably so that pre-TWOK McCoy could find them and present them to Kirk as a birthday gift.

OTOH, maybe McCoy got the pair of glasses from another location, and the glasses Kirk left in San Francisco stayed there until Kirk could find them again post-2286. What a fascinating DTI novel that would make! Where (when?) the hell are Kirk's glasses?

--Sran
Old April 6 2014, 03:25 AM   #15
drt
Commander

For some reason I never thought Kirk's glasses were actually time-looped, more that he was joking that they could be.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote