Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 6 2014, 09:27 AM   #46
inflatabledalek
Captain

Re: 24: Live Another Day. Discussion Thread. (Spoilers)

Watched it after I got in from my night shift....

Mostly enjoyed it a lot. The show is as silly as it ever was and yes, Jack and Chloe are still the only competent people on the good guys side, but it still had that utter conviction in its silliness that always made it such a tense watch.

Heller doing the Regan senility thing was a surprise, and effectively means we already know from the off how this latest President is going to be doomed.

Jack's silence for most of the first episode (my, Sutherland can glower) and precision planing of his escape were all perfectly done. I liked the subversion of the (well, my) expectation Jack would have been living on the streets alone for the last four years as well, he's actually got-dodgy-friends and tech support.

Also, the reveal he was there to rescue Chloe and then the double reveal he only did it for his own agenda rather than their friendship (as it's an amazing coincidence she would need rescuing from him the same day he needs her help in a complicated plot did Jack actually set her up to get caught in the first place? Or is that too dark, even for him?) were two genuinely surprising twists from a show that can often be quite predictable once you've twigged it was always try to have the least likely thing possible happen in any scene.

By that token, the skanky girlfriend being a trained assassin was really obvious right from the off and kind of dampened the second cliffhanger. The other main flaw was Kate's (and they've used that name before for one of his blonde female potential interests haven't they?) story arc looks like it's going to be exactly the same as Rene's from season 7. Though I will put a fiver on her turning out to be working for the Chinese after all right now.

I was mildly surprised it was set in consecutive hours as I thought they were going to skip every other one, I wonder when the time jumps will come (if they're planning to move the story to America at any point there's a good few hours flight there they can skip).

I wonder if "Head of station" and a character called Tanner were nods at Bond? Though in the case of the former I suppose as Fleming knew his stuff then MI6 could not only divide it's foreign offices up like that but the CIA (which he of course had a hand in helping to set up) might as well.

This could well wind up being the first season of 24 I watch on a week by week basis rather than a big DVD (or blu ray I should say these days) spurt.

All in all, what's not to love about Jack Bauer driving a knackered old Volvo about a run down council estate?
Old May 6 2014, 09:34 AM   #47
FreezeC77
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Squiggy wrote: View Post
I like how the President is riding in a Mercedes limo. Uber American!
In 2018 the American Auto Industry didn't make it though the fiscal cliff very well.
Perhaps in the 24-verse the American auto industry managed to lobby for a huge bail-out and to celebrate that they were at a resort on San Gabriel Island reveling in their opulence with themselves and the lobbyist/firm that made it possible.

They were caught in fall-out radiation and died agnozing deaths.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 10:35 AM   #48
Aragorn
Admiral

Wow, we're only in the first episode and we already have the petty agent who only cares about his job status. It took several episodes in season 4 before Lana Parrilla started whining about her pay raise during the middle of a terrorist attack.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 11:36 AM   #49
Yoda
Rear Admiral

That poor drone pilot, if only more than one person at a time were involved with drone operations, but alas, the guy tagged in, the referee was looking the other way, and he got bashed in the face with a folding chair

And poor Chloe, accidentally clicking Autorun.exe. It's ok, she'll get her mojo back.

Anyway, was I the only one who thought Yvonne Strahovski was there as the recast Bauer daughter for a few minutes?. They called her "Kate" and I was like, oh yeah, "Kate Bauer, works at CTU or something for some reason had a really cool boyfriend that surely every viewer loved".

I really remember so little of the convoluted plot of this show over the years. We had a couple of black presidents that were brothers... uhhhh they might both be dead... or maybe one of them was dead. Uhhh, apparently Jack likes this Heller guy, but I kinda thought he was an asshole at some point... Maybe it was some of the other white presidents that were evil. I've kind of lost track of presidents at this point, I think maybe one was conspiring with Russian terrorists or something... and seems like a vice president was doing some shady shit with a private military contractor at some point. Also nuclear bombs and biothreats. Oh, and somebody hacked the nuke plants at some point. Or maybe that was Die Hard 4? Or maybe both? It's not just me right, without reading a synopsis of the previous seasons it's all just a jumble of nonsense in everyone's brains? Maybe it's still a jumble of nonsense if you read synopses as well.
Old May 6 2014, 11:57 AM   #50
Aragorn
Admiral

"He revoked your weekend pass so obviously you killed him with the drone."

The more things change, the more they stay the same on 24.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 01:26 PM   #51
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
So far its enjoyable.
Whats Jacks Kill count?
You know, I don't think he's killed anyone yet. I got distracted there for a bit so I may have missed something.
Old May 6 2014, 02:16 PM   #52
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Jack certainly has not lost his skills.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 02:22 PM   #53
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Him sitting there in the interrogation room just stolid quiet, and cold outfitted with little bluetooth sensors was just pure Jack.
Old May 6 2014, 02:40 PM   #54
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

When Jack was captured and surrounded by guys with guns at the start of the episode I said, "Jack's got them right where he wants them."
Old May 6 2014, 03:37 PM   #55
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Amazing after all these seasons that the "new CTU" still misdirects all their resources at stopping Bauer when they should be helping him save the world. Don't they ever learn that Jack is always right? lol
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:56 PM   #56
dansigal
Commander

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
So far its enjoyable.
Whats Jacks Kill count?
You know, I don't think he's killed anyone yet. I got distracted there for a bit so I may have missed something.
He def killed some of the heroine dude's henchmen right?
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 09:10 PM   #57
Servo
Rear Admiral

As soon as Eric told Jack he was great back in the day, I knew he was gonna get dropped in the next two minutes. Punk.

Five minutes into episode 1, Jack hasn't spoken a word, but has incapacitated half of East London. Standard.

Decent opener, can't wait for next week.
Old May 7 2014, 05:53 AM   #58
Lead-Nosed Reindeer
LeadHead's First Officer

I really enjoyed the first two episodes. I likes the CIA team and that Hellers days of effectiveness as President are numbered (or in this show, maybe that's hours )

There's no doubt in my mind that they've given themselves a strong start here, I hope the build on it and keep it just as, if not more exciting. I also really hope that Jack and Chloe aren't back to normal with each other for quite some time. For me it's a great opportunity to bring their association full circle, since in season 3, he at one point wanted her fired from CTU.
Old May 7 2014, 08:26 AM   #59
Yoda
Rear Admiral

This 12 hour thing is going to be really limiting for the show though. Usually it's that back-half where they've totally written themselves into corners they can't get out of where the show goes full-retard.
Old May 7 2014, 10:58 AM   #60
Marten
Captain

Where is this base they are talking about? I first thought it was in Britain, but the chinese couldn't possibly complain about that. Did it have a Spanish name? An island somewhere?
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote