Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 19 2014, 07:27 PM   #16
feek61
Captain

Re: Third season episodes that have the quality of the first two seaon

I think "All Our Yesterdays" is a very strong episode and personally rate it as one of the best along with "Tholian Web" "Enterprise Incident" "Day of the Dove" and I have to admit; I LOVE "Wink of an Eye" as well
Old May 19 2014, 07:30 PM   #17
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
I also think Let This Be Your Last Battlefield is waaaaay too pummeled for being obvious. It's SO obvious (white/black for white and black) that it's not even trying to hide it, and because it isn't, it's easy to let it go as an objection and just accept the story. The story is very good, and Frank Gorshin is awesome.
The one thing I always find interesting about "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield" is the fact that BOTH Kirk and Spock still make what I would consider a somewhat racist comment in the context of the episode (the scene is cut for time in most of the syndication packages over the years, and NOT for that reason, because it is somewhat of a throwaway).

There's a scene where Kirk makes the comment to Bael that at some point in Cheron's distant evolutionary past, there MUST have been a time when the race was 'Mono-colored' (IE all one color); and Spock wholeheartedly agrees with Kirk's assessment.

The thing is - without hard anthropological evidence, that's a hell of a 'scientific' statement to make; and honestly fairly racist considering Beal and Loki's current appearance.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 09:14 PM   #18
foxhot
Fleet Captain

The episode's message is well-intentioned and totally even-handed, but the make-up could not look more totally painted on. The exact straight lines separating their colors suggests robots as much as humanoids.

Plus there's Gorshin's Justin Bieberish-style running down the corridor. Otherwise he's generally imposing.
Old May 20 2014, 05:41 AM   #19
Push The Button
Captain

foxhot wrote: View Post
The episode's message is well-intentioned and totally even-handed, but the make-up could not look more totally painted on. The exact straight lines separating their colors suggests robots as much as humanoids.

Plus there's Gorshin's Justin Bieberish-style running down the corridor. Otherwise he's generally imposing.
I love how the ship's self-destruct passwords are still the same 15+ years later in The Search for Spock. That, Uhura's bluetooth earpiece, and the six transporter pads seem to be the only recognizable pieces of the original ship that survived the refit.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 05:45 AM   #20
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

As far as production values are concerned, "Elaan of Troyius" and "Spectre of the Gun" (despite the latter's surrealistic style) are the only episodes that you could drop into the second season without it being noticeable. Maybe "The Paradise Syndrome" as well with all its outdoor photography. Of course, those were the first three episodes produced, so I'm sure more time and care was taken on them. From that point on, the production values, cinematography, lighting and film quality take a nosedive.

Storywise, about half the episodes would fit in well with the second season with a rewrite and/or dialogue polish. Dorothy Fontana's absence is definitely felt in the third season.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Forbin
Admiral

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well so I took the time to rewatch a number of episodes from the 3rd season. Outside of the music recorded for "Elaan of Troyus" and "The Enterprise Incident," most of the third season music was not as vibrant and (to me at least) enjoyable as the music from the first two seasons.
I very much love the music for "Is There in Truth..."
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 06:30 PM   #22
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Bad Atom wrote: View Post
As far as production values are concerned, "Elaan of Troyius" and "Spectre of the Gun" (despite the latter's surrealistic style) are the only episodes that you could drop into the second season without it being noticeable.
Excellent comparison. I'd say you're quite right, especially in SPECTRE's case, but did Uhura and Scotty have their traditional 2nd year hairlines in these eps, or were they high-foreheaded in TROYIUS and BATTLEFIELD too? In Uhura's case, I think she was 2nd-season-haired. But I'm only 75 percent sure about it.
Old May 20 2014, 06:58 PM   #23
Lance
Fleet Captain

Third season episodes that have the quality of the first two seasons
I'd love to see this exact same question asked about TNG. I think the results would be... illuminating.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 07:11 PM   #24
cbspock
Rear Admiral

albion432 wrote: View Post
The third season was definitely not as good as the first two, which were in a class of their own. If the first two seasons weren't so damn good, I think there would be less talk about the quality of the third season. That said, in order to keep the lists short, I'm going to list those episodes I feel weren't up to the quality of the first two seasons. For all the rest, if they had been filmed in the first or second season, with those seasons bigger budgets and longer filming schedules per episode, they would have been just as good as an average episode from either of the first two seasons. Here are my lists of the episodes not up to standard:

Poor Story Quality:
Spock's Brain
And The Children Shall Lead
Is There In Truth No Beauty?
The Mark Of Gideon
Requiem For Methuselah
The Cloud Minders
Turnabout Intruder

Poor Production Quality:
Is There In Truth No Beauty?
Spectre Of The Gun
The Empath
Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
The Mark Of Gideon
The Lights Of Zetar
The Cloud Minders

Most of the episodes I've listed are still fun to watch, even if just for a good laugh! I guess I'm just a sucker for Star Trek!

I like the lists you came up with. Although I think Spock's Brain gets a bad rap. I don't think it's the worst episode, I think that distinction belongs to Alternative Factor and runner up is And The Children Shall Lead.

I think my favorites are almost up to Season 1 or at least end of Season 2 standards.

Enterprise Incident
Tholian Web
Paradise Syndrome
For the World Is Hollow, and I have touched the sky
Elaan of Troyius
Day of the Dove
Let This Be Your Last Battlefield (come on it gave us the classic destruct sequence later used in Trek 3)

Spectre of the Gun - I think they used the budget to good effect.

Way to Eden - and you are HERBERT if you don't like this one We reach?

That Which Survives - is a fun episode
All Our Yesterdays - witch!!!

I would add poor story quality to Plato's Stepchildren. It's just a hard episode to watch with Kirk as a horse.

For whatever reason they also changed some of the soundeffects of the buttons, the lighting wasn't as good, it was just flat. The music also stands out as being different from the first 2 seasons. They also re-recorded some of the s1 and s2 music for season 3 so even the "tracked" music sounded a bit different. Although, I really liked the music in Paradise Syndrome, Is There In Truth, Elaan of Troyius and the Tholian Web.

-Chris
Old May 20 2014, 08:22 PM   #25
AtoZ
Commander

Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well so I took the time to rewatch a number of episodes from the 3rd season. Outside of the music recorded for "Elaan of Troyus" and "The Enterprise Incident," most of the third season music was not as vibrant and (to me at least) enjoyable as the music from the first two seasons.
I absolutely agree, and yet it was still what I would call good.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 03:15 AM   #26
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

AtoZ wrote: View Post
I absolutely agree, and yet it was still what I would call good.
"The Paradise Syndrome" and "The Empath" both had really memorable scores. And the score for "Spock's Brain" is far better than the episode deserves.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 03:49 AM   #27
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I have to disagree there. Sol Kaplan, Gerald Fried, Fred Steiner, and especially George Duning composed some of TOS' best music for third-season episodes. In fact, the quality of the music frequently outshone the scripts and the acting.

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
I also think Let This Be Your Last Battlefield is waaaaay too pummeled for being obvious. It's SO obvious (white/black for white and black) that it's not even trying to hide it, and because it isn't, it's easy to let it go as an objection and just accept the story. The story is very good, and Frank Gorshin is awesome.
What story? Two aliens come aboard the Enterprise and spout clichés about racism, oppression and bigotry for the next 45 minutes. The "almost self-destruct" sequence is one of the cheapest bits of fake suspense ever written for a TOS episode. Did we really think Kirk was going to blow up the ship?
Old May 21 2014, 06:16 AM   #28
Lucky
Commander

All our Yesterdays is the one that immediately comes to mind for me.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 01:12 PM   #29
Forbin
Admiral

I think Frank Gorshin was doing his over-the-top Kirk Douglas impression.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2014, 03:40 PM   #30
mos6507
Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
What story? Two aliens come aboard the Enterprise and spout clichés about racism, oppression and bigotry for the next 45 minutes. The "almost self-destruct" sequence is one of the cheapest bits of fake suspense ever written for a TOS episode. Did we really think Kirk was going to blow up the ship?
I think you're arguing against the deliberate theatrical writing style of Trek. That's just how the show was, more about ideas than action. Very few episodes had wall-to-wall action in a modern sense. Balance of Terror is the only one that immediately comes to mind.