The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 4 2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Technobuilder
Commodore

So what's Vic Fontaine up to these days?

With the Destruction of DS9 (Terok Nor) and the rebuilding of the new DS9 (Federation Starbase)... What is the status of our favorite "holographic Headliner" Mr. Vic Fontaine?

Was Julian/Quark able to salvage his program? I honestly can't recall much mention of him but I figure he's too important a chararcter to just forget about.

Also, I've always wondered what shenanigans The Doctor & Vic might get up to if say Moriarty ever showed up again (and what do you know...) Any word if our "Favorite Photonics" would ever get to chew the scenery together?
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: So what's Vic Fontaine up to these days?

He's safe. Quark paid Morn to carry the device containing his program off of the station as they evacuated.
Old May 4 2014, 07:57 PM   #3
SimpleLogic
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View SimpleLogic's Twitter Profile

Well maybe he got backed up to the Starfleet Cloud and was safely restored to the new station. I've always thought STO needed some holodeck side games for fun and Vic's lounge would be fun to be in on DS9.

I don't think we'll ever see Moriarty intereact with anyone again he was fooled pretty well in that mini computer. Did they even salvage that thing from the D wreckage? And if so did it even still work?
Old May 4 2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

SimpleLogic wrote: View Post
I don't think we'll ever see Moriarty intereact with anyone again he was fooled pretty well in that mini computer. Did they even salvage that thing from the D wreckage? And if so did it even still work?
Since he is in the upcoming TNG: Light Fantastic by Jeff Lang I would say that's a yes.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 04:26 AM   #5
Technobuilder
Commodore

Defcon wrote: View Post
Since he is in the upcoming TNG: Light Fantastic by Jeff Lang I would say that's a yes.
Quite. I was hoping that Mr. Lang may include mention of Vic since this appears to be another A.I./Hologram sort of story.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Old May 5 2014, 10:57 AM   #6
bfollowell
Commander

Defcon wrote: View Post

OK, am I blind or just dense? I realize I read the linked article really quickly, before leaving for work, but, I never saw any mention of Vic or any indication that he may be in the new novel. I've read about this new novel for a few months now and have never heard any mention that Vic was supposed to be back or making an appearance. Did I miss something?

- Byron
Old May 5 2014, 01:29 PM   #7
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Moriarty is in the new TNG novel, not Vic.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 02:00 AM   #8
Technobuilder
Commodore

Correct, I think bfollowell just confused the quote with the subject. The quote Defcon made was just referring to Moriarty as being confirmed to appear in the next book.

In addition, mention of other holograms showing up has been made... So Vic MIGHT be in the book, which is what we've been postulating.
Old May 8 2014, 02:07 AM   #9
bfollowell
Commander

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Correct, I think bfollowell just confused the quote with the subject. The quote Defcon made was just referring to Moriarty as being confirmed to appear in the next book.

In addition, mention of other holograms showing up has been made... So Vic MIGHT be in the book, which is what we've been postulating.
Yes, I just flew right over that and assumed we were still talking about Vic. Like I'd mentioned, it was early in the morning before I left for work; about 4:45 AM if I remember correctly. I'm just now getting a chance to get back and see my silly oversight.

- Byron
Old May 10 2014, 08:04 AM   #10
vegaslover62
Lieutenant Commander

Location: 2112 Rivendell, Xanadu. In the Lakeside Park Subdivisions on the beautiful Bacchus Plateau

I imagine the reason we haven't seen him is because his program was made for the old DS9's holosuite systems, and every computer in the current Bajoran system is incompatible.
vegaslover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

vegaslover62 wrote: View Post
I imagine the reason we haven't seen him is because his program was made for the old DS9's holosuite systems, and every computer in the current Bajoran system is incompatible.
Was he, though? Bashir got the program from his friend Felix back home. I always assumed that it was a commercial program that Felix sold (or distributed, or however IP is handled in a moneyless post-scarcity economy) to various customers. There could be a bunch of Vic Fontaines out there, just as there are a bunch of EMH Mark 1s.

Although that raises the question of whether they're all as sentient as Vic seems to be, or whether Vic is even sentient at all. Some of the books imply there's more to him than meets the eye. There was a Strange New Worlds story that posited that "The Pup" from season 1's "The Forsaken" had merged with Vic's program and made him "alive," which is a cool idea, although unfortunately the story makes a couple of major mistakes (it calls Vic's programmer "Fritz" and assumes that Vic is a bartender rather than a singer/lounge owner), so I'm not quite able to think of it as the "real" story.

Besides, we know from very early on that Quark's holosuites are compatible with Federation software protocols, since Sisko and Jake brought their baseball programs with them when they came to DS9. It stands to reason that commercial suites like Quark's would be able to accommodate multiple standard software formats, both so that he could buy cheaply available, standard programs rather than needing to commission custom ones, and so that he could gain business from customers who wanted to run their own programs on his suites while they were staying at the station.
Old May 10 2014, 01:59 PM   #12
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
There was a Strange New Worlds story that posited that "The Pup" from season 1's "The Forsaken" had merged with Vic's program and made him "alive,".
That's a nice idea.

O'Brien has a habit of picking up pets that we never hear from again. The Pup, his tarantula, Bilby's cat... he's like the Bluebeard of lost and displaced creatures.
Old May 10 2014, 05:11 PM   #13
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
It calls Vic's programmer "Fritz".
According to Brian Seidman's annotations "'Fritz' is the little-known last name of Dr. Bashir's friend (and proported creator of the Vic Fontaine holoprogram) Felix Fritz".[http://www.brianseidman.com/snw.php]
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 05:52 PM   #14
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Pretty sure O'Brien's cat was seen in a few episodes after.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 01:55 AM   #15
JD
Admiral

According to Memory Alpha, Bilby's cat, Chester, also appeared in Time's Orphan.