Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "Court Martial"
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 9 37.50%
7 4 16.67%
8 9 37.50%
9 2 8.33%
10 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2014, 06:20 PM   #31
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Episode of the Week : Court Martial

scotpens wrote: View Post
I thought Cogley's traditional-yet-futuristic suit looked cool
Well to each their own. The pic you posted earlier reminded me how much I didn't like it. It looks like Munchkinland tailoring, made partly of upholstery vinyl. If you need immediate ambidextrous access to your pen, though, that jacket would be a winner!
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 06:26 PM   #32
Timo
Admiral

Well, there was nobody on the ship for back-up
...Because Kirk had opted not to arrange for such. It was Kirk's doing that the heroes were on the ship in the first place, and he could and should have come with an army.

and the Enterprise had very little time before entering the atmosphere
This emergency only developed after Kirk had set out on a solo hunt of the evil Records Officer.

perhaps too short amount of time to beam-up a security team.
Probably so. And who knows what Finney might have done to prevent beaming. But that only accentuates Kirk's failure to prepare.

Plus, it gave our Captain the opportunity to be the hero, lol. Kirk is a bad-ass with a phaser; for me that's good enough.
Sure - I'd just have preferred the version where he's the hero who finds Finney, while other heroes elsewhere are also sensibly toiling on the issue but don't have the great luck of being at the most heroic spot at the most heroic time.

Excuse me? Finney faked his own death and attempted to incriminate Kirk. Ergo, there was neither murderer nor victim.
What? Finney made himself the victim obviously enough. And by doing so, he made Kirk a murderer - which might well mean Kirk being executed, making him the victim and Finney the murderer. Not that I'd have meant it quite so literally, anyway.

As for the "Cogley lurking in a one-horse Starbase" argument, I'd rather milk the editing error regarding the bar, and argue that in fact the colony around the Starbase was so vast that people who had spent the previous night at the base bar could the next day be on the other side of the continent, having to travel from there to the court of inquiry.

Stone or his secretary might well have failed to inform the three stooges of the jury before they dispersed to sightsee the planet. Or then he had in fact informed them all of the upcoming task, and they were staying at the base, ready for work, but Kirk didn't know this and erroneously assumed that the summons that had gone out last night had yet to produce a result.

The planet appears to be Class M - people there live next to domes, not under those, as more clearly seen in the TOS-R version of the base in "The Menagerie" but already possibly hinted at by the conventional, non-spacehab-like architecture of the office tower. Why not assume the entire planet is being exploited and inhabited?

(Incidentally, why is Finney's daughter there? What part of Finney's plan would cause Kirk to be sent to this specific location after "murdering" Finney? In order to get his plan rolling, did the poor man not just have to wait until encountering an ion storm, but until encountering an ion storm close to Starbase 11? Or was the presence of the daughter a total coincidence? Or indication that civilians at random spots of the Federation can travel very fast to locations like this when hearing bad news?)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 06:50 PM   #33
J.T.B.
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
What? Finney made himself the victim obviously enough. And by doing so, he made Kirk a murderer - which might well mean Kirk being executed, making him the victim and Finney the murderer.
Apparently Starfleet didn't think so; they charged him with culpable negligence, not murder.
Old May 7 2014, 08:53 PM   #34
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

This episode has a lot of flaws and oddities, but I really appreciate it.

Another oddity: Why the hell Finney was assigned to the Enterprise. He seems to have enough friends among commanding officers to not having to serve under a Captain with whom he has a difficult relationship.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 08:55 PM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Armored Saint wrote: View Post

Another oddity: Why the hell Finney was assigned to the Enterprise. He seems to have enough friends among commanding officers to not having to serve under a Captain with whom he has a difficult relationship.
Did anyone actually know that Finney had an issue with Kirk though?
Old May 7 2014, 09:21 PM   #36
J.T.B.
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Stone said it was "common knowledge" that something had broken up the once-close friendship of Kirk and Finney. But Finney probably kept how much he resented Kirk well hidden. Officers are assigned where they are needed, and if Finney wasn't considered professional enough to serve under his former friend, he would probably need to worry more about his next career than his next assignment.
Old May 7 2014, 09:24 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Stone said it was "common knowledge" that something had broken up the once-close friendship of Kirk and Finney. But Finney probably kept how much he resented Kirk well hidden. Officers are assigned where they are needed, and if Finney wasn't considered professional enough to serve under his former friend, he would probably need to worry more about his next career than his next assignment.
Okay. It has been a while since I have seen the episode.