Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 5 2014, 06:52 AM   #31
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: No watches in Trek?

Timewalker wrote: View Post
If they're on a planet, they can always use the Sun (or moon, if it's night time).

That's how I do it when my clock batteries are dead and I'm too lazy to check the computer clock. Mind you, it's a useless method when the sky is so cloudy you can't tell where the Sun or Moon is.
Although, of course, you have to remember what planet you're on, what its rotational cycle is, and how many moons it has in various different orbits . . . .

Spock could probably do that in his head, but the average redshirt?

"Hey, Kelso, what time is it?"

"Well, this planet orbits a binary star-system, this is the fifth planet in its system, and the days are 76.8 hours long, so . . . oh hell, does somebody have a watch?"
Old May 5 2014, 07:21 AM   #32
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I rely on my wristwatch and land lines.
I was skimming the thread and thought you relied on your wristwatch and land mines. It made for an interesting couple of seconds while I tried to figure out what your game is.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 07:23 AM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I rely on my wristwatch and land lines.
I was skimming the thread and thought you relied on your wristwatch and land mines. It made for an interesting couple of seconds while I tried to figure out what your game is.
Just watch where you step.
Old May 5 2014, 09:22 AM   #34
Timo
Admiral

..On your wrist?

What are the onscreen instances of somebody knowing the time of the day or the amount of time passed when he or she should not? That is, when there is no piece of technology with them, and Spock or Data is not part of the team?

(I guess Bashir might know the exact time, too - and it would be great fun to spot him quoting that during the early seasons, and the significance flying high above the heads of his friends...)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 09:33 AM   #35
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I confess: I miss watches in Trek simply because it would give the characters some physical business to do.

"Kirk glanced at the chronometer on his wrist-communicator. His brow furrowed in concern as the seconds ticked away on the illuminated digital display."
But they do have watches in the novels. I remember a couple where a character would check their "wrist chrono". I guess someone somewhere thought that sounded more futuristic than "watch".
Old May 5 2014, 05:51 PM   #36
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Tricorders certainly could display internal or ship's network time. Kirk has no need with Spock around.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 06:10 PM   #37
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Timepieces are the fire in which we burn, Captain....

Although, of course, you have to remember what planet you're on, what its rotational cycle is, and how many moons it has in various different orbits . . . .
Not to mention that this would do very little to tell you what you probably wanted to know - shipboard time - unless you also kept up with it continuously from the time you landed.
Old May 5 2014, 10:07 PM   #38
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

In Stephen Whitfield's MAKING OF STAR TREK book, there is are excerpts from several notes Gene Coon made on various scripts. One of the scenes called for an Enterprise officer to look at his watch, causing Coon to sarcastically remark "Is it a Timex or an Ingersoll?" This indicated that the original series creators felt that watches would no longer be used in Star Trek's time.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 11:34 PM   #39
scotpens
Vice Admiral

ToddPence wrote: View Post
In Stephen Whitfield's MAKING OF STAR TREK book, there is are excerpts from several notes Gene Coon made on various scripts. One of the scenes called for an Enterprise officer to look at his watch, causing Coon to sarcastically remark "Is it a Timex or an Ingersoll?" This indicated that the original series creators felt that watches would no longer be used in Star Trek's time.
According to my copy of TMOST, it was a comment by an unnamed staff member after a first script reading: "On page 14, South looks at Janice's wristwatch. Does she wear a Timex or an Ingersol?"
Old May 7 2014, 03:15 AM   #40
trekshark
Lieutenant

didn't rasmusen have some kind of watch (or at least a count down timer)? been a while since I've seen that episode, plus he was from the past so even if I'm remembering correctly it doesn't prove anything about the time period the shows take place in
trekshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 04:06 AM   #41
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

^ He did have something he kept checking that was presumably a timepiece. It was built into a ring, though, instead of being a standard wristwatch.

Close-up view
Old May 7 2014, 07:10 AM   #42
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

ToddPence wrote: View Post

I thought the point was to sarcastically say the show couldn't use a 1960s watch, and a spacey one from the prop dept would cost money. Same as pointing out that there was no sink in Kirk's quarters in which to splash water on his face.

But then, the show also had a general rule that clothes don't have pockets anymore and guns don't have trigger guards, so maybe the equally impractical idea the nobody has a timepiece was in fact the intended point. It's just a "super-sleek era" thing.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 02:00 PM   #43
Tiberius
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Dr. Crusher was wearing a wrist watch in at least one episode.

Okay Gates forgot to take it off in her dressing room, but it's canon now that Crusher sometimes wears a watch.

Code of Honor
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 02:05 PM   #44
Tiberius
Commodore

I confess I've struggled with this when writing the books. When Kirk is leading a landing party and there's a specific deadline involved, how does he keep track of the time?

"We have exactly twenty minutes before the planet implodes. Rendezvous back at the shuttle in ten minutes. Let's synchronize our . . . never mind."
Why not the communicators? Flip open the communicator and you can say things like, "Start a ten minute timer." "Tell me what the local time is." "How long to the rendezvous?" and have the communicator speak out loud. And it wouldn't be hard for Kirk to set a timer on his communicator and have it automatically sync with the rest of the landing party's...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 02:40 PM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Did the wristwatch in TWOK also function as a communicator?
Yes, it did.