RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,954
Posts: 5,479,961
Members: 25,057
Currently online: 682
Newest member: Ghost_of_Bubba

TrekToday headlines

USS Enterprise Press-Out And Build Manual
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

New QMx USS Reliant Model
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Star Trek Thirty-Five Years On 35MM: A Retrospective
By: T'Bonz on Nov 28

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 4 2014, 09:38 PM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: No watches in Trek?

Scotty has a nice wrist communicator in Star Trek and Into Darkness. I'm not sure if it tells the time though...

(watch when Kirk and Spock enter the transporter room to beam to the Narada in ST'09 for a good shot of it)
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 12:56 AM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: No watches in Trek?

I confess I've struggled with this when writing the books. When Kirk is leading a landing party and there's a specific deadline involved, how does he keep track of the time?

"We have exactly twenty minutes before the planet implodes. Rendezvous back at the shuttle in ten minutes. Let's synchronize our . . . never mind."
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; May 5 2014 at 04:34 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 03:30 AM   #18
Ro_Laren
Commodore
 
Ro_Laren's Avatar
 
Location: The Badlands
Re: No watches in Trek?

My cell phone could never replace my watch!
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 04:38 AM   #19
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral
 
Jonas Grumby's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere in the South Pacific
Re: No watches in Trek?

^ Mine, neither.

I mean, it can, in a pinch. But there's no way digging a phone out of my pocket and opening the flip-top to check the time can compete with just glancing at my wrist.
__________________
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 04:41 AM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: No watches in Trek?

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
My cell phone could never replace my watch!
Ditto. I rely on my wristwatch and land lines. I almost never carry my cell phone, except when travelling out of town. And maybe you can check the time with my phone, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

Truth be told, I know how to turn it on and make phone calls, but that's about it.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 04:44 AM   #21
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: No watches in Trek?

I haven't worn a wristwatch in years. Everything has a clock in it now, from my cable box, to my iPhone, all of my computers, my car, and even my microwave oven and coffeemaker.
__________________
Check the circuit!
Mr. Spock, The Cage
(The very first line of dialogue in the series)
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:14 AM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: No watches in Trek?

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
^ Mine, neither.

I mean, it can, in a pinch. But there's no way digging a phone out of my pocket and opening the flip-top to check the time can compete with just glancing at my wrist.
I'm with you. It seems eminently easier to just glance at my wrist than fiddle with some sort of high-tech device. Especially if I'm walking the dog, or mowing the lawn, or strolling down to the bank or post office or whatever.

Then again, I was on a plane the other day and I couldn't help noticing that it seemed like I was the only person who had brought along a newspaper and a paperback novel instead of a laptop or tablet or some such gadget.

Times are changing, I guess. But I still want to know how Captain Kirk knows what it time it is when he's racing to escape Gamma Zeta Omega IV . . ..
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:32 AM   #23
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: No watches in Trek?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
My cell phone could never replace my watch!
Ditto. I rely on my wristwatch and land lines. I almost never carry my cell phone, except when travelling out of town. And maybe you can check the time with my phone, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

Truth be told, I know how to turn it on and make phone calls, but that's about it.
I was a decently early adopter and I think every cell phone I've ever had would show the time right on the main display without having to do anything else.

It works pretty well for those of us who occasionally have the need to know the time but don't need to constantly check.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:45 AM   #24
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: No watches in Trek?

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
My cell phone could never replace my watch!
Ditto. I rely on my wristwatch and land lines. I almost never carry my cell phone, except when travelling out of town. And maybe you can check the time with my phone, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

Truth be told, I know how to turn it on and make phone calls, but that's about it.
I was a decently early adopter and I think every cell phone I've ever had would show the time right on the main display without having to do anything else.
Okay, I couldn't resist running downstairs to the kitchen to examine our cell phone (which mostly sits in a cupboard, unused). Turns out the time is on the main display after all. Who knew?

Still seems easier just to glance at my wrist than to carry a phone around all the time, though.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:57 AM   #25
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain
 
Avro Arrow's Avatar
 
Location: Secret Arctic Base
Re: No watches in Trek?

I stopped wearing a watch last year after I realized I was wearing it strictly out of habit. At work, the time is always right there in the bottom-right corner of the screen, at home I have enough clocks around, and since work has me tethered to a cell phone, I always have one when I'm out. The watch just became redundant.
__________________
Now, the time is now, we can still turn it around / Raise your voice like a weapon till they fall to the ground
Light, let there be light, without a shadow of doubt / We will fight tooth and nail until salvation is found --
Billy Talent
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:59 AM   #26
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: No watches in Trek?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Then again, I was on a plane the other day and I couldn't help noticing that it seemed like I was the only person who had brought along a newspaper and a paperback novel instead of a laptop or tablet or some such gadget.

Times are changing, I guess. But I still want to know how Captain Kirk knows what it time it is when he's racing to escape Gamma Zeta Omega IV . . ..
I sit at the school waiting to pick up my child and I'm the only parent not looking at my mobile phone.
I sometimes take along a Star Trek novel (perhaps written by people who frequent this board) to read. Although I hide its cover. Don't want people to think I'm a weird Star Trek fan or anything.

But I say the main reason Kirk doesn't need a watch is that he's got Spock to tell him the time.
If he rendezvousing with Spock, he's got the time is on his communicator or tricorder.

Also maybe in command school they teach him how to judge short passages of time like 20 minutes.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 06:05 AM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: No watches in Trek?

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Then again, I was on a plane the other day and I couldn't help noticing that it seemed like I was the only person who had brought along a newspaper and a paperback novel instead of a laptop or tablet or some such gadget.

Times are changing, I guess. But I still want to know how Captain Kirk knows what it time it is when he's racing to escape Gamma Zeta Omega IV . . ..
I sit at the school waiting to pick up my child and I'm the only parent not looking at my mobile phone.
I sometimes take along a Star Trek novel (perhaps written by people who frequent this board) to read. Although I hide its cover. Don't want people to think I'm a weird Star Trek fan or anything.
A few summers ago, during a heat wave, lots of people flocked to our local library in search of air-conditioning. I noticed that I was the only person scribbling on a yellow legal pad instead of working on a laptop . . . .

But don't be ashamed of those incriminating Star Trek covers. Fly your Trekkie flag freely!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 06:24 AM   #28
Campe98
Commodore
 
Campe98's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: No watches in Trek?

Considering the fact we have Google Glass now, there's certainly the possibility that technology would advance to the point where Starfleet could conceivably have a HUD projected directly on the retina that includes a chronometer. It's been awhile since I've watched TOS in full but I recall episodes where Spock and Scotty give extended reports as they face the view screen. It's conceivable the information could be displayed on the main viewer. Or, on their Google Glass - Retina Edition.

The issue however is why would a communicator or tricorder be needed if such tech existed? One could suggest these devices go well beyond their apparent use. Or, ya know, audiences need something they can relate to. While I, in 2014, can accept the idea of a retinal implant, 1960s audiences probably couldn't.
__________________
"Living is easy with eyes closed."
John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever
Campe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 06:40 AM   #29
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: No watches in Trek?

I confess: I miss watches in Trek simply because it would give the characters some physical business to do.

"Kirk glanced at the chronometer on his wrist-communicator. His brow furrowed in concern as the seconds ticked away on the illuminated digital display."
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 06:42 AM   #30
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: No watches in Trek?

If they're on a planet, they can always use the Sun (or moon, if it's night time).

That's how I do it when my clock batteries are dead and I'm too lazy to check the computer clock. Mind you, it's a useless method when the sky is so cloudy you can't tell where the Sun or Moon is.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.