Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Please rate Starship Exeter: The Tressaurian Intersection (whole show,
Best. Trek Fanfilm. Ever. 38 40.86%
Excellent 38 40.86%
Good 15 16.13%
Average 2 2.15%
Fair 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 25 2014, 09:55 PM   #121
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Exeter "The Tressaurian Intersection" Grading & Discussion Thread

Thanks. I think if you compare the cinematography in TTI to other fanfilms in production in 2004 you'll notice that it's head and shoulders above them in terms of cinematography. It's also loaded with dolly shots and other camera moves, which are few and far between in most fanfilms even today.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 10:43 PM   #122
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
Thanks. I think if you compare the cinematography in TTI to other fanfilms in production in 2004 you'll notice that it's head and shoulders above them in terms of cinematography. It's also loaded with dolly shots and other camera moves, which are few and far between in most fanfilms even today.
I figured I was putting my foot in my mouth in one regard or another. But you're right, TTI was ahead of it's time. I was concentrating on the ways that it still hasn't been matched.

Exeter did it's own thing while being set perfectly in the TOS universe. Which made it feel most TOS of all.
Old May 27 2014, 01:51 PM   #123
Dennis
The Man

I do think it's remarkable that Exeter achieved so much so well nearly at the beginning of the Trek "online fan film" phenomenon. Nonetheless there are areas of production that have been refined a tremendous amount by other groups over the last ten years.
Old May 29 2014, 01:34 AM   #124
NewHorizon
Captain

Any chance of seeing the cast reunite for some type of roundtable discussion about their time on board Exeter, or even a commentary for Tressaurian Intersection? It's a great episode. Were there any more scripts written and what would the logistics be of pulling just one more episode together after this much time?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 02:26 AM   #125
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Any chance of seeing the cast reunite for some type of roundtable discussion about their time on board Exeter, or even a commentary for Tressaurian Intersection? It's a great episode. Were there any more scripts written and what would the logistics be of pulling just one more episode together after this much time?
Scott's discussed doing one final episode of the Starship Exeter podcast to get closing thoughts from the key stakeholders.

Jimm and Josh previously did a commentary track for "The Savage Empire" (which you can still find on YouTube), so maybe they'll eventually do one for "The Tressaurian Intersection" (TTI).

There was a script for the 3rd episode, but it was even more ambitious than TTI, and I doubt it would be made given how hard it was to get TTI done. I know Jimm and Josh have other story ideas.

I can't speak to logistics. You can't really estimate the effort it will take to make a film until you have a script.
Old May 29 2014, 06:36 PM   #126
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed seeing the final product at last. A really fine story well presented. I too appreciated this being a straightforward episode without tying in other characters from other series. It was never boring. Thank you for that!

Also, thanks for having a new background score composed for the production. As much as I enjoy the original series music, it’s often overused in the other productions and laid on without much care other than to “have music.” Not every joke needs Shore Leave music, not every scene needs music at all. Having a score written specifically for the episode gives us a more appropriate feel.

Just a question: is the Starship Exeter main theme a play on Fred Steiner’s “Space Radio” from Mudd’s Women? I was looking for something in the credits, but didn’t see anything. It’s a lovely tune.

Thanks again for all the hard work getting this done. Really great stuff.
Old May 29 2014, 08:53 PM   #127
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Last night I showed TTI and World Enough and Time to my g/f and her teen-aged son. He liked TTI better, she liked WEAT better. They agreed that both were excellent productions! I think anybody who enjoys Trek or Sci-fi in general would have to be impressed. In here we can sometimes get lost in criticism (constructive or otherwise) and lose sight of what a great accomplishment simply turning out a finished product is, let alone how difficult putting together entertaining and well-crafted shows really is.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 12:25 AM   #128
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Just a question: is the Starship Exeter main theme a play on Fred Steiner’s “Space Radio” from Mudd’s Women? I was looking for something in the credits, but didn’t see anything. It’s a lovely tune.
Yep. Stan Ginsel did a theme based on it.
Old June 3 2014, 01:31 PM   #129
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Is there anyway to download this? I'm on satellite internet and it's easier to download YouTube videos at night, during my "Bonus Bytes" period that watch them during the day. However, when I try to get this video from YouTube, the file has no sound.

My dad has all of the old Exeter stuff when it was hosted on the Exeter site, but now we can't seem to find a download link anywhere.

Thanks, guys.
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 01:42 PM   #130
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

There's a Firefox plugin that lets you DL YouTube vids.
Old June 3 2014, 01:51 PM   #131
AustNerevar
Lieutenant Commander

Tallguy wrote: View Post
There's a Firefox plugin that lets you DL YouTube vids.
Yeah, I have two different ones, however initial attempts resulted in videos with no sound. Same when my dad tried on his PC with different programs.

However, for some reason, the embedded video on Starship Exeter's website worked for me, even though it's the same YouTube video O.o
AustNerevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 02:11 PM   #132
NewHorizon
Captain

Would be nice to be able to download a non-youtube compressed copy of the episode. Any chance of setting up a torrent?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 08:44 PM   #133
myrnakitty
Ensign

Hi Maurice, again kudos, especially for sticking with this worth while project. I'm one of those who actually waited for completion before viewing past the Teaser. I'd check in every couple of years and be surprised to find some source hinting that the project still had breath (such as this very BBS).

The scene with the yeoman in the conference room just prior to Act IV kicking in is subtly telegraphic of the ending, and exquisitely detailed. Very cool. It left me with a tinge of regret I couldn't quite place until later.

While the computer graphic displays are wonderfully explanatory, they seemed, quite naturally, a tad out of step with the simple switches and square-disc props that interfaced the Captain with the computer. This at first left me thinking that, well, of course it would seem simplistic, what with our current 21st century technology. Then SIRI came to mind.

Then, oh my, Roddenberry's initial computer interface paradigm came in a flash. In the 1960's, it simply wouldn't matter dramatically how simple or non-specific computer control might appear, because the computer can converse with language. Hearing Barrett's mechanized computer voice in my mind instantly begged a question.

Was voice interface considered for that scene? Even if not initially a decade ago, for whatever reason, did you consider asking Jimm about perhaps writing and doing some voice-overs? Having a few choice pieces of vocal interface, Jimm's during the screen close-ups, the computer's during those and any other shot, like perhaps a "Specify.." just before the Captain inserts the disk, etc., and human and computer snippets of inquiry and explanation to go along with the superb graphics, might have added some sweet icing to a very nice cake.

I've watched the scene a couple of times since my tiny revelation, and oh my, does it ever call out, to me anyway. And who am I?

I hope I haven't caused any kind of a "doh!" thump on your forehead with the palm of your hand here. And hey, if the idea has merit, an audio refit certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. Apologies for any nagging thoughts the idea might cause.

You are yours deserve an Emmy. Ranks with the best TOS, right up there with City On The Edge Of Forever.

-Johnny

cc: FB/Starship Exeter (if accepted into the Group...at the least you'll know who I am ;-D)
myrnakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 04:00 AM   #134
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

No "doh" moments for us here. A lot of things which seem obvious to viewers are obvious to the filmmakers as well, but often thrown out because, ultimately, you have to go with what you feel works dramatically.

I did not work on the briefing room scene with the computer you mention. There were countless edits of it, and even attempts to get rid of it, because it never quite worked. I saw many of these edits and put in my 2¢, but ultimately what you see is what Jimm settled on, for better or for worse.

I can only speak knowledgeably about the decisions made in Act 4, as I did the main cut of that which Scott Cummins then refined considerably.
Old June 6 2014, 02:40 PM   #135
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile

Maurice, than you to you, Scott, Jimm, Josh and the rest of the crew of Exeter for bringing the complete episode to life. It was a long wait, but well worth it. Solid script, great production values... just a ton of great fun.

Yancy