Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Please rate Starship Exeter: The Tressaurian Intersection (whole show,
Best. Trek Fanfilm. Ever. 38 40.86%
Excellent 38 40.86%
Good 15 16.13%
Average 2 2.15%
Fair 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2 2014, 08:57 PM   #31
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Exeter "The Tressaurian Intersection" Grading & Discussion Thread

And FOUR lights!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 08:58 PM   #32
Forbin
Admiral

Watched it at work on this very slow day. Marvelous job all!

When does the next episode come out?

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 09:20 PM   #33
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 09:52 PM   #34
mach7
Commander

Was it the best fan film ever? No.
That honor goes to Fry's Trek! ;-)

Was it great? YES! The last act was one hellava ride!

Good job to everyone! I had only watched the teaser and act
1 before. I wanted to watch it all in one sitting.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 10:02 PM   #35
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
What do you mean about editing issues? Such as?
Three come to mind. In the teaser, that awkward moment where Richards appears to try to shake hands with Garrovick and he hands her the memo pad instead seems a little tighter. In the Kongo engine room, the engineer's line where he's saying they can't tow it all the way back to earth space, a cutaway to Garrovick seems to have been added. When B'fuselek apologizes for his weakness, it looks like that's been tightened up a little. Just minor stuff lasting maybe a couple of seconds total, but to me they make a big difference in the smoothness of the flow. In such a tight, fast-moving story, any breaks in the pacing really show up and I think while most people may not consciously notice them, I do think the overall effect is going to be much smoother. Just two cents worth from the peanut gallery.
Interesting, but we made no edits were to the previous acts. All Scott did was load them and re-render them.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 10:05 PM   #36
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

At last!

The complete TTI was well worth the test of patience! I sort of expected the "guest star" outcome, as the mid-episode focus is similar to the way such guests were used not only on TOS, but other 1960s series. That said, the emotional impact was not lost.

The overall tone and character interplay sold the episode as genuine TOS-era Star Trek. I can imagine this crew functioning in the same universe of the Enterprise like the many guest star captain, lieutenant and commodore characters seen on TOS.

TTI easily ranks as one of the hallmarks of this now "old" genre of the fan film, and should be required viewing in any study, or recommendation for purely entertainment purposes.

Though the production is several years old, it stands shoulder to shoulder with current ST fan films now employing the full palette of digital production.

My only regret is that TTI was the last episode in a promising series...?

Maybe...just maybe the Exeter crew will return, TMP style.....you know, a few years after the 5-year mission? Obvious hint!
Old May 2 2014, 10:15 PM   #37
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
What was that date...2015??
Old May 2 2014, 11:03 PM   #38
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

The one thing that this episode really tells me is that it is indeed possible to create an episode of Star Trek that has the look, heart and soul of the original series, but has the action and tempo of the more modern movies and TV shows, and make it all work, and work well. And it can be done without doing the "Everything and the kitchen sink" type of episode as well.

Oh, I have to be honest and admit I squeed like a little girl at seeing my name in the end credits and on the plaque posted on FB.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2014, 11:55 PM   #39
Dennis
The Man

Truth to tell, I'm surprised and pleased that we fooled as many folks as we apparently did as to how Vandi Richards would wind up - especially since she's wearing red.

I figured that the only way we might keep some suspense there was by misdirection - since Richards's role was very similar to that of the female yeomen in the original series, maybe viewers would just take Vandi as a character analogous to Rand who was being added to the permanent cast rather than a guest character. If OTOH she were clearly the Scientist-and-or-Romance-of-The-Week, the fact that she at least wouldn't be sticking around would be more obvious.
Old May 3 2014, 12:30 AM   #40
dayxday1000
Lieutenant Commander

IcecreamLtDan wrote: View Post
The one thing that this episode really tells me is that it is indeed possible to create an episode of Star Trek that has the look, heart and soul of the original series, but has the action and tempo of the more modern movies and TV shows, and make it all work, and work well. And it can be done without doing the "Everything and the kitchen sink" type of episode as well.
This^^
dayxday1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 02:11 AM   #41
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post
Truth to tell, I'm surprised and pleased that we fooled as many folks as we apparently did as to how Vandi Richards would wind up - especially since she's wearing red.

I figured that the only way we might keep some suspense there was by misdirection - since Richards's role was very similar to that of the female yeomen in the original series, maybe viewers would just take Vandi as a character analogous to Rand who was being added to the permanent cast rather than a guest character. If OTOH she were clearly the Scientist-and-or-Romance-of-The-Week, the fact that she at least wouldn't be sticking around would be more obvious.
I actually read the casualty report Garrovick accessed while composing the condolence letter to her parents. (I know I'm a geek...you gotta problem with that?)
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 02:17 AM   #42
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Out-FREAKING-standing!

Each act delivered on the promise of the teaser and it was very much worth waiting to see it all in one sitting. My wife nodded off after a long day and didn't last the whole episode, but I have to give her credit for calling Richard's fate even before Act one was halfway through. I didn't believe her, Dennis, so you folks had me fooled. Although I *did* remark about the "weapon", "My, that looks Tholian!"

How many of the sets with bodies were scale models? I honestly couldn't tell, except that it would have been cost-prohibitive to do all those sets full-size when there was no talent acting in them.

Speaking of physical models, they were incredible -- especially if my guess about the sets is correct. I'm assuming there was little to no CGI in this.

I said it once in the other thread, but it deserves repeating, thank you cast and crew of Starship Exeter, you folks did an amazing job.

Okay, Dennis, I'm getting back in the car. Take me home.

That joke never gets old.
Old May 3 2014, 02:42 AM   #43
pymfan2000
Lieutenant

Very well done. The long wait was frustrating but..kudos to the production for hanging in there and seeing it through to an end product.
I wish more Trek fan films were filmed, produced or penned half as good as Exeter managed.

I have to admit I was amongst those who doubted this would ever see a finished product. I am very pleased (and humbled) to admit I was wrong!

edit: penned or written half as well not half as good. Don't know what my mind was working on there.

Last edited by pymfan2000; May 3 2014 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typo
pymfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 03:25 AM   #44
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

Congratulations on a job well done and thank you to all involved
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2014, 03:28 AM   #45
Bixby
Captain

Saw the whole episode in one sitting and was pleasantly surprised that the story is really tight, engaging and dramatic in the best way. I found it a worthy heir to the best of TOS.

In a way, Tressaurian Intersection seems to be a mixture of the Doomsday Machine and Wrath of Khan: a sister ship dismantled and gutted by an overwhelming force, its Captain dead or soon-to-be...The prototype and what it does to the star is akin to the Genesis device, and the episode ends with Richards/Spock running from the bridge to the transporter room/engineering to save the ship, sacrificing her/his life for the others. The ship barely escapes a cosmic-level Armageddon at the last second, with the Captain told about the tragedy...

One thing that came to me some time ago about the cast of this series: in a way, they are the Anti-Star Trek : You have Kirk who is charming, gregarious, laidback...then you have Garrovick who can be surly, uptight and hotheaded. Bones is cranky but also a southern gentleman, while Cutty can be blue-collar pragmatic. McCoy has bedside manner to spare but his other alter ego, Azato is a bone fide misanthrope.

Spock is reserved, dignified and intellectual to the point of arrogance. Harris seems to play these qualities up to a point, B'Fuselek as the alien standardbearer is easily agitated and pretty clueless...

Anyhoo, I don't really have anything to quibble about, save that the Doctor's casualty list seems incomplete: It mentions Ensign Richards, the security guy who got vaporized by the two invading Tressaurians, and the brig officer whose neck was snapped by the escaping Tressaurian...But what about the redshirt who was, I assume, killed just outside the transporter room (whose phaser is appropriated by Richards), as well as the two transporter technicians (we see one's limp body lying against the transporter platform)?

Favorite scene in this episode? If I had to choose, it would be in the conference room as Richards cluelessly goes on and on about Garrovick's personal history, and everybody's reactions (Cutty, Azato and the helmsman) as they just know what the Captain's reaction is going to be...Priceless!!
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote