Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Drade the movie...
A+ 3 5.56%
A 5 9.26%
A- 6 11.11%
B+ 6 11.11%
B 10 18.52%
B- 7 12.96%
C+ 6 11.11%
C 3 5.56%
C- 4 7.41%
D+ 2 3.70%
D 2 3.70%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11 2014, 09:26 AM   #121
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Grading & Discussion

I think in this particular case, it's less a matter of "franchise fatigue" and more a matter of it not being a very good movie.
Old May 11 2014, 09:31 AM   #122
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I really like Garfield's Peter, and the chemistry with him and Emma Stone is just great....... But man what a stupid movie. Just cheesy stupid nonsense. Jamie Foxx was basically Edward Nigma from Batman Forever. What a waste of a great actor.

It's kind of starting to irritate me that these superhero movies aren't even trying to be great anymore. I remember that period where we got X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, all the way through the summer of Dark Knight and Iron Man. You really got the sense that these movies were actually trying to reach up and shatter the stereotype of "comic superhero" movies even if they weren't perfect.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 02:19 PM   #123
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Face front, pilgrim--Avengers 2 is coming!

the G-man wrote: View Post
ASM3 is already greenlit and a side-franchise based on a number of Spider-Man villains has already been announced.
Green Lantern 2 was also announced, but we're not holding our collective breath, are we...?

Unfortunately, audiences seem to be getting tired of something they feel they have seen too many times before.

i haven't seen it, I don't know if its any good and acknowledge that box office isn't a indicator of quality. At the same time, I can't help but wonder if some of the disappointment at the box office isn't because these movies are basically remakes/rehashes of films that aren't that old and many people may already have on disc.

I really think SONY should have just recast Peter and MJ and done new films, instead of "reimagining" the origin and the stuff with the Green Goblin."
Sounds like we're on the same page here. I didn't agree with the need to reboot everything, but I gave the last one a shot. This time I voted with my wallet and saw TWS a second time last weekend. From what I've been reading here, it doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:38 PM   #124
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
It's kind of starting to irritate me that these superhero movies aren't even trying to be great anymore. I remember that period where we got X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, all the way through the summer of Dark Knight and Iron Man. You really got the sense that these movies were actually trying to reach up and shatter the stereotype of "comic superhero" movies even if they weren't perfect.
The Dark Knight transcended super-hero movies on many levels, reaching critical acclaim, an Academy Award nomination for acting resulting in a (posthumous) win.

And Iron Man came out in.. 2007? Superhero movies have achieved quit a bit since then.

See: Every Marvel superhero movie that came out after Iron Man.
Old May 11 2014, 05:27 PM   #125
the G-man
Commodore

Sounds like we're on the same page here. I didn't agree with the need to reboot everything, but I gave the last one a shot. This time I voted with my wallet and saw TWS a second time last weekend. From what I've been reading here, it doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.
We're on the same page.

Though, oddly enough, I had a different planned response. I skipped the previous one, figuring I didn't need to see an origin film again, and would jump on with the second (on the theory that the second film in a superhero series often surpasses the first).

At this point, however, I'm not sure I want to even bother with this one either.

Maybe I'll catch it on disc
Old May 11 2014, 07:32 PM   #126
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
The Dark Knight transcended super-hero movies on many levels, reaching critical acclaim, an Academy Award nomination for acting resulting in a (posthumous) win.

And Iron Man came out in.. 2007? Superhero movies have achieved quit a bit since then.

See: Every Marvel superhero movie that came out after Iron Man.
I find most of them to be fun yet forgettable. I have a hard time calling most of them great movies individually. Though I did get the sense that Captain America 2 was actually trying.

Anyways, thinking about it, this movie really reminds me of Spider-Man 3. Not in a good way.

Last edited by Stone_Cold_Sisko; May 11 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 03:39 AM   #127
Skywalker
Admiral

I think Sony is going to put out at least one more Spidey movie. They need this franchise badly. If TASM3 underperforms, too, then that might be the end of Sony's Spider-Man franchise.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 03:42 AM   #128
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I think Sony is going to put out at least one more Spidey movie. They need this franchise badly. If TASM3 underperforms, too, then that might be the end of Sony's Spider-Man franchise.
And we *certainly* don't want that.

Old May 12 2014, 04:51 PM   #129
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
The audience is already feeling a been there and done that vibe with this reboot.

SM3 already had Gwen, Venom and Harry as Goblin set up. A way could've been found to resurrect Harry off camera. You had Connors set up for Lizard. They had Malkovich signed for Vulture. So many elements were in place for just a continuation and still maintain success. The reboot that made Peter a cocky tool with Garfield vs the geekier outcast of McGuire that was straight out of Stan Lee's books. Granted by a S4 Peter had grown into a young 20ish man more secure but that's not HS Peter that the Garfield portrayal is.

TASM3 is going to add Mary Jane, JJJ, more Harry as goblin, Doc Ock and/or Sandman----how is it not going to feel "more of the same" and "uninspired" to an audience already showing a losing interest via a downward box office?

I don't see TASM4 a Sinister Six or Venom film ever happening at this point---and that's a good thing imo.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 07:18 PM   #130
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Saw it yesterday with my wife and seven-year old son. Though it was decent enough (graded it as a "B") but have no real desire to see it again. Much like the first one (or the Raimi films for that matter).

Nice Star Trek nod though, the police car sitting at the power station during the final battle with Electro was marked "1701".
Old May 19 2014, 09:58 PM   #131
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Box office:
  • Troubling news for Sony arrive this weekend with the news that "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" fell 59% in its second weekend. The franchise will accumulate a total of $148 million by Monday, but is showing signs of under-performing. With a production and promotion budget that nudges close to $400 million, Spidey will need to gross at least $750 million worldwide just to break even.

Compared to its predecessor, ASM2, is almost $35 million behind where ASM was after 7 days, $110 million compared to $145 million. After 7 days Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy sat at $151 million, $192 million, and $182 million, respectively. And that was without the added windfall of 3D and Imax ticketing.

Sony has bet big on a franchise that is running out of gas. ASM3 is already greenlit and a side-franchise based on a number of Spider-Man villains has already been announced.
    Unfortunately, audiences seem to be getting tired of something they feel they have seen too many times before.

i haven't seen it, I don't know if its any good and acknowledge that box office isn't a indicator of quality. At the same time, I can't help but wonder if some of the disappointment at the box office isn't because these movies are basically remakes/rehashes of films that aren't that old and many people may already have on disc.
It could be that. Personally, I think it is somewhat funny that with the whole Sony/Marvel studios rights thing that it is not Avengers that suffers for lack of Spider-Man - it's the Spider-Man franchise that's suffering in the post-Avengers world.

At some point they're going to have only Spider-Man up against the Sinister Six on his own - not mentioning that if they continue this particular franchise they have to build-out 4 more villains in 1-2 films to even get to Six. (unless they make Goblin one of the Six)

3 villains in this film was already 2 too many...if you even count Rhino.
Old May 19 2014, 10:08 PM   #132
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

I saw it today and rated it A. Adaptations are hard to do but I think this film captured the complexity of Peter's life. Melodrama is apart of every Marvel characters story. The "will they wont they" of Peter and Gwen's story didn't bother me because that's how it was in the comics. Electro was cool. Harry Osborn/Green Goblin was rushed but that doesn't spoil the film for me.

Reading reviews and what other people on this board have said about it. It seems ASM2 is this year's Man of Steel. Dividing critics and fans alike.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 02:56 AM   #133
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The multiple villains thing isn't the problem. The Nolan Batman movies usually had 2-3 villains each time and no one minded. It worked because the villains there usually were patsies working for one central villain who dominated the piece.

Spider-Man 3's problem was that there was next to nothing connecting the villains, and here it worked out semi-ok because Electro, Harry and Rhino were all connected by OsCorp.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 06:09 AM   #134
Tosk
Rear Admiral

...Clumsily. Rhino clearly wasn't even an Oscorp-based villain until late in editing.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 06:51 AM   #135
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I just thought it felt a bit disjointed and that with the gravity of the Gwen storyline they might have been better served focusing on the one villain. That's not to say no film has ever done multiple villains successfully.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote