Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Drade the movie...
A+ 3 5.56%
A 5 9.26%
A- 6 11.11%
B+ 6 11.11%
B 10 18.52%
B- 7 12.96%
C+ 6 11.11%
C 3 5.56%
C- 4 7.41%
D+ 2 3.70%
D 2 3.70%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6 2014, 04:11 AM   #76
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Grading & Discussion

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Some (not me) would argue that Black Widow was the love interest, that there was something going on between them.
A bit of sexual tension doesn't qualify as a love interest in my book.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 04:56 AM   #77
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Is Captain America: The Winter Solider the only solo superhero (The Avengers doesn't count) film to not have a love interest for the main character?
No, there are others..but disturbingly few.

The only ones I can think of are Dredd, Blade Trinity, (though the first two films had love interest characters), and maybe Tank Girl? (I can't remember it clearly enough to say for sure.)
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:35 AM   #78
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

I saw it today and thought it was pretty good, although I have to admit, I liked the first one better.

Andrew Garfield has really grown into his role as both Peter Parker and the wisecracking web-slinging hero. I noticed that Peter and Gwen had more screen time together, focusing on their rather complicated relationship. Garfield and Emma Stone had such wonderful chemistry, although I felt at times their interactions were superfluous. Peter's investigation into his dead father's past revealed Oscorp's sinister plans and shed some light on Dr. Richard Parker's character as a dedicated scientist and a loving father who was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Jamie Foxx's villain Electro was well developed. He was portrayed as a nerdy, clumsy engineer with great admiration for Spider-man, but his motivation as a supervillain wasn't very compelling. I mean, he started to hate Spidey because he thought Spider-man tricked him and that he was more popular amongst the citizens of New York City?

Dane DeHaan did a great job playing Harry Osborn, the tormented young heir to Oscorp tycoon Norman Osborn. He inherited not only his father's fortune but also his debilitating and fatal illness, which caused him to hate Spider-man for refusing to give him what he believed could save his life. This obsession turned into madness that would cost Spider-man someone he deeply loved.

The webslinging over New York's landscape was done very realistically. Overall visuals and sounds were awesome, especially having seen the movie in Dolby Atmos.

My Rating: B+
Old May 6 2014, 06:02 AM   #79
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Electro's whole thing was that he just wanted to be noticed. First, Harry wanted his help and he was okay with that because he wanted revenge on the guys at Ravencroft for torturing him and on OsCorp for being responsible for his transformation and for stealing his work.

He wanted everyone to see him as a God, and getting back at Spidey for "betraying" him (thinking he set him up to be shot) was just the sweetener.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 09:54 AM   #80
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
I know they won't be able to resist, but after the death of Gwen-- and the unique chemistry those two actors shared-- I really do think they should hold off at least one movie before introducing MJ as the next love interest.

Unfortunately you just know they're never going to allow a Spidey movie to be made without a cute, syrupy romance at the center to bring in the female audience.
I saw a post on 9gag that suggested just let Emma Stone have her red hair and she can be MJ

Captain America did have a love interest - justice.

According to IGN there was an actual end-credits scene filmed that was cut -

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 12:27 PM   #81
Mr Light
Admiral

^^

Is that a joke?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 12:49 PM   #82
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Nope.

Link with pics

Quite odd.

Old May 6 2014, 04:14 PM   #83
Agent Richard07
Retired

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I was expecting the ending to have Aunt May introduce a new house guest, MJ, and have her do the infamous "Face it, Tiger..." line.
My first thought was... White Tiger moving in? I'd love that!

White Tiger

Tosk wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Is Captain America: The Winter Solider the only solo superhero (The Avengers doesn't count) film to not have a love interest for the main character?
No, there are others..but disturbingly few.

The only ones I can think of are Dredd, Blade Trinity, (though the first two films had love interest characters), and maybe Tank Girl? (I can't remember it clearly enough to say for sure.)
Dredd had Judge Anderson.

I usually put sexual tension, chemistry and partnerships in the "love interest" category.

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
According to IGN there was an actual end-credits scene filmed that was cut -

Instead, we get a commercial for X-Men. Felt very corporate.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 04:31 PM   #84
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Grade: C-

I didn't enjoy TASM either really. I did grade it marginally better, C+ or so if I recall. This film was poised to allegedly leap this new trilogy to great heights now that the origin story was behind them. It failed to do that.

Pros:
Overall I found Garfield's portrayal of Peter much more likeable. In TASM he was way too cocky for Peter, as Spidey sure but the producers missed that there is an attitudinal difference in the two. Spidey is Peter's outlet. Here while Peter is more self confident he's not arrogant.

Gwen. Simply put when she's on screen the film shines

The web swinging action moments. Still top notch.

Cons:
Nerdy Jaime Foxx as Max Dillon. Really just about anything with Electro. I'm willing to overlook the "origin" but everything else, no. "It's my birthday, time to light my candles". His motivation was---Spidey didn't remember him. I could've gone with disrespect and being overlooked and under appreciated but then his target would have to have been Oscorp, Smythe etc. and it wasn't cause that didn't work for the story. He suddenly has a rubber, lightning bolt embossed suit after the Ravencroft breakout. So is that a stock suit? Also not a fan of him essentially becoming Dr.Manhatten. Electro can't atomize his rubber suit and reform it.

Harry Osborne as "best friend" to Peter Parker. Harry states he was away at boarding school since he was 11. When you are away during a young man's formidable years growing up you can not by definition be "best buds". Adding a line that "Harry was there for me when Uncle Ben died" is lip service while ignoring the prior statement---that they've not seen each other cause Harry was away. Due to the popular 90's cartoon and Raimi series the screen writers know the audience expects them to be best friends so they just write it in regardless that the film itself gives no reason to justify it.

Stalker Heroes. Peter following her around, as Spidey, "just once a day" as he confessed to her later. Since when has stalking become an acceptable "romantic overture"? It wasn't cute in Superman Returns and it's not cute here either.

Gwen is the only one available to reset the power grid. She saw the plans, she can do it. Peter is fairly scientific Gwen, tell him what to do. Also hilarious that he with his science smarts conveniently couldn't figure out how to insulate his webshooters. So then, what is required to reset the power grid? Lift the door covering and pull a switch----thank god only Gwen could've done that.

The nearly colliding aircraft. That served no story purpose as Peter & Gwen had no idea there was a ticking clock towards any doom scenario. That was there for the audience but added nothing to the story itself. It was a distraction.

There is really no logical leap for Harry to put Peter&Spidey together as one and the same. Again, other than the screenwriters know the audience is going to expect that due to knowledge from the prior series.

Aunt May is a nursing student and yet she's seen as being in a fairly authoritarian mode during the blackout. It's about placing her in the final act, I get that, it was just silly "Come on people lets get back to it".

I AM THE RHINO!!! The whole sequence with the kid walking out to face the mechanical terror was camp. Knowing how Marvel Studios has given us very close screen interpretations of characters I'm not convinced we couldn't have a more comic faithful Rhino. When I want Transformers, I'll watch Transformers. An in story reason could be the suit is for bomb squads and thus very impervious. Creating the headpiece could be for effect. Just a stupid ending sequence.

The film deserves all the negative WOM. Noting that it's been out for a few weeks and this thread is only on 6 pages with 37 votes is telling in and of itself as well.

Last edited by Captain Craig; May 6 2014 at 05:40 PM.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 04:44 PM   #85
MacLeod
Admiral

^Well 6 pages, might be more to do with the fact that whilst the film has been out in some markets i.e the UK for around 3 Weeks, it's only been out in the USA for less than a week, and perhaps not everyone goes to see it opening weekend.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:06 PM   #86
Agent Richard07
Retired

I have 3 pages.

And it's interesting that the grades are evenly distributed across the board.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:16 PM   #87
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^Well 6 pages, might be more to do with the fact that whilst the film has been out in some markets i.e the UK for around 3 Weeks, it's only been out in the USA for less than a week, and perhaps not everyone goes to see it opening weekend.
We've all been here when a big event film happened and the Review/Discussion thread exploded out of the gate.

People largely make time to go if they feel the film is worth it.
The irony is CAP2 does $95m which is great, an increase over the first and that shows increase interest.
TASM2 does $91m and that's bad cause it's showing a decrease in interest even though they are similar.
The distribution of grades is also a bit telling. No solid love or hate, at least here. It looks like the grading is almost indifferent as does interest in discussing it due to the mediocrity.
Old May 6 2014, 06:06 PM   #88
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I enjoyed it for the most part although I still had issues with it. I don't feel a need to rave about it though, and even though there's the Sinister Six coming up and Smythe was in the film etc I don't feel excited enough to think ohmygod what's coming next.

Maybe it's the fact that there are so many superhero films out now companies can't just coast on the hero they're using. I mean, Spidey is my favourite but we already have X-Men out soon and then Guardians.

If the films aren't great they're going to get lost in the shuffle.

Old May 6 2014, 06:23 PM   #89
MacLeod
Admiral

Another possibility is fatigue it is after all what the fifth Spiderman film in 12 years old.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 07:36 PM   #90
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Maybe.
Maybe just fatigue after consecutive mediocre films.

If DOFP has robust discussion and box office then that assumption has to be reconsidered I'd think. DOFP will be the 7th film in 14yrs and while those have had declining box office it's not that the quality was perceived as mediocre. The last two installments have both Critical and Audience Fresh scores at RT.