Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Drade the movie...
A+ 3 5.56%
A 5 9.26%
A- 6 11.11%
B+ 6 11.11%
B 10 18.52%
B- 7 12.96%
C+ 6 11.11%
C 3 5.56%
C- 4 7.41%
D+ 2 3.70%
D 2 3.70%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5 2014, 04:30 AM   #61
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Grading & Discussion

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post

Also, when the two planes nearly collided did anyone else flinch at that moment? As if the planes were coming towards you? I would have chalked it up to me just being silly, but one of the guys I went to the movies with flinched at that same moment too.
That entire scene didn't make sense, there is a system known as TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System), the planes own radar should have detected the other plane independant of ATC and instructed the pilots what action to take i.e. climb or descend.
That whole scene was such an obvious and ham-handed attempt to up the drama. The bit with the kid in the costume was as well but I think the planes takes the cake because there was so much setup involved.

As far as flinching, I saw it in IMAX 3D but didn't really feel that in part I think because the one plane in the foreground was flying into the screen.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:06 AM   #62
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

The ending bit with Rhino was just a bit too much.

I was expecting the ending to have Aunt May introduce a new house guest, MJ, and have her do the infamous "Face it, Tiger..." line.
Old May 5 2014, 11:54 AM   #63
Tain
Ensign

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

I was expecting the ending to have Aunt May introduce a new house guest, MJ, and have her do the infamous "Face it, Tiger..." line.
I welled up like a little girl at the scene with the little boy dressed as spider-man. overblown hammy maudlin attempt to pull at my heart strings.

Mission Accomplished.
Tain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 12:16 PM   #64
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Sure was nice of Rhino to just stand there and wait while Spidey and the kid had a special moment together.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 12:27 PM   #65
Tain
Ensign

Tosk wrote: View Post
Sure was nice of Rhino to just stand there and wait while Spidey and the kid had a special moment together.
That always happens. Even when the Enterprise is under a ttack the enemy stops firing so they can have a conversation about modifying a photon torpedo and adjusting the shields and when the conversation is over, the enemy resumes firing.
Old May 5 2014, 12:28 PM   #66
Tain
Ensign

Another thing people are complaining about is the Harry\Peter friendship. My best friend for life I made in the first grade. we drifted apart in high school and went separate ways in adulthood, but we are still the best of friends and when we run into each other, its like no time has passed. we were children together, we grew up together, so i totally bought the Peter\Harry thing.
Old May 5 2014, 12:36 PM   #67
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Watching this, I was reminded of the style of Joel Schumacher. What happened to Marc Webb? It's like he forgot the kind of movie he made last time. Ignoring that, the movie felt like it had the ingredients of a story; but they forgot to connect it together effectively.

Overall - disappointed.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 02:15 PM   #68
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Tosk wrote: View Post
I sort-of thought so too. I mean, I get not wanting to shoot the kid, but once Spidey stepped in you'd think he would have done *something*.
Old May 5 2014, 07:15 PM   #69
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

They're probably saving that for ASM3...

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 10:14 PM   #70
Aldo
Admiral

Really? Did you somehow miss all the news stories saying that Shailene Woodley, and by extension MJ. Got cut from the film?
Old May 5 2014, 10:39 PM   #71
davejames
Vice Admiral

I know they won't be able to resist, but after the death of Gwen-- and the unique chemistry those two actors shared-- I really do think they should hold off at least one movie before introducing MJ as the next love interest.

Unfortunately you just know they're never going to allow a Spidey movie to be made without a cute, syrupy romance at the center to bring in the female audience.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 12:43 AM   #72
Aldo
Admiral

Captain America: The Winter Soldier didn't need a love interest for Cap and the movie did just fine. I get your point that the producers aren't going to make a Spidey movie without Mary Jane (now that Gwen is gone) but it's been proven that it can work.
Old May 6 2014, 01:58 AM   #73
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
Captain America: The Winter Soldier didn't need a love interest for Cap and the movie did just fine. I get your point that the producers aren't going to make a Spidey movie without Mary Jane (now that Gwen is gone) but it's been proven that it can work.
Oh my god, you're right! I never realized that before. Is Captain America: The Winter Solider the only solo superhero (The Avengers doesn't count) film to not have a love interest for the main character?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 02:25 AM   #74
Mr Light
Admiral

Some (not me) would argue that Black Widow was the love interest, that there was something going on between them.

On a smaller more literal scale, they were obviously setting up Agent 13 to be his next love interest.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 03:17 AM   #75
Aldo
Admiral

Agent 13 wasn't in it enough to be the love interest, but you're right. They are most likely setting her up as one for part 3.

Widow fulfilled the female sidekick role but I sure didn't see anything more than that. I see it as two people who have amazing chemistry sharing a platonic relationship. It doesn't happen too often in movies these days, so it was refreshing.