IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Drade the movie...
A+ 3 5.56%
A 5 9.26%
A- 6 11.11%
B+ 6 11.11%
B 10 18.52%
B- 7 12.96%
C+ 6 11.11%
C 3 5.56%
C- 4 7.41%
D+ 2 3.70%
D 2 3.70%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2014, 07:10 AM   #136
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Grading & Discussion

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I just thought it felt a bit disjointed and that with the gravity of the Gwen storyline they might have been better served focusing on the one villain. That's not to say no film has ever done multiple villains successfully.
Probably the expediency they executed by getting Harry in to the goblin armor. It could've waited until the ASM3, but they wanted to get it out there. The Rami trilogy set Harry up better than this.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 12:26 PM   #137
Mr Light
Admiral

<< Rhino clearly wasn't even an Oscorp-based villain until late in editing. >>

How so?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 02:30 PM   #138
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
<< Rhino clearly wasn't even an Oscorp-based villain until late in editing. >>

How so?
Aleksei was supposed to be a criminal taken down by Spidey who then turns up again at the end, better equipped to take on a superhero. And that was that.

The vault at Oscorp was seen (in trailers/featurettes) to contain the Goblin glider, Vulture's wings, Doc Ock's tentacles, and the Venom symbiote.

In the final cut of the film the symbiote was replaced with the Rhino suit, implying it was made by them even though it is clearly a more "home-made" design and covered in Russian symbols and Cyrillic writing. I'm pretty sure they even had to cheat the size of the Rhino suit to make it fit in the vault, because it's seemingly much bigger in the final scene.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 07:54 AM   #139
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Just because Norman lived to 60 or so doesn't mean Harry would; diseases don't affect everyone the same way. Though I agree that if the filmmakers meant to suggest Harry had a worse case of it, they certainly didn't make that at all clear.

... There was a lot to like and even love in the movie, but it was so frantic that when it was over I felt a bit worn down. I didn't have a raging headache and grumpy mood like I did after Man of Steel, but I certainly didn't have that post-X: DOFP elation, either. I find it odd that the slowest pace movie of the franchise, ASM1, should be followed by this, the fastest and most hectic. Maybe they were stung by the criticism of the reboot retreading too much ground from the Raimi movies, but were unable to leap straight into a universe-building story without first introducing Harry and offing Gwen, so they just crammed all that into this as fast as they could. I do hope that the third movie has a more deliberate, less frantic tone. And do we really need another MJ in the next movie already? Why not a Black Cat, someone tough enough to fight alongside him and take her share of super-punches?

ASM1: A-
ASM 2: B
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 03:40 PM   #140
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Nice Star Trek nod though, the police car sitting at the power station during the final battle with Electro was marked "1701".
I caught that too!

Though I felt they kinda ruined it by having the 1701 in frame far too long.

As for the movie... meh. Very underwhelming. I was not impressed with any of the villains, especially Jamie Foxx as McDweeby Nerdington who turns evil because Spider-Man didn't remember his name. How many times are they going to recycle this motivation for a comic villain?

As for killing off Gwen, I felt that should have been held off until the third film, at the very least. This film felt crammed full enough without adding a pointless death in the last 10 minutes. Not to mention one so telegraphed her graduation speech could have been in Morse code.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 07:29 PM   #141
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

This movie is financial train wreck for SONY even factoring in worldwide returns.
It's going to struggle to match Thor Dark World's total of $206m at this point and I'm not convinced it can do that. It'll be hemorraging more theaters this week. It lost 1K last weekend and with a Tom Cruise movie and Fault in our Stars opening TASM2 could lose another 1K theaters this weekend. There really is no reason theaters should hold onto it. FioStars is a love story that seems to have a big following and the love story was about the only thing TASM2 had going in it's favor.

It's at $192m Domestic now and just under $700m WW. It's going to do less than TASM on both fronts. The downward slide continues for the franchise. Sony may have to pull a WB and Superman Returns this film to $200m+
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 07:54 PM   #142
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

If I were Sony/Columbia, I'd scrap plans for Sinister Six and Venom or at the very least put those plans on hold. Focus all your energies onto Amazing Spider-Man 3, which is what the franchise desperately needs. Fix your own franchise before dovetailing into (unnecessary and possibly unwanted) spin-offs.

I think Marc Webb is a talented filmmaker, but he needs better writers and a better script. I would ditch Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman and whatever script they are writing/wrote. Hire a new writer that has some talent and a proven track record of success. The Sam Raimi movies had the benefit of Alvin Sargent, who was a stupendous writer. Sony/Columbia should take a page from WB's book and hire someone like Chris Terrio. Amazing Spider-Man 3 needs a breath of fresh air. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Webb gets kicked to the curb, but something tells me Sony will hold onto him. Which is fine - but they really need to find a better writer(s) or else the series is going to continue to experience a downward slide in both quality and box office sales.
Old June 2 2014, 08:12 PM   #143
MacLeod
Admiral

One thing to bear in mind though is at the Worldwide Box Office the rankings in terms of takings (unadjusted) are

Spider-Man 3
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Amazing Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man 2

So it is possible that ASM3 could take more than ASM2, the more worrying trend is that these films are taking less than the Ramis trilogy
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 08:13 PM   #144
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure how a movie that has done 700 million in business worldwide is a train wreck? When it is all said and done, it will turn a profit for Sony.
Old June 2 2014, 08:16 PM   #145
BillJ
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
One thing to bear in mind though is at the Worldwide Box Office the rankings in terms of takings (unadjusted) are

Spider-Man 3
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Amazing Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man 2

So it is possible that ASM3 could take more than ASM2, the more worrying trend is that these films are taking less than the Ramis trilogy
There has been five of these movies in 12 years. The downward trend shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
Old June 2 2014, 08:19 PM   #146
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

There has been five of these movies in 12 years. The downward trend shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
I was thinking the same thing. Just like with Trek the franchise is suffering content fatigue. It needs a rest.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 08:39 PM   #147
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Just like with Trek the franchise is suffering content fatigue. It needs a rest.
Really? Only two movies in the last couple years and it needs a rest? Both movies were financially successful enough. Star Trek Into Darkness got a lot of flack from fans (and understandably so) but it actually got decent reviews, as did the first Abrams movie.

If anything, I think after the next movie it needs to go back to TV. That's where Star Trek truly belongs and can flourish. It needs someone like Ronald D. Moore or Bryan Fuller to revive it, but that's just me.

As for Spider-Man, that's a case where I can understand franchise fatigue playing a factor. I think the last two movies being not very good also probably had something to do with it. I actually think there's merit in spin-offs like Sinister Six (if anything because have we ever seen a superhero movie without a superhero that focuses solely on the villains?) or even Venom since the Eddie Brock character is really interesting and badass if done right. I just think Sony needs to get their flailing Spider-Man franchise back on track before focusing any energies onto spin-offs.

$700 million worldwide isn't necessarily a train wreck, but it definitely signals a downward slide. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn't do well critically, either. It doesn't bode well for the future of the franchise. The Amazing Spider-Man 3 NEEDS to be good now or else the franchise, at least in its current incarnation, is doomed. Although it might not matter anyway - I'm sure Sony/Columbia will do a soft reboot after the third installment since Webb & Garfield have already said they don't intend to return for the fourth one. Although if Amazing Spider-Man 3 flounders... I'd wait a decent amount of time before doing yet another Spider-Man movie. Franchise fatigue would have unequivocally set in at that point.
Old June 2 2014, 09:17 PM   #148
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

The problem with that is that it appears Sony can't wait a decent amount of time before doing another movie. Supposedly the terms of their agreement with Marvel stipulates that they have to release a new Spider-Man movie within five years of the last one in order to hold on to the rights.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 09:42 PM   #149
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
The problem with that is that it appears Sony can't wait a decent amount of time before doing another movie. Supposedly the terms of their agreement with Marvel stipulates that they have to release a new Spider-Man movie within five years of the last one in order to hold on to the rights.
Well, that and Sony isn't exactly healthy financially. Other than Spider-Man, they don't have much for proven winners at the box office.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2014, 10:12 PM   #150
BillJ
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
But currently they are averaging one every two-and-a-half years.